Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I feel like maybe I should leave well enough alone. I have only ever been hospitalized for my 3 totally perfect pregnancies. Beautiful labor and deliveries with no drugs and no stitches. My A1C is perfect. My blood pressure is 110/70 on average. I have energy. I don't have heartburn or nausea or frequent headaches. The only thing that's wrong with me is appearance. I look like shrek. Let's face it, I'm doing this for selfish reasons. What If I go prodding and cutting and stapling and then have to deal with throwing up and malnutrition and Hair loss and passing out and feeling weak and being cold? Will I really be happier then?

I'm 25. I know things could go downhill fast. My dad is diabetic. Also my maternal grandparents. As a nurse I've seen the devastation that diabetes can have on a body. But should I just leave things alone until there's a legit medical reason for this surgery and not just how I fit into clothes?

you didn't state your weight I had the same feelings 3 years ago and thought I could loose weight on my own I didn't I got bigger my highest weight 298lbs. I never looked at myself in the mirror because I didn't want to face the truth. But now I'm so happy I have my sleeve to help me with my weight loss I had so many excuses for not having the surgery that I still don't believe I did it and I will tell you it was all worth it I don't have any vomiting Hair loss or passing out if you follow your doctor's orders you will do great. Fear of the unknown is the biggest obstacle to overcome. I didn't have high blood pressure, or diabetic everything was all good but my weight was out of whack. Best thing I've done for myself :tongue2:

I do have severe Migraines and 3 doctors have told me losing weight will help them get better but, other than that, I have no obesity related illnesses either. Normal blood pressure, no diabetes, nothing... No family history, either. My reason for wanting the surgery is mostly cosmetic, but also as a preventive measure. I've thought long & hard about the risks and weighed my options, but I know I will never be truly happy if I don't get my weight under control. I'm 32 and I have too much life left to live to be miserable!

Today I feel like maybe I should leave well enough alone. I have only ever been hospitalized for my 3 totally perfect pregnancies. Beautiful labor and deliveries with no drugs and no stitches. My A1C is perfect. My blood pressure is 110/70 on average. I have energy. I don't have heartburn or nausea or frequent headaches. The only thing that's wrong with me is appearance. I look like shrek. Let's face it' date=' I'm doing this for selfish reasons. What If I go prodding and cutting and stapling and then have to deal with throwing up and malnutrition and hair loss and passing out and feeling weak and being cold? Will I really be happier then?

I'm 25. I know things could go downhill fast. My dad is diabetic. Also my maternal grandparents. As a nurse I've seen the devastation that diabetes can have on a body. But should I just leave things alone until there's a legit medical reason for this surgery and not just how I fit into clothes?[/quote']

My surgery is a week away and I am feeling the same way. Scared to death, rethinking everything. I started out at 317 and am now 291. I'm about 5 foot 10. I am petrified of doing permanent damage to my body. I have no major health concerns outside of my weight but I also think mental health is important, confidence & esteem. Sometimes I'm motivated by wanting access to more clothes. It seems shallow but it does impact my quality of life. I've had a horrible time with the liquid diet (it literally is making me ill /the lack of fiber). I was talking to my husband about my doubts. IDK I just wanted to say I understand your concern : /

Today I feel like maybe I should leave well enough alone.

I had that thought run through my head about a week before surgery. (Although I was 43, no kids, etc.) As I'm sure others have mentioned, look at the long term health benefits of getting to a healthy weight. Right NOW you don't have health issues, but what about in 5-10 years? What if you don't lose the baby weight and gain more?

My only regret with the surgery is that I didn't have it sooner. :)

Ty for the reply. I'm 5'9 and 270. Although I just had a baby 3 months ago and out on a lot. My regular weight is 240.

I am 5'9 and am 277.. I have gone through this stage a couple of times now.. Actually I am going through this now :( I have only been hospitalized 4 times.. once for each baby :) No other real issues.. I do have headaches often, but nothing a little time relevers can't take care of. My latest issue is that I withdrew money from my 401k to help pay for my surgery. Now that I have that check I am thinking of all of the things I could be doing with this money. I finally broke down and asked my husband if he thought I was being selfish for taking the money out and using it on surgery.. his response was this " it's just money, who gives a sh#+" He really snapped me out of my 2nd guessing :) I just think about how although my kids would never admit they are embarrased of me.. I would be at their ages.. they won't have to be. I can take family pictures and be happy in them. I can wear a bra and panties in bed and not cover my mid section with a blanket so my husband doesn't get grossed out. There are far too many pros for me. I just have to remind myself of these often and get past this.

Good luck to you, you'll make the decision that is best for you. :)

I had my surgery 11 weeks ago at the age of 41. I was fat, but very active, had perfect blood pressure, no aches, pains and needed no meds for anything other than seizures due to previous brain surgery (totally unrelated to weight).

Other than physical appearance, I had no immediate need to have surgery which is exactly why I did it. Why wait until my back was bad, my knees were shot, I needed to control my sugar with pills? Why not go into surgery as healthy as possible to avoid further complications?

Only you can decide when and if you are ready. Once you've exhausted all other options and have tried everything, this is a great solution. It's hard work, weight doesn't just magically disappear, your entire life is changed drastically but for me, it's worth it. Sixty one pounds down and life is great.

You won't be free of comorbiditied forever. Your body can't continue to sail through carrying excess weight. But if you're not ready, don't do it. Give yourself time to try every other option. There is no need to rush.

