Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just joined Crossfit today

Yup- it was only an issue yesterday. Crossing my fingers it does not happen tomorrow. The on ramp sounds awesome, like a real commitment. Way to challenge yourself! Keep reporting back how things progress. It might be similar to what I when joining cross fit except it was called "go big" and consisted of 18 training sessions. I am now on my second set of these training sessions and love it. So much I am thinking about 3 a week. Once these run out, I will do 5 days a week open gym and start serious preparation for regionals summer 2014. It is tough to even qualify.

So I am not sure I chose the right thing..when I got to the box, the guy suggested I start with the Cross Fit Lite class which is not the full Cross Fit and a bit more cardio focused. So I said sure let's try. Now mind you I worked out with my trainer this morning and got to 65 pound deadlifts (yes I am puffing out my chest typing that :P)..but this Cross Fit Lite class KICKED MY ASS..here is the workout:

800 meter run

40 walking lunges

30 single unders (somehow this meant 120 jump ropes)

20 sit ups

10 burpees

600 meter run

Not to mention we did a 400 meter run to "warm up" and then a 2 minute skill drill of pushups.

I think I am out of my league lol

P.S. I am going back on Tuesday

Margaret - that sounds like a really good WOD. I am so happy you did it. Get ready for one wild ride as the weeks roll on by and your strength grows really quickly. Cross fit is really exhilarating because each session is a new set of experiences and all out. It is going to take every thing you have. Go hard or go home! And then recover on your back on the Matt. :)

Here is what I did today (more cardio than weight today):

1600 m run warmup

Flexibility stretches

Push-ups, air squats, ght sit-ups and hip extensions, pull-ups

5 rounds of 1 minute AMRAP

1. Clean lifts @ 185

2. Pull-ups ( unassisted)

3. Burpee box jumps

At the end, my trainer said now 5 more of burpee box jumps. I fatigued in my legs on 3 and fell on the box jump. Every one falls in cross fit, but this was my first time. Got my sorry ass off my knees and did the last two. Heart was racing before moving onto :

5 L sits @ 1 minute each

If you think planks are hard, L sits are 1000 x worse without a really solid core. Essentially you are sitting between two bars, sitting in a L with your body a few inches off the ground and your arms locked to hold your body weight. Hard!!! My core needs a lot of work, will keep on working at that every week ( outside of 2 cross fit sessions i do 2 dedicated core workouts plus 3 body weight workouts during the week) This is a new exercise for me and I was unable to hold me legs out in front. However, I could sit in sort of a ball with my knees bent. It must be a balancing issue that the weight of feet and legs increases intensity x 1000. I am going to work at this.

In the next month, I am going to add another day of cross fit to make 3 with the trainer. In the fall I will be ramping up to 5-6 days a week in order to send the next year really training for regionals and then the Games!! One thing she really emphasized is I have to drop my focus of maintaining a weight (i am 178 ) and be prepared to put on weight for the functional strength that is required to compete at the cross fit games. That is my goal.

1600m run for WARMUP?? Holy smokes! That'd warm me up for sure then I'd be done :) We did a 400m run for warn up earlier this week and I was wiped out. Just don't have my cardio built up yet.

I've gotten pretty decent with running over the last 1/2 year so my body is effective at it. The real warmup for me is complete after the push-ups, pull-ups, etc combined with the run. Cross fit does have some running, but that is not what it is known for. The best way to get better at running is to do a program like c25k or throw in some running every week that is unstructured, but challenges your distance and speed each time you go out.

Keep at it. Work. Stay consistent. That will bring real change.

Good luck!

I am definitely feeling it today..thank god Friday's are my rest day!

Well, lucky you! :) Today is not my rest day and I feel like I need one after the workout yesterday. :) I have been spending a few minutes here and there all morning trying to get the tightness out of my back and legs by doing isometric stretches.

Update: had a really good @ home workout today- see 12 week transformation thread in vets forum.

I have read where it's good to take a week off every so often. So this is my week off. I took it cuz I flew up to Cincinnati to take care of my grandmother. She had her knee replaced and ended up back in the hospital. So that is the priority this week. I miss it like crazy but it's for a good cause. I have to content myself with wearing my Crossfit tshirts. Lol.

