Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does after care work in Mexico?

So what if you had surgery in Mexico and there is a problem, what did you do and was it covered by them? Just wondering because I haven't read of to many having problems and was just wondering what happens if you do? Also can you fly after surgery, did it bother anyone?

I was talking to a girl here last week, she went a couple of months ago. And one of the girls they went with had a problem and the doctors sent her to a hospital in San Diego that was better able to help her.

Considering Mexico but I'm just so scared that something bad will happen or I won't pick the right doctor! If anyone has had an awesome experience then please let me know with what doctor.

I had an amazing experience with dr. Ponce de leon. My good friend just has surgery there last Thursday and she had wonderful experience too.

I have not had any problems with after care. That's the beauty of this you don't need any. I needed a metabolic panel done so I went to my PCP and asked for it. NO problem and everything was perfect. I would bring my children to this doctor before any surgeon in the states I have that much confidence in him. He is a general surgeon. He is not the most expensive or the least. You get super personal care. You are in an actual hospital 2 nights and a 5 star luxury hotel for the night before you leave. There's no waiting at the boarder.

I had no issues flying. I was out shopping in Mexico 2 days later in fact. I packed light. I got a hot tea at starbucks and a good book and it was an easy fly home.

I cannot say enough good things about this doctor and his nurses and his coordinator Trish.

If you talk to her tell her Sarah Sent you

Patient coordinator.

Phone:619 207-4114

Cell: (661)886-4617

www.wls4betterlife.com

Considering Mexico but I'm just so scared that something bad will happen or I won't pick the right doctor! If anyone has had an awesome experience then please let me know with what doctor.

Trust me, you will get lots of people here that will help you pick a doctor....

Generally, it is assumed if you have some type of problem/complication it is something you will need to take care of fairly quickly, as opposed to waiting until you can book a flight and fly to Mexico. That is why most of the surgeons release you with a full copy of your labs, EKG, chest x-rays, swallow test video, etc., so you have them in the rare event that a complication arises.

Susan- do you work for a doctor in Mexico? I have come across your name on here I think?

I think you might be better served by determining a list of doctors, then narrowing down that list based on your needs and wants.

For instance, when I first decided Mexico was the route for me, I made a spreadsheet of all the doctors. Then I made columns for other information, like did they operate in a hospital vs some sort of outpatient facility, cost, whether they used a coordinating company or an in-house coordinator, etc. This helped me narrow down to 3 or 4 doctors that I contacted personally and then was able to further narrow down from there.

The reason I say this is because those of us who are post-op almost inevitably think our doctors are great. I know for myself (and I'd venture to guess for most) this is based on our experiences both pre- and post-op...but what makes a good experience for me might not equate to a good experience for you. I had varying priorities in a doctor which may or may not be the same as your priorities. Also, my surgeon was a part of a life changing event for ME. By nature (and barring any serious complications) I would imagine that most people have positive opinions about a care provider who helped manage a life changing event.

Once you've got a list of doctors, and are working on narrowing down those that meet your needs, you can do a search on this forum for specific doctors or ask about experiences with specific doctors. People are usually happy to provide feedback on their own doctors; it's a little tougher to give doctor recommendations without knowing any of the basic information about what might meet your needs.

~Kat

I am purchasing complication insurance since my health insurance totally excludes WLS and will exclude any complications caused by it.

I am purchasing complication insurance since my health insurance totally excludes WLS and will exclude any complications caused by it.

Where & from whom do you purchase complication insurance? How expensive is it?

Are you talking about the Global insurance? I am not sure how I feel about that company. How much are you taking out? I am still considering it, but have some doubts.

Note this part of the policy:

Home country coverage may vary according to the country's specific insurance regulations

I cannot get them to commit to saying that treatment in the U.S. is covered due to this exclusion (saying to just take his word for it, but they will not put it in writing).

Called them again and they are incredibly RUDE in how they refuse to address this. The sales agent told me he is annoyed with my many questions and refuses to answer any further questions.

Stephanie, I have been looking but cannot find that (Home country coverage...). Where is it located? The man I spoke with on the phone was extremely polite. Once I have the location of that sentence, I will give them a call back and speak with the same man I spoke with the other day.

Stephanie, I have been looking but cannot find that (Home country coverage...). Where is it located? The man I spoke with on the phone was extremely polite. Once I have the location of that sentence, I will give them a call back and speak with the same man I spoke with the other day.

Again, is this with Global Protective Insurance? If so, how much did yo take out? I PMed you as well...

Yes, that is the only company I could find.