Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Hair" Today, Gone Tomorrow...

My hair is already so thin, I'm scared s#%tless! I started hat shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

post-50545-13813668221134_thumb.jpg

I think the Hair loss is inevitable with this surgery.. I had very thick hair before and did lose a lot.. I am 10 months out and it is starting to grow back in now.. its an akward stage becuase i have the fine baby hairs everywhere. It is coming through all over my head, so wearing my hair up is not an option for me right now... I knew the hair loss would come, I have very thin parts that even with longer hair I have to comb it just right. Its scary, and I feel that everyone is staring at my thin hair when before I would always get compliments on it, but I would rather have thin hair and lost the weight that I lost then have tons of beautiful hair and still overweight :)

I have longish hair (it's about half way down my back). My hair is thick and I have always had A LOT of it. Yeah- I have to clean the drain with every shower and it looks like a wig shop on the floor in my bathroom. I think keeping my hair longer has actually helped conceal the loss. I'm almost 9 months out and it's still coming out although it has slowed down. And I do have some baby re growth starting :)

Yea, I lost a lot if hair too. But had this problem before with a knee scope surgery. Fortunate I wear a wig. I'm gonna try Biotin again too.

Amanda! That's a big wad of hair! I have thick hair too' date=' so maybe it won't be noticeable. That is scary though! :/[/quote']

I got a trim today. Added some layers.

I really want to color it but I'm waiting a little longer.

The Biotin, the collagen doesn't help! I', 4.5 months out and myy hair started falling out last week. I have very fine hair and not a lot of it. Thankfully my hair is naturally curly so I can "arrange" it to hide the balding spots - but eventually I'll be left with a couple of curls either side of my head. Thinking of changing my gender and then religion to that of hasidic judaism (not intended to offend anyone) that way can get away with the bald head and the two long curls by my ears!!

I thought I could handle this.....but truth is I'm getting emotional and very sensitive about the whole thing. As someone else wrote - I'm no Demi Moore and can't pull off the GI Jane thing! OK, gonna go cry now.......

Biotin has helped me! Didn't think so but my hairdresser showed me all my new hair that is growing in but short!

Yep, hairloss happens. Good news is it stops. I will be 6 months post op tomorrow and my hairloss has reduced dramatically. My weapons of choice are Biotin Shampoo, and 10,000 mcg of biotin a day (thats the strongest dosage), and most of all I didnt stress about it. Take that picture of your fallen hair and delete it. Looks whatever falls out pick it up, throw it out and dont look back. My hair was down to my waist and my hairdresser trimmed off about 3 inches. I refused to cut it all off because I told myself it wouldnt come to that. Stay positive! Mind over matter!

My surgery is on August 19th, and I have fine hair as it is...so I just had it all cut off yesterday, and I'm rocking it! (See profile pic!)

I'm ready for this! Game on, LOL!

I hit the Vitamin Shoppe. They have a product called "great Hair" - it has worked for me. I know I am a guy, but when I got big I used to say, "Yeah, I am fat, but I have great hair." So although it is different with the ladies it was still very important to me. I have on occasion seen a bit of thinning over the last year and I get back on it so fast - and it works great. I am not saying their product is any better than others -- it is a Biotin blend with other regular Vitamins. I take 1 big multi and 1 Great hair and I am looking good.

I read somewhere that fish oil is very helpful with hair loss- has anyone tried it and does it effect digestion and/or have any ill effects?

I read somewhere that fish oil is very helpful with hair loss- has anyone tried it and does it effect digestion and/or have any ill effects?

My hair started thinning years ago. I started taking fish oil for an entirely different reason, and after a few weeks noticed that my hair had stopped thinning. Fish Oil also helps with dry skin. If you are pre-op, you will have to stop taking it before the surgery, as it thins your blood.

About 6 months ago, I also started using Revita Shampoo and conditioner. It's expensive, but has really helped to thicken and regrow my hair. The shampoo helps prevent shedding, and the conditioner helps hair regrow and thicken. Revita also has scalp treatments with minoxidil. And even an eyelash treatment. Avail on Amazon.

I am 3 months post-op and I haven't lost a strand.

Fish Oil capsules can be large. Since my surgery I have switched to an orange-flavored gel, in individual packs. It's called Coromega. Avail at GNC.

Thank you! Taking notes & hopeful!!!

RJ - I have question about what you posted above...do you mean ALL of your hair was gone? Do you mean you were literally bald? The hair thing started for me recently (over 5 months now)...and I am petrified. I have hair to my waist, really thick...it is all I have really as far as my looks. I am taking Biotin, Prenatal Vitamins, all the ones required by my doctor, and I started using Biotin/Collagen Shampoo & conditioner. I only wash once a week. I am styling and using styling products/tools as little as possible. I knew that there would be hair loss, but I had never read a post that someone went totally and actually bald til now. I am freaking out now.... good luck to all of us with our weight loss, our hair, our skin, and all else!!

Yes I do...I was on a IV for 5 months and did not eat any food....No one showed me a mirror so I had no idea it was that bad...I had 10 surgeries and was very sick...My hair was very long before and thick but fine....I loved my hair....anyway.....I also lost it due to knotting up..They decided to cut the knots out instead of combing them out....Everyone was warned not to tell me how bad it was.....It wasn't until I got home that I looked in the mirror and saw it for the first time....My hairdresser came over to my house and cut the strands off.....When I woke up from a 19 day coma..my back of my hair was matted into a giant ball which they could not get out...So they cut it out and so it began...It won't happen like this for you.....My situation turned out different from anyone's on here that I have read.....