Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi ladies! Once again apologies for posting so rarely, I think I too have little to say on a daily basis but I am much better at reading :)

My weight is up a bit as well - enough that I have been scared to step on the scale - so I haven't, which is usually a huge red flag - meaning everything just goes out the window and eating becomes a free for all once again. The last year was very, very stressful  and I got in a lot of healthy exercise all through last summer - then started a job from hell in the fall which lasted until spring - when I decided to start a new business venture of my own. Then, we decided to move in May - which all came about suddenly (mainly to be closer to our youngest starting college in the fall) - for those of you who are in the greater Seattle area, we have moved from living on the beach in West Seattle, to the foothills of Mt. Rainier in Puyallup, much more of a commute for hubby (who is at the main Boeing plant downtown) - but a house that is much more spacious, that is less money, and my mom is only 5 minutes away. I am an only child, she is not in the best of health so it feels good to be closer - we have gotten to see her more in the last month than we have in the last decade I think. At the start of June my oldest step daughter came for a 3 week visit and she wanted to learn to paint in oil so I created a little curriculum for her and we had great fun making all sorts of little paintings.

We also just returned from Cancun - we met up with my husbands sister and her husband - so we were 6 and had a fine time - none of us got burned (and that sun down there is no joke!) There was mostly swimming and lounging at the pool with cocktails everyday - which was a silly treat as none of us really are drinkers. There were more carbs than I should have had but it could have been much worse. My sister-in-law was actually the inspiration for my hubby and I to get our WL surgeries - so there were 3 of us who had bariatric surgery on the trip - two sleeves and a RNY - she is a few years ahead of us and has gained a bit back but is hanging in there.

We had a little BBQ for the 4th, and there is still some pie hanging around but we are committed to a dietary reset after the food is gone. Mom will eat some again today - she is coming over to watch the US world cup match finals.

I have been reading up on a program you guys may have heard about - you guys always seem to be in the know with great resources online. Not sure if you guys are familiar with Whole 30 but I am going to give it a go in an effort to break my sugar addiction - the more I feed it the bigger it seems to get (like some giant, scary dust bunny haha!) - a lot of the foods are similar to other anti-inflammatory diet protocols such as Abascal - which is something a girlfriend did and she lost a significant amount of weight and seemed to feel much better. I can make some truly crappy choices with food and hubby and I will end up right back where we started if we don't get serious and regulate.

http://whole30.com/

I like the idea of committing to a summer of healthy choices that will last all year round - September is when things usually start falling apart - all of our birthdays, holidays, etc.

Here are a couple of snaps from the trip :) I never have found an easy way to add pics to a post.

2015 07 01 20.20.56

11117219 10207009887263558 5401548871806372750 O

So good to hear from you Chimera, i know how tough it has been for you, oh do I know!! I sympathise AND empathise.

So, an increase in carbs, over 30g, even "good" carbs like the dates, results in gaining weight. that is just.... sick.

Yesterday was my 5 year anniversary of my sleeve...each year I think about writing a progress report but I never do cos I am not at goal... I don't feel like a failure now, as I once did. I don't know what is stopping me to be honest. 

I am starting to think that after 2 years of being at this weight I have pretty much finished my weight loss journey.  But then that stubborn side of me says, NO! Keep on keeping on...

Anyway,the last 5 years, really have been incredible - cliched to the max but I've lost the weight and found myself!

Such a big congrats to you Coops! You are such a trooper, so inspirational girl.

Here are a couple of snaps from the trip :) I never have found an easy way to add pics to a post.

You guys look great! Love your gray hair and cut... very cute! I have been growing out my gray, and using a blue tint at this point. Little old lady with a blue rinse! Thats me!

Good to see you Chimera... and yes, as Kim said... fab holiday pics!

Thanks for all the positive comments - so, should I post summat in the main sleeve area?  xx

I really have to watch the carbs as well - I kick myself to think of how well I was doing with curbing the sugar monster and re-calibrating my blood chemistry and metabolism in that golden happy rainbow year and a half after surgery. Ah well, no worries, just get back up on that horse and keep trying to make healthy choices.

When I think back on the last year - I was really, really unhappy over ethical stuff with my job (the administration that came in and forced so many professors to retire - it was just cruel and horrible) and the next crappy gig that it is no wonder I have struggled, as food has always been my solace - my place to drown basically. I don't think I will ever cure it like I managed to do with quitting smoking after 3 decades - I think I am better at abstaining than being moderate with food - better to just not have any than have even a bit of something that  doesn't fit within our post op rules.

Hang in there Florinda - I know exactly how you feel, the carbs in spinach and broccoli can stop my WL in its tracks :)

I think it is good for people to see what success looks like 5 years out...it ain't perfect but it's awesome!

I have been thinking about the issue of food (and other things) as a comfort/fall back. I wonder if my next step is to try to get specific help on that topic. Even though I feel pretty good with it now...it sometimes feels tenuous.

