Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good to hear that LV is okay - I rarely check out other forums since I have been a part of our little group here so I am always out of the loop with what is going on- same way in life too haha! Been having good workouts this week - my fasting days have been a tiny bit shaky - its really been a challenge to not go over 500 the last few weeks - but is it pretty clear how detrimental the whole holiday feasting thing is. The carb detoxing makes me feel better every day thank goodness. On the work front I guess things remain to be seen - so I am going to do my best and realize that it is just my job - not my life - my health and my family and my own sanity are the most important things right? One good thing is that I have such a big teaching load this spring that I will generate a lot of income over the next few months. Our wedding anniversary is this weekend and we did nave plans for a nice brunch at Salty's (a lovely spot on the Water here in Seattle) but have cancelled it because we have managed to score tickets to the Seahawks/49'ers NFC championship game! woohoo :) As far as adding folks - I know Queen has been a round a long time, I have read her blog and she seems like she would be a great addition. With that said I think as far as newcomers, this group is really beyond just 5:2. As there is a thread on the main forum I think that is fine for discussing 5:2 issues. Love you guys and I am off to buy cat food and look for some new tennis shoes.

Oh, that game will be fabulous!!!! So jealous!!!

I am holding at 135 and feeling good.

I am nervous. Bill is coming over tonight after dinner. We haven't gotten together since I told him I wondered if he was a good kisser. I really like this guy. I hope there is some chance I'll get out of the friend zone now that he split wiht the person he was seeing.

I am really afraid that our friend ship would be ruined at the same time, if there is a chance we can be more than friends, I have to take it. He's exactly what I want in a man.

Denise I say go for what you want. Remember you are a beautiful wonderful woman that deserves the best. :P

I am nervous. Bill is coming over tonight after dinner. We haven't gotten together since I told him I wondered if he was a good kisser. I really like this guy. I hope there is some chance I'll get out of the friend zone now that he split wiht the person he was seeing.

I am really afraid that our friend ship would be ruined at the same time, if there is a chance we can be more than friends, I have to take it. He's exactly what I want in a man.

Wait, I'm confused...I thought he was the drunk??? Let us know what happens tonight!

Ladies, I posted this in the vets forum but I wanted to post it here in case anyone missed it. This really touched a deep part of my soul today and I wanted to share it with all of my closest "Pal" friends. (I stole that from you, Kim!)

I just experienced the best NSV ever! This just happened...

My 10 year old was playing in the basement, he came upstairs and said, "Mom, I found some pictures of me when I was little and you were in them. You look really different now. Your face used to be so puffy. Mom, you lost a lot of weight, I am really proud of you!". He then came over to me with a smile on his face and gave me a big hug.

My heart melted.

He was only 7 when I had surgery. I asked him if he remembered me when I was big. He said he didn't. I was glad. He also told me I looked really sad in all of the pictures.

We talked for a while about being healthy and about never making fun of fat people. He then asked me how our lives would be different if I wouldn't have been fat. (Where in the world this little guy came up with a question like this is beyond me!) I told him that was a really good question and asked him what he thought. He said,"I think you would have been a lot happier and your face wouldn't have looked so sad in those pictures.".

This was a very touching moment for me, I don't want to ever forget it.

Edited by sarsar

Ladies, I posted this in the vets forum but I wanted to post it here in case anyone missed it. This really touched a deep part of my soul today and I wanted to share it with all of my closest "Pal" friends. (I stole that from you, Kim!)

My 10 year old was playing in the basement, he came upstairs and said, "Mom, I found some pictures of me when I was little and you were in them. You look really different now. Your face used to be so puffy. Mom, you lost a lot of weight, I am really proud of you!". He then came over to me with a smile on his face and gave me a big hug.

My heart melted.

He was only 7 when I had surgery. I asked him if he remembered me when I was big. He said he didn't. I was glad. He also told me I looked really sad in all of the pictures.

We talked for a while about being healthy and about never making fun of fat people. He then asked me how our lives would be different if I wouldn't have been fat. (Where in the world this little guy came up with a question like this is beyond me!) I told him that was a really good question and asked him what he thought. He said,"I think you would have been a lot happier and your face wouldn't have looked so sad in those pictures.".

Sarah, that is so lovely! How sweet, he's a keeper! His mommy must have been a great and loving influence on him even if she was a little sad three years ago. That is the very reason you did the surgery, and it worked! Awesome!

My heart melted.

Sarah, that is so lovely! How sweet, he's a keeper! His mommy must have been a great and loving influence on him even if she was a little sad three years ago. That is the very reason you did the surgery, and it worked! Awesome!

