Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Hair" Today, Gone Tomorrow...

I have been using this new Shampoo by Loreal for the last little bit. It's called triple resist reinforcing shampoo and conditioner and I have been using the spray on strength solution. It has actually seemed to slow down the shedding (or maybe it's just my time to stop since I'm almost 10 months out). On the plus side- my hair looks a bit healthier- it had gotten pretty dry and brittle and looked it.

I am glad to read this thread. No one ever mentioned Hair loss. Luckily. As an African American woman I used to wear a pretty bald look in a very short afro. I also occasionally rock wigs as my hair is already thin in the top front area (a male patterned baldness). Now I will at least be prepared to go back to my previous look. Thanks for sharing. I am per-op looking at surgery in the last two weeks of October.

I am 3 weeks post-op. I am dreading the day that I start to lose my hair. It is part of my identity. It is one of the few things people would make positive comments about. My hair is down to my buttocks. It is blonde, fine and medium thinness/thickness. It has taken me nearly 20 years to get this beautiful mane. ARGH!

I am 3 weeks post-op. I am dreading the day that I start to lose my hair. It is part of my identity. It is one of the few things people would make positive comments about. My hair is down to my buttocks. It is blonde, fine and medium thinness/thickness. It has taken me nearly 20 years to get this beautiful mane. ARGH!

There will be a whole host of new things for people to make positive comments about! And the Hair loss is temporary. (although I bet that part is more reassuring to someone that didn't spend 20 years growing out their hair...)

I am 3 weeks post-op. I am dreading the day that I start to lose my hair. It is part of my identity. It is one of the few things people would make positive comments about. My hair is down to my buttocks. It is blonde' date=' fine and medium thinness/thickness. It has taken me nearly 20 years to get this beautiful mane. ARGH![/quote']

I too am dreading the day I start to lose my hair. Like you it's part of my identity. My surgery is on November 4th and I have already started taking all my Vitamins and my Biotin w/ keratin. I guess when your fat like I am... we only tend to have are hair, finger nails and great damn shoes. These are the only things which I still have to make me feel feminine.

post-63545-13813670416749_thumb.png

[ATTACH]18980[/ATTACH]

I lost a crapload of hair but luckily I had too much. Now it is back thick and out of control again!

My hair is my most striking feature and the idea of losing it scared me too... but its all good now.

I've found a system that "seems" to be working. I believe it is working because when I am remiss in sticking with it the shedding increases.

I take an extra B-Complex with Biotin plus my Multivitamin. I make sure to add a Protein soaked something to my day: ie a shake or Quest bar.

I've also started using this shampoo/conditioner combo which smells amazing!!!!

post-39617-13813670539617_thumb.jpg

I have found some new growth in the past several weeks and I've been using coconut oil

I recently bought some dr miracle hair oil from Jamco beauty supply and have loved the feeling if my hair

I've found a system that "seems" to be working. I believe it is working because when I am remiss in sticking with it the shedding increases.

I take an extra B-Complex with Biotin plus my Multivitamin. I make sure to add a Protein soaked something to my day: ie a shake or Quest bar.

I've also started using this shampoo/conditioner combo which smells amazing!!!!

I'm pre-op, with long curly hair that sheds anyways...I've already started Biotin 5,000 (I guess I'll up it to 10) and this same Shampoo and I have noticed less shedding already! I will keep up this plan after surgery...

Aveda is offering a free trio sample pack of Invati plus free shipping with a $50 purchase. They are also offering free shipping with any Invati purchase. I red a little about the Invati line. It's designed to increase length, strength, and volume by preventing breakage, so I'm not certain how effective it would be with loss due to a large amount of hair having entered the resting phase at the same time.

www.aveda.com

Aveda also has a line called Pure Abundance. I've used this line quite a bit because I have fine (though plentiful so far) hair. These products are basically just a volumizing line, so the hair you have, just looks like more. I actually like this line quite a lot, particularly the clay conditioner. Aveda products are ridiculously expensive, but I just really like them. I periodically go back to cheaper products because of the price, but I always find myself coming back to Aveda products.

Anyway, just an fyi on a couple options.