I am not sure how to tackle this. For people who don't talk about their feelings counseling helps alot. My stuff is out there on the table but I still feel the sirens call.

Example, last night I was going to go to a dance lesson. The heat had got me down from working outside so instead of doing the active things I wanted to do I nursed my "feeling bad" with a late snack....

I can remember learning about anorexia and bulemia when I was a teen and learning that in a twisted irony, former anorexics will end up being required to be on strict diets the rest of their lives because they had so thoroughly destroyed their metabolisms that their bodies now put on weight way easier than if they had never been anorexic to start with. I remember thinking, "man, that SUCKS, what a twisted sick irony!" And now, here I am.

I think in a way, we were sold a bill of goods. Not with malice or intention, but a bill of goods nonetheless. We were told that we would lose a significant amount of weight and that we would have this tool that would be an assistant, along with psychological growth and nutritional education, that would be working guardians of our weight and health.

We were not told that what was really happening was a starvation period that would give us short term gains and long term losses (the bad kinds of both), that the weight loss was a flash in the pan that would maybe get us down to a socially acceptable weight but that we would *actually* be required to be on a severe, head-case controlling diet for the rest of our lives, just to stay acceptably average or chubby.

While other "good" dieters and health conscious people are eating in moderation, mostly vegetables, no sugars, etc. and getting rewarded for it, I must measure gram by gram, and cannot even eat a damn DATE without consequences. It is clear to me now that I cannot even do 5:2 and expect to maintain, 5:2 and I GAIN. I understand now. I am required to be on 600 calories a day, 30 grams of carbs or less a day, and greater than 60 grams of Protein per day, if I hope to even lose 3 or 4 pounds a month. Which, by the way, was what I lost when I weighed 240 lbs and ate 1400 cals a day and lifted weights.

Does anyone want to let me know if they want either of the two ladies who want to join out group to be approved?

Lipstick lady and Sleeve4me

Some people responded to this a few pages ago. Seems like most are saying yes to sleeve4me and no to lipstick.

Same vote for me.

I'll say the same vote for me as well.

and me... x

Okay, do you really want sleeve4me in at all? Cause I am thinking we should agree on the old agreement that we don't want anyone new in here.

I got an pm from from lipstick asking why I haven't responded. How did she find out about us anyway? I would really like to know that!

I remember we all agreed not to talk about the group outside of here so that nobody else knew about it. Alex promised the group does not come up on searches with the other groups. I am going to PM him.

I can send a no to lipstick but I'd rather tell both of them we decided a long time ago to close the group  and not add anyone.

Please, everyone, give me your thoughts.

Nothing new with me. I'm looking forward to this weekend with my daughter. We hardly ever do much together anymore. We are going to this big hippy fair where they sell fabulous but very  expensive had made art and  crafts.I have bought paintings there before.  There will also be a lot of people in costume, and some people will even be naked or topless.The topless women have their breasts painted. I will try to post some pictures. It's a lot of fun. The most I do is wear a tank top which I normally won't wear in public because of my fat arm skin. 

I can't remember if I posted that I saw the surgeon and now I'm waiting for approval from my ins. for another surgery in August.

Sarah, Did you want to come to chicago this time while I am there? Would it be possible?

Okay, do you really want sleeve4me in at all? Cause I am thinking we should agree on the old agreement that we don't want anyone new in here.

I got an pm from from lipstick asking why I haven't responded. How did she find out about us anyway? I would really like to know that!

I remember we all agreed not to talk about the group outside of here so that nobody else knew about it. Alex promised the group does not come up on searches with the other groups. I am going to PM him.

I can send a no to lipstick but I'd rather tell both of them we decided a long time ago to close the group and not add anyone.

Please, everyone, give me your thoughts.

Nothing new with me. I'm looking forward to this weekend with my daughter. We hardly ever do much together anymore. We are going to this big hippy fair where they sell fabulous but very expensive had made art and crafts.I have bought paintings there before. There will also be a lot of people in costume, and some people will even be naked or topless.The topless women have their breasts painted. I will try to post some pictures. It's a lot of fun. The most I do is wear a tank top which I normally won't wear in public because of my fat arm skin.

I can't remember if I posted that I saw the surgeon and now I'm waiting for approval from my ins. for another surgery in August.

Sarah, Did you want to come to chicago this time while I am there? Would it be possible?

I'm fine with saying that we decided not to add anyone to the group. Tell them it's not really a 5:2 group anyway. There are very personal things discussed in here and it may be uncomfortable to have new people coming in and reading these things.

Honestly, there are plenty of people on BP that I don't want knowing about my deep dark secrets. I also share pictures of my family that I wouldn't want shared with everyone (even though I realize once something is out on the internet it's there to stay).

I don't think anyone talks about the group but I believe there are people from long ago who remember this 5:2 group being started.

Yes, I will be around while you are in Chicago and we should be able to make something work this time!