Denise, you deserve the best, I'm glad you feel that spark! Enquiring minds want to know... is he the drinker? (I cant keep my men straight!) That sounds dangerous if he is, but I sure have known some extremely charmning and intelligent men who had drug and/or alcohol problems....

Sarah, that is lovely and you must be so proud of him. Unfortunately there are so few pictures of me with my boys ( they are 20 and 26 now) because I was the one who volunteered to hold the camera. It was easier for me that way as being behind the camera was better than being in front of it. Doesn't leave many pics for them though.

Denise, hope you have a lovely date and that the 'spark' is there for both of you.

Okay so, massive update -

Where do I begin? Long story short...

So, we got our extensions, both of them. I will now be here at this location till the end of Feb and this means that I could conceivably stay in country until 1AUG. If I do that, if I somehow draw the strength and ability from who knows where to do that, then that is an additional 6 months of savings, 6 months downrange hazard pay in the bank. That kind of money could cover living costs while getting my doctorate, provide a cushion in the future should I be unable to work, and I could sure as hell get those hot-damn Frye boots .... ;P

However, stay another 6 months. 6 more months? Will I be able to? What am I trading in by doing that? Is it actually a form of cowardice, to stay?

The start-up is a non-starter, lol. They do not have the money and it is starting to sound like they are a bunch of very early 20s kids who just think everything just *automatically* falls into place. >_> I have expanded my search to Portland, for living, Denise - what are the summers like there? A lot of the places don't have AC, but with my condition I cannShot be in the heat at all. And PS - I'm out of garlic flakes and olive oil lol!!

Sheila - good golly you are a romantic! I feel blessed that Zach is in my life, as my Mom says, "a reason, a season, or a lifetime", and I had need of his season... I am not interested in *that* kind of romantic partnership with him, I am simply accepting and blessed of our friendship here, of the support he gives me in my moment of greatest need. Trying to make things last longer than they should or trying to force things into different shapes is a road to anguish. I am trying to learn acceptance, of so many things.

So team, do I stay, or should I go?

Aaaah Florinda, you are right I AM a hopeless romantic...I can't help it. Even when good friends tell us they are divorcing (seems to be happening now that we are in our 40's instead of our 20's and 30's...hum maybe there IS something to that "midlife crisis"...always kind of thought it was hogwash...lol) I'm like " but did you try everything else first??" Ha ha. Even when they have I'm sad to see people part ways.

The question of 6 months...will you be able to to physically? Can you even answer that question? You won't KNOW how you are going to feel in 1 month, 2 months, etc. I would say if you are feeling relatively "stable" now with what is working then 6 months would be good with the idea of saving some $$$ and giving you more "time" to look for that career, place to live, etc. It also gives you a definite timeline to work with: you can calculate your savings, and start a master plan that includes a place to live, etc. My only question would be what happens if you suddenly don't feel OK and you need to leave? What are the parameters for that situation? What is at stake?

Sarah, OMG I love that NSV. What a cool thing! Something happened recently with my 11 yo and she found a photo while cleaning her room. She was like "you don't even look like the same person" but I waited --holding my breath-- and she didn't mention fat. LOL I can't remember what she said but she noticed a big difference in my face. Interestingly enough someone at the gym just said something about how good I'm looking and (not that you looked bad before...lol always gotta throw that in but this person only knows me from the gym in the last year or so, not the BEFORE surgery me...) but she mentioned how my face has changed in the last few months (just me getting older ha ha!) but anyway, I think my body composition must be changing a bit due to the weight workouts. 3+ months now...woo!

I did NOT fast yesterday. I don't know what happened...worked out for an hour (intense mix of cardio, weights and abs) but did okay until AFTER I picked up the kids from school and then it just went out the window. I didn't eat probably more than 1200 cals but certainly NOT a fast day. Where is my brain??? Anyone seen it lately?

I think I'm going to try and do an all liquid day today to beat the carb monster back into it's cage. Gotta do something...

Fasted ok yesterday, back into the 160's again after almost a month of "party!" This weekend may be off the hook, so hopefully I will be able to hang onto the 60's....Glad I got the fast day in before the lid blows off! You know, for me, the more I break the diet, the easier it is to break the diet and the harder it is to stay on the diet. Gotta get to that "I will do it... if just for today" stance, once you follow through one day, the next day is easier again....

So team, do I stay, or should I go?

