Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before you post you've "only lost X pounds"

Thank you for posting this! I totally agree!!

Please stop and do the math.

People get completely freaked out by what I feel are unreasonable expectations. They fly into a panic. They assume that the first time they don't lose on the scale that their loss is done. They think that two weeks at one weight is a massive stall. They look at other people's large losses and forget that we don't all lose at the same rate.

First - if you did a pre-op diet you are not going to have the same loss your first month as someone who didn't do one. Your pre-op loss should get counted into your loss calculation if you did a pre-op diet.

Second - a stall is three weeks or more at the same weight with no fluctuation. Are you panicked after that? Well, my friend coops once spent twenty one MONTHS at the same weight. She finally broke through and never regained during that time, and even lost two sizes while not budging on the scale. Is it the miracle cure you may have been hoping for on the scale? No. But stalls are not the end of the world. They are certainly more normal that flying to goal in six weeks, I promise you.

Third - losing anything more than a pound a week is good. Are you eating less than ever before? Yes. Does that guarantee you'll lose faster than ever before? No. I had two nine week stalls - no movement except upwards for my monthly cycle. I had months where I lost but only in the tenths of a pound. It's not normal to expect a big loss every time you step on the scale. It's setting yourself up for disappointment.

Fourth - your pattern is your pattern. You can compare yourself to other people sleeved the same day or with the same stats but it doesn't matter. So much of this is individual. So if you're constantly seeking out other people and comparing your losses to theirs, you are eventually going to discourage and frustrate yourself.

Fifth - are you closing in on goal? We all lose even more slowly the less weight we have to lose. So if you only have sixty pounds to lose but shed thirty in your first three months, please don't be hysterical because you're "only" losing a pound a week now that you're past the halfway point. It's normal.

Stop. Breathe. Do the math. Adjust your expectations. This is not a race. You do not get a special award for reaching goal more quickly. Your surgery was not pointless or worthless if you manage to get to goal in two years instead of six months. The real goal is not losing the weight. It's keeping the weight off. That's real success - that's what we're here to do. It does not matter if you hit goal in nine months or two years - the real challenge and the real journey begins with maintenance. How quickly or slowly you lost does nothing to change the challenges you'll encounter there.

I am not ranting at anyone in particular. I just feel that this is an issue that comes up constantly and it's actually pretty silly for people to fly into such a panic without really thinking. I've seen folks upset when they're logging losses of upwards of four pounds a week. Point to the diet that helped you accomplish that and was easy to maintain prior to surgery.

~Cheri

Excellent points! So grateful for my sleeve and this community!

It is not just the loss of weight that is the goal...But how you feel...Do you feel better with some weight off? Are you able to do more things? Are you sleeping better and happier with your life in general?

These are amazing goals and worth it all in my books.....No other diet or program has ever given me this much energy or spunk.....If it takes me 2 years..FINE..that is the way it is..Took me almost 3 decades to get as big as I was..Through every diet I could think of....

Now for the first time I know I am succeeding. I look at things differently now.....There is no panic....I use my tool and my body will respond!

Exceptional points, Ma Cheri! Print and post on our scales!!!

As always Cheri good advice. You write so clearly and eloquently, it is a real breath of fresh air.

Couldnt agree more. Luckily I never let my slower losses bother me. I make it a point to take measurements every month and I get more satisfaction with losing inches than I do the scale moving. I know Im losing, if I wasnt then my clothes wouldnt be falling off me. Im super happy to lose a pound a week, sometimes it takes 2 weeks but as long as I keep fighting the good fight, itll all be fine.

awww....geez....and I was just going to post that I've only lost 75 pounds in the last 5 months.

Oh wait...that's 75 divided by 5 = 15 pounds per month...hmmm...that's like 1/2 a pound per day...hmmmm

You're right...doing the math does help.

Great post Cheri!!! I couldn't agree with you more.

So true! I bought a Bodymedia fit. It has actual sensors on it to calculate calories burned throughout the day. What I've learned is that I burn a lot slower than average. During a 20 minute circuit training workout, I burn 250 calories. If I used MFP or another online calculator, it would say I should have burned 350-400 calories! Our bodies are all different. I've lost 0 pounds in the last month but lost 2 inches in my waist! I'll take it!

I thought I was done loosing weight since I reached 167 and that's ok since my goal was 170 but I do want to reach 160. Anyway I thought I had hadn't lost for a long time but this morning I looked back and I've lost 16 pounds in under 2 months! So I haven't stalled at all!

