Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im sooo disappointed and mad I could SCREAM!

I have been jumping through hoops for 8 months now. Doing everything I was told to do by my surgeon. He wanted me to lose weight and track everything that went into my mouth for three months as well as log any and every exercise I did. He told me that when I completed the three months come back to see him (which is a 5 hour drive and two hour ferry ride) and if I stuck to my end of his requests that he would give me a surgery date within one month of this visit..

So. I have been working my butt of going above and beyond his request and traveling 7 hours, only to find out that the bariatric program in BC (Canada) has changed. I no longer can have a date so soon as I am now on the BOTTOM of a long a** wait list.

It turns out that there are some surgeons who have a 3+ year wait list and to speed those up they are distributing patients to other surgeons who don't. I am really happy for those people to get in so soon, but sad and frustrated for myself.

I have been waiting for my appointment for so long so I could plan around my surgery and get my life organized, only to now have to drop everything and scramble should I get called. And who knows how long that will be. He couldn't even give me an estimate time wise.

On a side note. He did say that the new program is flawed. There are many patients who aren't putting in ANY effort to show they are ready to change their lifestyle for surgery, and thinks these people should have to stick to a program like he told me to. He said that I worked really hard and shouldn't be put to the bottom and he is going to see if there is a way to give me a date ASAP. I'm really hoping he can, but in the end he has rules to fallow as well...

Thank you for letting me get my frustrations out. I plan on logging my food and exercise still and I'm gonna stick to the program in hopes I'll get a call. I'm just so upset. It costs a lot of money and time to go back and forth for these appts and I feel ripped off.

Sheena :-(

That sucks :( but I hope it all works out in your favor!! Keep your head up and just keep thinking positive thoughts!! Good Luck!

Mexico was my solution.....my insurance won't cover any weight loss surgery even with co-morbities, which I don't have. So I just am sucking it up and going to MX. Aug, 21 baby!!! You can sched real quick and be home living your life in one tenth the time.... Cheers and luck

Im from Bc Canada and i was told the wait list in Victoria Bc is 5 years and the sleeve isnt an option..its bypass only...i got fed up and went the mexico route...im having surgery in TJ Mexico on september 11th..trust me..its cheaper then private hospital and clinic and its faster then waiting a couple of years...my reasoning: if i have to wait for five years i will be dead or in need of a liver transplant

Go to Mexico. My coordinator said that 99% of their patients are Americans and Canadians!!

Sorry to hear about all the problems!! I hope your doctor can pull the strings needed to push you up on the schedule. I was a self pay and had literally no troubles and sometimes I think it was worth the cost not to have to go through the hoops. Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

I have to suggest Mexico as well - I got to pick my date - July 30th, Tues.

Well at least you got on the list and maybe others will drop off the list or won't be ready when its their turn. Hang in there and don't lose hope!

My sister and I had a great experience in Mexico -so worth it!! Research it, plan I, do it!!

Hopefully things work out with your doctor. If not, I'll echo the others and suggest Mexico. I had my surgery there on March 18th after being denied by my insurance. Best decision I ever made.

Thank you everyone for the replies. If this process doesn't work then Mexico will be my next step. Either way it will take time to save up the money, but it's an option for sure!

Sheena :-)

I agree...go to mexico! I was referred by my doctor to get it done in manitoba (that's where I am from) and almost 2 years later still waiting to get approved! It is REDICULOUS what we have to go through to get this surgery covered by insurance! So my thinking is, pay the money to go to mexico and get it done in weeks and think of the money you will be saving on food, prescriptions, and clothes when you are sleeved! Not to mention the years you are putting back on your life by not waiting (and getting worse in health if you do wait)

I too am from BC and would never have qualified for the surgery in BC...I was sleeved in Mexico on July 16 and am well on my way to a healthier, happier life....not to mention down 24 pounds! I went thru a company called A Lighter Me and could not have had a better experience! Good luck on your journey!

I too am from BC and would never have qualified for the surgery in BC...I was sleeved in Mexico on July 16 and am well on my way to a healthier' date=' happier life....not to mention down 24 pounds! I went thru a company called A Lighter Me and could not have had a better experience! Good luck on your journey![/quote']

Thats the company im going through on sept 11th..yippee!!