Good luck to you' date=' you'll make the decision that is best for you. :)[/quote']

Thank you! My mind is made up. I'm doing it. I just have to go over every possible scenario in my mind. I will continue to do it until the anesthesiologist knocks me out.

What a great attitude your hubby has! Mine is very supportive but if this was costing us money I'm sure he wouldn't be :)

My surgery is a week away and I am feeling the same way. Scared to death' date=' rethinking everything. I started out at 317 and am now 291. I'm about 5 foot 10. I am petrified of doing permanent damage to my body. I have no major health concerns outside of my weight but I also think mental health is important, confidence & esteem. Sometimes I'm motivated by wanting access to more clothes. It seems shallow but it does impact my quality of life. I've had a horrible time with the liquid diet (it literally is making me ill /the lack of fiber). I was talking to my husband about my doubts. IDK I just wanted to say I understand your concern : /[/quote']

I am also 5-10 and highest was 316 and SW 295. I am 47. I can tell you that over my life even though no co morbities that life just got harder. picking up things off the floor, going up stairs, lugging groceries, avoiding looking in mirrors, clothes shopping, trying to look halfway decent at a wedding or other function, pictures with my kids, airplane rides incredibly uncomfortable, seeing BP and sugar start to creep up though still normal and in and on. So at 25 or even 35 the weight may not impair life's activities but overtime it gets a lot harder. I wanted to avoid diabetes, but I also wanted to improve life's little things like being able to get down to get stuff out of the cabinet and be able to get up without a crane!

You have to make this decision yourself but trust me it is for a lot more than cosmetic reasons. It will change you life. though some changes are difficult because your whole eating style must change. it is a serious surgery and deserves very serious thought. I am now 240 and my husband called my skinny today. I know I am far from that but I am way healthier and as a side effect I look pretty good for still being obese! can't wait to be overweight!

Good Luck

Eileen

I love you people!!!! Everyone is so positive and helpful. Sorry to get so emotional...lol! I was reading the concerns of MRS.FullerRN and just the positive and helpful respones got to me. I'm all choked up.

To Mrs.FullerRN....I am just about 1 month out from surgery...I too have many many doubts as if I was doing the right thing....my surgery was on a Monday-that Sunday I thought about calling the doctors office and leaving a message saying I was canceling my surgery. I'm so glad I went thru with it. I'm lost 35 lbs so far and feeling so much better about myself. I had almost turned into a hermit, never wanting to go anywhere because I was ashamed of how I looked. I don't think you will regret your decision if you have the surgery, but again it has to be your decision. I wish you the best of luck and health!

I'm 62. I was going to wait until 65 so Medicare would pay for it...my ins wouldn't. My dr said I'd have diabetics by then. I've had many surgeries...run over by a dump truck, head-on collision , rear ended by a semi, 3 C-sections, a virus killing my platelets , a brain hemorrhage , one hip replacement, injections in my neck and back. Needless to say I paid for the surgery myself...6 weeks out...and did it for my health...I have too many scars to do it for looks. I just wanted to be healthier. Im 4'11" My highest weight was 265. I weighed 200 before the surgery and have lost 35 lbs. there comes a point in ones life where you gotta do what you gotta do! I stayed in the hospital 2 nights, stayed at a friends house 1night. And then drove 90 miles home. Don't let fear steal your dream.

My surgery is 2 weeks away && while I'm totally pumped about it, I'm also scared. I am also healthy aside from the obvious weight problems. I'm going through my pre-op diet now && I have 11days to go till the surgery. It's been definitely a mental challenge that has got me doubting...but I think it's normal. Change can be scary && although the surgery can be very beneficial...you have to be sure. Currently I'm struggling with this diet but Im focusing on the longterm benefits && how much healthier ill be && I get to stick around longer for my son in the future. All the best to you!

I am also 5-10 and highest was 316 and SW 295. I am 47. I can tell you that over my life even though no co morbities that life just got harder. picking up things off the floor' date=' going up stairs, lugging groceries, avoiding looking in mirrors, clothes shopping, trying to look halfway decent at a wedding or other function, pictures with my kids, airplane rides incredibly uncomfortable, seeing BP and sugar start to creep up though still normal and in and on. So at 25 or even 35 the weight may not impair life's activities but overtime it gets a lot harder. I wanted to avoid diabetes, but I also wanted to improve life's little things like being able to get down to get stuff out of the cabinet and be able to get up without a crane!

You have to make this decision yourself but trust me it is for a lot more than cosmetic reasons. It will change you life. though some changes are difficult because your whole eating style must change. it is a serious surgery and deserves very serious thought. I am now 240 and my husband called my skinny today. I know I am far from that but I am way healthier and as a side effect I look pretty good for still being obese! can't wait to be overweight!

Good Luck

Eileen

[/quote']

Thanks Eileen for the response. I think it is normal to be nervous and I am a natural over thinker! I am not happy with my weight, although I don't judge others who happily occupy larger bodies. I've seen my mom physically struggle with diabetes and mobility, although she is managing through diet & exercise (she lost 45-50 pounds recently); she tells me that it is hard for her at her age.

The three family members who know what I'm doing did stage a mini interrogation the other night- questioning me to make sure I'm ready. It was intense!

But this week I'm going to focus on getting prepared physically & mentally!

August 13th is my date.