I posted something similar to this when I was preop.

I think that so many expect the weight to just melt off at a rate of 20lbs a month for 6+ months. I don't know of anyone who had those kinds of numbers on here. I lost about 60lbs in my first three months. 10lbs month 4 and 5lbs this month. I'm slowing way down as I get closer to goal. With only 25 or so left to goal, I know it's not going to be easy.

But I'll take my 5lbs lost this month. Because that's 5lbs less. I would take 1lb a month loss because that would mean I'm not gaining.

Early out in the first month or two when hormones are all out of whack, I think it is easy to go into a tailspin of panic that you will be the one person this doesn't work for. But if you are following the plan, then you will lose. Might not be at the pace you want, but a loss is a loss. Every ounce lost should be celebrated because that is one ounce closer to goal and one ounce less you are carrying around.

It is hard in the beginning. But don't focus on how far you have to go. Stop and look at how far you have come!!! Look back at trying your shoes preop compared to now. Think about the waist line from your pants digging in to needing a belt. Post your NSV and enjoy every aspect of this journey. Don't be a slave to the scale. We can't get fixated on seeing our magic number pop up when we step on the scale. We need to focus on the journey so we can learn healthy lifestyles. That way the destination won't be so scary.

People get completely freaked out by what I feel are unreasonable expectations. They fly into a panic. They assume that the first time they don't lose on the scale that their loss is done. They think that two weeks at one weight is a massive stall. They look at other people's large losses and forget that we don't all lose at the same rate.

First - if you did a pre-op diet you are not going to have the same loss your first month as someone who didn't do one. Your pre-op loss should get counted into your loss calculation if you did a pre-op diet.

Second - a stall is three weeks or more at the same weight with no fluctuation. Are you panicked after that? Well, my friend coops once spent twenty one MONTHS at the same weight. She finally broke through and never regained during that time, and even lost two sizes while not budging on the scale. Is it the miracle cure you may have been hoping for on the scale? No. But stalls are not the end of the world. They are certainly more normal that flying to goal in six weeks, I promise you.

Third - losing anything more than a pound a week is good. Are you eating less than ever before? Yes. Does that guarantee you'll lose faster than ever before? No. I had two nine week stalls - no movement except upwards for my monthly cycle. I had months where I lost but only in the tenths of a pound. It's not normal to expect a big loss every time you step on the scale. It's setting yourself up for disappointment.

Fourth - your pattern is your pattern. You can compare yourself to other people sleeved the same day or with the same stats but it doesn't matter. So much of this is individual. So if you're constantly seeking out other people and comparing your losses to theirs, you are eventually going to discourage and frustrate yourself.

Fifth - are you closing in on goal? We all lose even more slowly the less weight we have to lose. So if you only have sixty pounds to lose but shed thirty in your first three months, please don't be hysterical because you're "only" losing a pound a week now that you're past the halfway point. It's normal.

Stop. Breathe. Do the math. Adjust your expectations. This is not a race. You do not get a special award for reaching goal more quickly. Your surgery was not pointless or worthless if you manage to get to goal in two years instead of six months. The real goal is not losing the weight. It's keeping the weight off. That's real success - that's what we're here to do. It does not matter if you hit goal in nine months or two years - the real challenge and the real journey begins with maintenance. How quickly or slowly you lost does nothing to change the challenges you'll encounter there.

I am not ranting at anyone in particular. I just feel that this is an issue that comes up constantly and it's actually pretty silly for people to fly into such a panic without really thinking. I've seen folks upset when they're logging losses of upwards of four pounds a week. Point to the diet that helped you accomplish that and was easy to maintain prior to surgery.

~Cheri

Very well said. This is so true. I like the fact that your post did not seem to sarcastically mock individuals that feel this way & post about it. Your post was also encouraging. This is what we are all here for, to help, encourage, inform, uplift each other & even sometimes to help snap ea other back into a healthy reality...lol. I like this post & I'm glad that you posted it.

Second - a stall is three weeks or more at the same weight with no fluctuation. Are you panicked after that? Well' date=' my friend coops once spent twenty one MONTHS at the same weight. She finally broke through and never regained during that time, and even lost two sizes while not budging on the scale. Is it the miracle cure you may have been hoping for on the scale? No. But stalls are not the end of the world. They are certainly more normal that flying to goal in six weeks, I promise you.

~Cheri[/quote']

Well said. Ditto!

Great post.