Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Make room for me on the bench! (Dr. Aceves)

Well, I had my surgery yesterday, and today I am sitting in my hospital room feeling really, really good. I'm actually surprised at how well I'm feeling right now (knock on wood). When I was still pre-op and researching as much as I could, I really appreciated the people who wrote about their experiences, especially those that went to my doctor. Knowing what to expect was SO helpful for me. So, I promised myself I would do the same thing. I'm only one day out from surgery, so I will continue to update, but I can tell you this much: What everyone says is true. The hospital is small, clean, modern and ALL the people are nice and helpful. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos each come in and talk to you separately for as long as you need (before surgery). They have each come and checked on my afterwards also. My anesthesiologist was amazing also (Andre?). I had surgery two years ago and woke up with severe nausea and dry heaving. I told this to Andre, and he said he would do his best to control that, and he did. I didn't wake up with nausea and I haven't felt any yet (and I started drinking Clear Liquids a few hours ago). My mother is staying in the room with me, and there is plenty of room. There is a couch in the room that she sleeps on. I am going to try to post some pics here. That's about it for now.... very happy to be on the other side of this surgery and SO excited to get started with my new lifestyle!! :-)

post-64656-13813668977306_thumb.jpg

Congrats!!! I'm so nervous. My surgery is next month. Just nervous about the anesthesia. We're you nervous about being put to sleep?

I have had two other surgeries in my life, and both times I woke up from anesthesia very very nauseous, so that's what I was worried about. I didn't want to wake up and start vomiting right after having stomach surgery. But, I talked with the anesthesiologist beforehand and he made me very comfortable. And sure enough, I didn't have any nausea.

What a nice room!

Congrats. I'm so excited for you and also relieved to hear your adventure as I'm scheduled for the sleeve on Sept. 17. I needed to read your post and I'm glad I did. Thank you. :)

Looks like an hotel room!!

Well' date=' I had my surgery yesterday, and today I am sitting in my hospital room feeling really, really good. I'm actually surprised at how well I'm feeling right now (knock on wood). When I was still pre-op and researching as much as I could, I really appreciated the people who wrote about their experiences, especially those that went to my doctor. Knowing what to expect was SO helpful for me. So, I promised myself I would do the same thing. I'm only one day out from surgery, so I will continue to update, but I can tell you this much: What everyone says is true. The hospital is small, clean, modern and ALL the people are nice and helpful. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos each come in and talk to you separately for as long as you need (before surgery). They have each come and checked on my afterwards also. My anesthesiologist was amazing also (Andre?). I had surgery two years ago and woke up with severe nausea and dry heaving. I told this to Andre, and he said he would do his best to control that, and he did. I didn't wake up with nausea and I haven't felt any yet (and I started drinking clear liquids a few hours ago). My mother is staying in the room with me, and there is plenty of room. There is a couch in the room that she sleeps on. I am going to try to post some pics here. That's about it for now.... very happy to be on the other side of this surgery and SO excited to get started with my new lifestyle!! :-)[/quote']

I swear that is my old room at Almater!!! Lol!

My mom recognizes the couch. :-D

I'm glad everything is going so well. I had very little pain but unfortunately I did get the nausea. They quashed it quickly but I did get sick.

Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos really took the time to set us at ease. The anesthesiologist was so personable and helpful. Candid and kind.

I'm glad you're up to sharing with us. So many people helped calm my fears whilst preop so I shared as much as possible as soon as possible.

I hope the rest of your recovery stays on this course of easy and uneventful.

Congrats on joining us on the Loser's Bench.

Okay, so I was hoping I was going to be the exception and have a PERFECT recovery, but so much for that! Actually, overall it has been really good so far. Today I'm two days out from surgery, and yesterday I got to start on clear liquids a bit. Well, I guess it was going so well that I drank a little too much, because it wasn't long before some of it came back up. Not fun. But, today I had the barium x-ray done, and everything is looking good in there. So, time for my first bowl of chicken broth!

Scooting over...welcome to sleeved side.

Okay' date=' so I was hoping I was going to be the exception and have a PERFECT recovery, but so much for that! Actually, overall it has been really good so far. Today I'm two days out from surgery, and yesterday I got to start on clear liquids a bit. Well, I guess it was going so well that I drank a little too much, because it wasn't long before some of it came back up. Not fun. But, today I had the barium x-ray done, and everything is looking good in there. So, time for my first bowl of chicken broth![/quote']

The chicken broth tasted great. I swear I could taste the veggies that helped flavor it.

The chicken broth tasted great. I swear I could taste the veggies that helped flavor it.

Amanda, you're right... the chicken broth is awesome. We asked about the veggies that flavor it, and although I'm sure there's other stuff too, we found out the secret (well, maybe not so secret in Mexico) ingredient: Chayote. My mother is going to try to replicate it at home. :-)

In case anyone is considering surgery with Dr. Aceves, and would like a visual of what to expect, (facilities, etc), I have posted some pictures here:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/gallery/album/6176-experience-with-dr-aceves/

I know seeing any pics or videos really helped calm my nerves when I was pre-op, so I hope these help someone.

In case anyone is considering surgery with Dr. Aceves' date=' and would like a visual of what to expect, (facilities, etc), I have posted some pictures here:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/gallery/album/6176-experience-with-dr-aceves/

I know seeing any pics or videos really helped calm my nerves when I was pre-op, so I hope these help someone.

I wish I had taken more pics.

You, uh, didn't eat the buffalo did you?!

I wish I had taken more pics.

You, uh, didn't eat the buffalo did you?!

Hahaha.... no, it was just a regular steak. Very good, though! Oh, and also shrimp bisque and brownie dessert that I was too embarrassed to post! LOL.... those days are over. :-)