Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight has slightly creeped up, whats up?

So I noticed a couple things lately, one being that i have slightly gained weight. I'm 5 weeks postop.

I am eating eggs and yogurt for my 5/6 meals a day. 2 meals would be eggs, the rest yogurts. Maybe even 1 meal of eggs. I'm using real salt, which MIGHT be bloating me and causing me to retain Water?

But lately it seems like I'm getting into the habit of getting myself a latte or frapp from a coffee shop when I have the money. It's not exactly healthy it just fills my sweet tooth to be my "large" meal. It's medium, with whipped cream. Before when I had it, I couldn't finish it in 30min. Too sweet, too..tasty. I would get the runs after. Now, yesterday, I had it, and lately there have been no runs, and it took me maybe 5 min, 10min maximum to finish it. Does this mean my stomach just healed really fast in that week of having them, or did I stretch my stomach out in that week? The frappe I'm gonna say is 400 cal maximum. I can't ask the owner cuz it's a small business and I doubt they know. Typically in a day I would have 4-5 yogurts (400-500cal, and 1.5eggs (2eggwhites, 1yolk...gonna say that's 130cal). Then sometimes I sprinkle quite a bit of cheese on there, say 200cal. f**k, maybe even more.

So I'm looking on the WORST of days to be 500+330+400. This is liberal estimation. That's 1230 calories. So WHY am I gaining weight, when that's MUCH less than what I was eating before at 315lbs, now I'm 278, up from 270 at my lowest post-sleeve.

I've also been drinking those drinks with a straw, which apparently we aren't supposed to do. Perhaps that's why my belly felt queasy and I had the runs when I started drinking those frapps. :/

I feel like I'm doing everything wrong but I'm not sure what to cut out first. Ever since I started getting out more, I found myself migrating to coffee shops to relax then came the drinks.

I'm not even working out much at all. My moms been on my ass about it and I just say I walk around downtown, where mainly I go from point A to B

So in comparison, my husband and I are eating 600 calories a day. And he's 6 feet tall and 248 lbs. AND even at that, we stalled for a week. 1200 calories is a lot. Some vets in maintenance can eat that, but most can't lose on that.

Moreover, we're keeping carbs under 50 all day. A Starbucks medium frappe into has 72 gms of carbs and 430 calories even before whipped cream. Just for comparison, many days I eat less calories and less carbs than that ALL DAY.

My advice to you is to not drink your calories. We all know that drinking your calories will make you put on weight as it is considered a sure-fire way to eat around your sleeve.

I'd suggest download something like my fitness pal and track everything you put in your mouth. Eat at least 70 gms of Protein, less than 50 gms of carbs, and drink 64 oz of fluids in a day. I think you will love the results!

Good luck and I'm sure you can do this!

Go back to the basics: 120 grams Protein a day, low fat, low sugar etc... you know what you need to do ;)

I have body aches.. Is this happening to somebody else?????, down almost 40 pounds in two months but the body aches are etting worse

I would recommend using a calorie tracking program such as Myfitnesspal, or whatever you find easiest to use. It will give you a better picture of your calorie consumption.

Using McDonald's medium carmel frappe as an example: 550 cal, 9g Protein, 23g fat, 79g carb (71g is sugar, and you can divide that by 12 to get the equivalent tablespoons), and no Fiber.

So, I'm guessing getting diarrhea was more likely due to the 23g of fat and roughly 6 tablespoons of sugar you consumed than drinking through the straw. My guidance is to aim for 25-30g Protein in each meal, and 9g just isn't enough. I would highly recommend you find a healthier alternative for these drinks if you are going to have something like this with any regularity. I'm not one to recommend cutting fat and sugar too far, but you are really not doing yourself any favors here.

WIth your described weight gain and diet, I would think that your sodium consumption would be an unlikely culprit, you are probably not exceeding the sodium recommendations.

Best of luck and congratulations on your weight loss so far!

You should try chike coffee Protein Drink. Yummy and 21 gms of Protein in each scoop. It's a little expensive but cheaper than buying drinks outside I think.