What Sheila said.... Will the request to go to Germany still play out? Can you cancel that? The money would be nice for sure, and make you feel seccure, but will it take a big toll on your life in other ways? Having a buddy will def make it nicer... if he does some kind of split on you, will it be hell to be there again? Only you know how you feel... support from here whatever you decide...

Sarah, that is lovely and you must be so proud of him. Unfortunately there are so few pictures of me with my boys ( they are 20 and 26 now) because I was the one who volunteered to hold the camera. It was easier for me that way as being behind the camera was better than being in front of it. Doesn't leave many pics for them though.

Time to get in front of the camera with them ASAP!

Ladies, I posted this in the vets forum but I wanted to post it here in case anyone missed it. This really touched a deep part of my soul today and I wanted to share it with all of my closest "Pal" friends. (I stole that from you, Kim!) I just experienced the best NSV ever! This just happened... My 10 year old was playing in the basement, he came upstairs and said, "Mom, I found some pictures of me when I was little and you were in them. You look really different now. Your face used to be so puffy. Mom, you lost a lot of weight, I am really proud of you!". He then came over to me with a smile on his face and gave me a big hug. My heart melted. He was only 7 when I had surgery. I asked him if he remembered me when I was big. He said he didn't. I was glad. He also told me I looked really sad in all of the pictures. We talked for a while about being healthy and about never making fun of fat people. He then asked me how our lives would be different if I wouldn't have been fat. (Where in the world this little guy came up with a question like this is beyond me!) I told him that was a really good question and asked him what he thought. He said,"I think you would have been a lot happier and your face wouldn't have looked so sad in those pictures.". This was a very touching moment for me, I don't want to ever forget it.

Precious! Children have an honesty and candor that really amaze us at times! So happy for the new YOU that your son ONLY knows!!

Okay Kim, this is the info I got regarding sizing of corsets should any other inquiring minds want to know - basically you do measure from your waist the other measurements are less meaningful:

If you are interested in a steel boned body shaping corset (item numbers not beginning with A3...) then please measure your waist and purchase a corset 4-5" smaller. If your natural waist measurement is 30" then you would select a 26" corset. These corsets have a 6" modesty which means you can open a 26" up to 32" and tension the corset down according to control or comfort.

Steel corsets have a bust +10" larger than the waist and a hip measurement +10" larger than the waist, therefore if you are to select a 26" corset this would have a 36" bust. Bear in mind the 6" modesty panel, this would open to 42" at the bust.

Sarsar - I love your son's story! You know my sons are 21 and 24 and even at that age, they don't remember me as obese. When they see a photo, they are simply shocked. Like alot of moms I feel bad at the embarrassment I must have caused them as kids. My oldest is fat-phobic; he is kind and polite about it, but he simply abhores obesity.

I will answer for Daisy - the guy she likes is not the heavy drinker, he is a friend who had a GF who might now be available...

Florinda - I have a friend who works for a start up and he told me that he wants me to go to work there to provide adult supervision. sigh. They never actually accomplish anything and it drives him crazy.

If I were in your shoes I would stay for the money. Have to realize that I was raised with a work ethic that basically hard work fixes everything. I am not saying that is rational, I am saying that if all else fails, I gravitate toward working hard. Especially if the alternative isn't very appealing... One question though, if you do have a health set back, there are options to bail if you really need to, right? I doubt you will... just saying.

Last night I spent some time with a lady who is nearly 60 and has had MS for years. She rides horses (not well mind you). I haven't seen her in about 7 years and honestly she looks good. She said she has had some setbacks here and there, but just keeps living live and is hanging in there. Sadly, her daughter now has it.

I haven't been through this experience, but for me the terror is the big C. My little sister died of cancer and in the back of my mind, I have this "fear" that it will show up in me too young.

So, I have my second date with someone I liked alot. Well, more accurately, he made me feel all nervous and interested - so I must be attracted. He seems like a pretty upstanding guy and is super physically attractive. I hope it goes well, but i am keeping my expectations "in check" as i of course hardly know him. He is from alaska and works as a heavy equipment operator so more of a hunting, fishing and outdoorsy type than I normally seem to connect with. I am always looking for that "blend" of urban and outdoorsy and (other than Steven) really haven't found it. So, we shall see.

Oh, and Sunday I am taking a gun safety class with a close friend, so lots happening.

I had a great ride on my new horse last night - she is alot of fun. There was scary spooky huge flock of migratory swans swarming the fields right outside the arena. The sound was deafening and while she was a bit nervous, she did good. Instructor complimented me on my confidence and keeping my horse focused on work even while she felt that the bird invasion was imminent.