Aveda is offering a free trio sample pack of Invati plus free shipping with a 50 purchase. They are also offering free shipping with any Invati purchase. I red a little about the Invati line. It's designed to increase length' date=' strength, and volume by preventing breakage, so I'm not certain how effective it would be with loss due to a large amount of hair having entered the resting phase at the same time. www.aveda.com Aveda also has a line called Pure Abundance. I've used this line quite a bit because I have fine (though plentiful so far) hair. These products are basically just a volumizing line, so the hair you have, just looks like more. I actually like this line quite a lot, particularly the clay conditioner. Aveda products are ridiculously expensive, but I just really like them. I periodically go back to cheaper products because of the price, but I always find myself coming back to Aveda products. Anyway, just an fyi on a couple options.[/quote']

I'm using both those. The invati may be effective, I don't know. It's very very liquid and one goes rough the rather expensive bottle rather quickly. But who knows, maybe it does what it says. I love the pure abundance too. Great stuff.

I am losing a handful of hair everyday and more than I can even think about when I wash it. I started with enough hair for two or three people and hope I wind up with at least enough for me. The thing that I haven't seen anyone else talk about on this thread is my scalp HURTS! If I put my hair up at all (pin bangs or pony tail) I have to put my hand to my scalp when I take it down because it hurts so bad. I looked it up and supposedly it is a side effect of excessive Hair loss.< /p>

I'm using both those. The invati may be effective, I don't know. It's very very liquid and one goes rough the rather expensive bottle rather quickly. But who knows, maybe it does what it says. I love the pure abundance too. Great stuff.

Do you mean the scalp treatment you're supposed to use morning and night? Yeah, I bet that would get expensive!!! I haven't tried any of it yet. I'm trying to wait to see if my hair actually starts to fall out before I actually do anything. I'm holding out hope! Prior to this surgery, I was the kind of patient that pretty much never experienced side effects, had an Iron stomach, didn't have negative reactions to pain meds... so I'm hoping that pattern returns to me now that I've had my little glitch. Either way, I doubt that I will have enough patience to do anything that requires 2 treatments a day. I'm lucky to spend the time to dry my hair in the morning and brush my teeth before I fall into bed at night. Doing some kind of evening hair treatment every night??? Never gonna happen...

Do you mean the scalp treatment you're supposed to use morning and night? Yeah' date=' I bet that would get expensive!!! I haven't tried any of it yet. I'm trying to wait to see if my hair actually starts to fall out before I actually do anything. I'm holding out hope! Prior to this surgery, I was the kind of patient that pretty much never experienced side effects, had an Iron stomach, didn't have negative reactions to pain meds... so I'm hoping that pattern returns to me now that I've had my little glitch. Either way, I doubt that I will have enough patience to do anything that requires 2 treatments a day. I'm lucky to spend the time to dry my hair in the morning and brush my teeth before I fall into bed at night. Doing some kind of evening hair treatment every night??? Never gonna happen...[/quote']

On heck me neither! I didn't even bother to buy it. It was the most expensive piece of the treatment and I knew I'd never keep up with it. No I was referring to the Shampoo. Very runny, unlike their other creamy shampoos.

I've been taking evening primrose oil for years for Hair loss due to thyroid. I'm hoping continuing that and eating Protein will help my hairloss. But I, like you, am waiting to see if/when I start to lose it. The hair anyway. :)

I am losing a handful of hair everyday and more than I can even think about when I wash it. I started with enough hair for two or three people and hope I wind up with at least enough for me. The thing that I haven't seen anyone else talk about on this thread is my scalp HURTS! If I put my hair up at all (pin bangs or pony tail) I have to put my hand to my scalp when I take it down because it hurts so bad. I looked it up and supposedly it is a side effect of excessive Hair loss.< /p>

That sounds miserable! I'm at a complete loss for advice. (If you knew me, you'd know how alien that is for me. I'm very, very good at telling people what they should do ;) ) But seriously, what might you do to alleviate the discomfort? Does it still hurt if you don't put your hair up? Is it bad enough that you might take Tylenol or something for it occasionally?

Wish I had something more useful to you than empathy... (Where the heck is the "hug" emoticon???)