I have body aches.. Is this happening to somebody else?????, down almost 40 pounds in two months but the body aches are etting worse

Yeah, actually. I'm only a month out, and have noticed my arms and legs ache for no good reason, as far as I can tell. I haven't figured it out yet, but 2 possible culprits for me *might* be dehydration or low Iron. I've not been getting enough Fluid and i've been terrible with my Vitamin compliance... I plan to work to improve both and see what happens before I get too excited about it.

Good luck!

Ok...before I give my opinion let me just stress that this is just that...my opinion. I am about 8 weeks out. Sleeved on 6/25.

I totally understand the latte/frappe urge. I too used to indulge. ;-) I would suggest a substitute. No it's not gonna taste the same but it's better for you right now. Try a latte with non fat milk and stevia and maybe try a little flavor. And no whipped cream...not right now. I know...it sucks...but listen...everyone says that the first two years of the sleeve are the best time to take advantage of this tool. You just went through major surgery...you gotta slow down cuz it sounds like you are digging up some old habits...and it would be so easy to fall back into our old ways....you gotta resist the urge! Fight!

As far as food, I would swap out some of those yogurts for more meat - hamburger, steak, fish, etc. I love yogurt too but some of them are sweet and you can get more bang for your buck in terms of grams of Protein with meat. Eating more dense Protein may also help curb your appetite for that sweet coffee.

As far as exercise, do you have headphones? If so, put on your sneakers and get moving! I have to push myself most days, cuz I'd rather not...but then I think about the fact that less than two months ago, I was laid up in the hospital getting my stomach cut out...and I didn't do that for nothing so I've got to stay on course!!

This is your time. You have the opportunity to create a new you. This is your chance for a do over! You will succeed! You've already lost weight! Oh yeah, you didn't mention Water....get that Water in...get yourself a special cup that you use just for water... a little corny, maybe...but my big red cup has helped me get it in!!

Ok, let's see...I think that's it...hope this isn't too preachy...if so, sorry...just wanted to pass on some of the encouragement and advice that I have received!

You know what to do kiddo...JUST DO IT!!! :-)

I wish you every success!

So in comparison, my husband and I are eating 600 calories a day. And he's 6 feet tall and 248 lbs. AND even at that, we stalled for a week. 1200 calories is a lot. Some vets in maintenance can eat that, but most can't lose on that.

Moreover, we're keeping carbs under 50 all day. A Starbucks medium frappe into has 72 gms of carbs and 430 calories even before whipped cream. Just for comparison, many days I eat less calories and less carbs than that ALL DAY.

My advice to you is to not drink your calories. We all know that drinking your calories will make you put on weight as it is considered a sure-fire way to eat around your sleeve.

I'd suggest download something like my fitness pal and track everything you put in your mouth. Eat at least 70 gms of Protein, less than 50 gms of carbs, and drink 64 oz of fluids in a day. I think you will love the results!

Good luck and I'm sure you can do this!

Sorry about basically duplicating your advice... I was typing as responses came in, so I didn't see them until after I hit post...

Sorry about basically duplicating your advice... I was typing as responses came in' date=' so I didn't see them until after I hit post...[/quote']

I thought it was great that we both independently said the same thing! More validity that way :). I'm on the app and I can't even tell when new posts come in so I could have as easily duplicated yours.

I am 8 weeks put and not eating anywhere near what you r eating. That sounds like a lot of food! I eat 1 or maybe 2 eggs over the day, 1 yogert, a Protein Shake, some cheese. Maybe try cutting back a bit.

It's not the raw number of calories. Even at 1250, OP is still running a significant daily deficit (I weigh about the same and burn roughly 2500cal/day on average, so OP would be running a similar deficit). I think it's far more likely to be the quality of the calories than the total number of calories. Could be partly some metabolic reaction to the sugar intake (speaking of which, OP, are the yogurts sugar free? Each one of those could add another tablespoon of sugar to your total), inflammation, Fluid retention, who knows? Plus, OP is right in that "3 week stall" window, where the body may be replacing released glycogen and Water. A lot of things could be happening, but my best guess is that cutting out the sugary drink and going back to basics will put OP back to the baseline. If there's still a problem, I would say it's time to talk to the doc.

I can't lose eating 1200 calories a day. You might want to try to decrease the calories and skip the coffee for a while. Just leaving that off would be enough to decrease your calories significantly.