Good on you guys!! So proud to see a few of us working this hard. The level of commitment to ourselves is fantastic!!

Woohoo! No matter how "bad" our day in the box is...we are more than lapping everyone else on the couch.

Hugs to you all!!

I have read where it's good to take a week off every so often. So this is my week off. I took it cuz I flew up to Cincinnati to take care of my grandmother. She had her knee replaced and ended up back in the hospital. So that is the priority this week. I miss it like crazy but it's for a good cause. I have to content myself with wearing my Crossfit tshirts. Lol.

Good on you guys!! So proud to see a few of us working this hard. The level of commitment to ourselves is fantastic!!

Woohoo! No matter how "bad" our day in the box is...we are more than lapping everyone else on the couch.

Hugs to you all!!

You are in my state! I am in Cleveland. I hope your grandmother comes through okay!

Thank you!!! Hoping for a discharge order today. I ran into some crossfitters a at Starbucks today. They had central east regionals tshirt a on. I had my Crossfit NSB shirt on. We smiled and said hey to eachother. It is a inner circle kind of thing. Lol.

I always forget how much I love Ohio until I visit. Dad and I might hit kings island one day if Nanny does well.

I'm so happy to read everything above! I have my first appointment with my surgeon coming up this Friday, but just spent the weekend with friends who didn't have any real issues with weight but have been very successful with getting in shape with cross fit. My friend urged me to check it out & today I discovered that one location literally just opened, right down the street... Sounds like synergy to me! I just emailed them about setting up a free session just to chek it out. My issue is that I have the aches & pains, knee/anklet/hip issues that come along with needing to lose 130 pounds... Would you all suggest starting now or should I wait until I've had the surgery & lost some weight? Also, I'm guessing that anything resembling the paleo diet is off the table after surgery...

I'm so happy to read everything above! I have my first appointment with my surgeon coming up this Friday' date=' but just spent the weekend with friends who didn't have any real issues with weight but have been very successful with getting in shape with cross fit. My friend urged me to check it out & today I discovered that one location literally just opened, right down the street... Sounds like synergy to me! I just emailed them about setting up a free session just to chek it out. My issue is that I have the aches & pains, knee/anklet/hip issues that come along with needing to lose 130 pounds... Would you all suggest starting now or should I wait until I've had the surgery & lost some weight? Also, I'm guessing that anything resembling the paleo diet is off the table after surgery...[/quote']

Good to hear you are wanting to be a cross fitter. The beauty of cross fit is that it can be adapted to anyone, no matter the physical ability. So my answer to you would initially be no, you do not need to wait as long as you adapt your workouts to what your body is capable of today. That being said, you will probably enjoy it a lot more with less aches and pains after losing some weight. Ideally, cross fit physical and nutritional guidelines are designed for those that can work out hard and eat very well ala paleo style. You cannot really eat Paleo until a number of months out, at a point when you can comfortably eat raw veggies and lean Protein. Furthermore, I doubt someone could get the energy that is required for cross fit from limited calories (600-900) that are typical in the first 6 months post op. Those are just my opinions on it and do not mean they are correct. Let's also hear what others have to say. Not sure it means anything, but I started cross fit after 7 months and losing 180 lbs to be at ideal weight. I also did a Ton of cardio in the form of running 5 k and 10 k runs weekly for the 2-3 months before that. Good luck!

Wow, thanks very much! Maybe when I go there, they may chose to start me out slow. I'm hoping that they won't take the "you don't need the surgery, just exercise" approach.... I wonder how they respond to people who chose to have WLS?

Wow' date=' thanks very much! Maybe when I go there, they may chose to start me out slow. I'm hoping that they won't take the "you don't need the surgery, just exercise" approach.... I wonder how they respond to people who chose to have WLS?[/quote']

Should not be a concern for them. If they give you grief after telling them, just take your business elsewhere. Most boxes are not that insensitive and like to help anyone achieve their fitness goals.

I think pre op you will be fine. They will help you modify the exercises to your ability. Post op I would say you will need to take in the majority of your calories right before and right after you work out. Pre and post shakes will probably be your best option but you'll need food to carry you through also.