Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deeper squats

I do not know about you, but I am constantly working on my squat form. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. There are so many little details to consider to execute the perfect deep squat, many of which I am working on.

Here is a super resource that I found this morning:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/squat_like_you_mean_it_tips_for_a_deeper_squat

I am going to spend some time reading the free articles. I find them very good.

Omg I couldn't agree more about the 100 little things to keep on mind when squatting!!!

Cheeks tight, shins vertical, core tight, weight on heels, ass out first..

However, I love the effect on my thighs and butt!!!

Besides Deadlifts, squats are my favorite!

Thanks for posting this, we all need reminders on form from time to time. I had a pretty shitty squat session last week and after reviewing the video, my form was all kinds of jacked up. It's amazing how much form comes in to play, it can make a weight seem so much easier when your mind is connected to your body and everything is working the way it needs to, plus it's imperative to remain injury free (even though injuries happen regardless).

Another exercise I have found recently that helps with being limber for squats is called the dynamic squat. While holding two hand weights (say 10-20 lb), start with feet hip width apart. Staying light on your feet, jump legs apart into slightly less than a sumo squat width and squat with hands between feet to touch the ground. As you touch the ground, jump up back into starting position. That is one rep. Do 6 sets of 20 second AMRAP ( as many reps as possible). Remember to stay light on your feet and really put your butt back on the squat with back straight and chest out. This one is fun!!

My trainer gave me a great exercise for helping with deep squats yesterday. It is called the goblet sit. Interesting name, right? Essentially, you take a 15-25 lb weight (kettleball works best) and grasp it between your hands in front of your chest, with your arms folded so the weight is close to your chest. You then get into the squat position as deep as you can go and hold it for 1 minute. Repeat as many times as you want to. For example, I did a workout yesterday that included 1 minute wall sit, 1 minute plank hold and 1 minute goblet sit over 30 minutes without rest. This was after doing a heavy weight workout with real squats for 10 minutes. yikes. After the 8th iteration of the 30 minute workout, the burn in my quads was so intense. It really did feel like a hot burn. The plank exercise was actually a rest for my poor quads during this 30 minutes. See if the goblet sit can help you with those deeper squats. I have confidence it is going to help me. By the way, all 3 of these exercises can be done in the comfort of your own home.

On the recommendation of one of my coaches (who is also getting certified in this), I bought the book Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett. OMG!!! It's about functional mobility and how to get your body to truly progress and move the way we crossfitter a needs to. I just ordered some compression bands from WODshop.com too.

This coach also already had me specifically stretching out afterwards with many of the stretches listed in the book. Now I am going to start going early to my box and start adding some stuff for my warm up.

Good luck!!

Wow- 403 average 5 star rating for supple leopard on Amazon. That is a killer high rating for a fitness book. I am going to look into this book to see if it compliments or replaces a recent mobility book I just bought called "the genius of flexibility." If you have not seen this book, check it out. It too is very good and forward thinking in the area of resistance flexibility. Thanks again Tally for the book recommendation.

Edit - ok, I read through some of the less than stellar reviews, but they are shadowed by the large number of glowing reviews. Still very interested in hearing what dr. Kelley has to say on mobility and have bookmarked mobilitywod for future reference and will read his book. I think my trainer actually mentioned mobilitywod is where she gets her information on mobility, so that really adds credit to using dr. Kelley as a resource for improving mobility and flexibility in my eyes.