Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Hair" Today, Gone Tomorrow...

Yes I do...I was on a IV for 5 months and did not eat any food....No one showed me a mirror so I had no idea it was that bad...I had 10 surgeries and was very sick...My hair was very long before and thick but fine....I loved my hair....anyway.....I also lost it due to knotting up..They decided to cut the knots out instead of combing them out....Everyone was warned not to tell me how bad it was.....It wasn't until I got home that I looked in the mirror and saw it for the first time....My hairdresser came over to my house and cut the strands off.....When I woke up from a 19 day coma..my back of my hair was matted into a giant ball which they could not get out...So they cut it out and so it began...It won't happen like this for you.....My situation turned out different from anyone's on here that I have read.....

Wow RJ I'm so sorry you were so sick! It makes simple Hair loss a trivial problem! I pray everything gets better for you from now on.

RJ - I am so sorry for all you have been through...how are you doing now with everything? I hope you are feeling better and getting stronger each and every day. I am nearing the 6 month mark now...and my hair knots up after sleep or washing...I have been able to brush it out so far. Good luck to all of us with all of our issues.

I'd say I honestly lost about 2/3 of my hair since surgery. I hate to say it but I think it is inevitable. I thought "oh, I'm only 22 and I only have 100 pounds to lose, if I take my Vitamins that won't happen to ME". WRONG. Apparently age/weight don't have that much to do with Hair loss at all. Starting at about 3 months post op I started losing clumps at a time every time I'd shower or brush my hair. Finally now at about 9 months post op it has slowed down and hair is starting to grow back, but I had to get hair extensions to feel like a woman again. Losing weight was the best thing I could have done for myself, but loosing my boobs AND my hair all at once was hard for me. I took my vitamins, including Biotin, and got plenty Protein daily. I hope others have better luck with this topic than I!!

I'm 16 months post sleeve and my hair falls out in stages. The first few months I thought I was going bald.. Lol. Then it stopped.... But only for a few months. Then it started falling out again, then stopped.... I'm not sure if that's normal or if its just me. Lol.

I'm 10 months out- and I have done the same thing. I will lose hair and then stop and then lose and stop.

I've been shedding for about a month. Some days heavier than others.

I really want to color my hair, time to trade my Summer color for an Autumn color but I'm nervous about how coloring it will effect my shedding.

I've been shedding for about a month. Some days heavier than others.

I really want to color my hair' date=' time to trade my Summer color for an Autumn color but I'm nervous about how coloring it will effect my shedding.[/quote']

I'm rocking a poor mans ombré right now because I have been too chicken to color!

I cut my hair short yesterday to hang on to the hair I have left surgery was march 13 this year and was falling out at 12 weeks. :blink:

RJ - I am so sorry for all you have been through...how are you doing now with everything? I hope you are feeling better and getting stronger each and every day. I am nearing the 6 month mark now...and my hair knots up after sleep or washing...I have been able to brush it out so far. Good luck to all of us with all of our issues.

I am 10 months out from my first surgery and still have medical treatment from a nurse daily....But I can not longer see through my hair and I am getting stronger and stronger.

This surgery gave me my life back..It did not happen like most of you...slow start....but it is happening...ye haw!

RJ - I have question about what you posted above...do you mean ALL of your hair was gone? Do you mean you were literally bald? The hair thing started for me recently (over 5 months now)...and I am petrified. I have hair to my waist, really thick...it is all I have really as far as my looks. I am taking Biotin, Prenatal Vitamins, all the ones required by my doctor, and I started using Biotin/Collagen Shampoo & conditioner. I only wash once a week. I am styling and using styling products/tools as little as possible. I knew that there would be hair loss, but I had never read a post that someone went totally and actually bald til now. I am freaking out now.... good luck to all of us with our weight loss, our hair, our skin, and all else!!

Yes I lost all my hair..It was long and blond when I went in for the surgery and it came out as 2 thin strands at the top of my head.....I was shocked and cried uncontrollably. My hair dresser came and cut the 2 strands off and I waited for it to grow...I never went anywhere until I had my third cut.... When you go through what I went through you lose many things..I almost lost my life.....

One thing I can say is that the new hair has come in curly...when it used to be straight and I have less gray now....Don't know why but it is a pleasant surprise I think!

I'm taking the leap and coloring my hair!

Hopefully no more shedding.

I'm taking the leap and coloring my hair!

Hopefully no more shedding.

Let me know how it goes!!!

Heavier shedding than usual but not the heaviest it's been. Overall I'm calling it a success.

Hardly any shedding this morning. The color is not as "vibrant" as I'd hoped. Idk if its a bad batch or my hair is not receptive to the change....

Mine is starting to come out; I guess I don't mind. I just ordered a wig. I'll use it as an excuse to wear cute wigs. :)