Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow! I had no idea about Mexico banding.

I mentioned to my friend about wanting to make a goal for the new year and become a bandster. She told me that a girl from her work was all out determined to get banded and had the money to go to Mexico to get it done. Well, she was told that she had a heart murmur and they didn't want to do the surgery. She insisted on having it done cuz she said that she never had heart problems before. Well, they started to go ahead with it, and she was prepped and about to fall asleep, when the head doctor rushed in and said, no way! we are not going to do this surgery until she is fully evaluated from her doctor. They told the woman that they would cover her airfare if and when she was given the ok to have the surgery.

I am still waiting to here how things went with her because my friend told me she was heading back about a week ago to have the surgery. My friend is quite concerned about her because she did not go through the complete process before having the surgery.

So, does this mean that if you self pay to have the surgery in Mexico, you don't have to go through all the steps before getting banded? That is what it sounded like to me. No pre-qualifying tests etc...? That can be dangerous I would think.

Peace,

Judy

Every doctor (US docs included) have different pre-op test they want done on their patients. It is all dependent on health status and past medical history (regardless of insured or self-pay). I think the problem with going out of the country for surgery is that the surgeon my not physically assess the patient having the procedure until the day of the procedure. This may not be true for all. But I highly commend the Mexico Doctor for demanding more testing before having the procedure. It shows they have your friends interest and health at heart and not just wanting money for a procedure.

That's my 2 cents.

Melissa Lea

I am getting banded in Mexico by Dr. Ariel Ortiz. He is a world renowned surgeon. He has actually trained many of the doctors who do it in the states. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and fax it. From there if you have a higher bmi or co morbities you have to go one day prior to the surgery date. They give you a full pre op examinations, everything they do here.

They can refure to do the surgery and refund your money. They will not band you if there is any risk. They have been doing it in Mexico a lot longer than the states. They have rules and regulations they follow just like here.

Audree

Dr. Kuri ran me through a TON of tests! I had blood work, EKG, full physical etc etc. This was done the day before surgery and he had also been known to send people home without surgery if something didn't look right.

Dr Ortiz puts you thru many pre op tests the day before surgery to include blood tests (including HIV), EKG with evaluation from his cardiologist on staff. A lung test to ensure the lungs can handle the gas pressure and you have to consult with his nutrionist as well. The lung test was very hard and i have never been a smoker - Dr Ortiz will not perform the surgery until you are able to pass all the tests. Also with the very thorough evaluation of your medical history that is faxed to Dr Ortiz weeks in advance, if there is a red flag he will contact you and advise more locally testing that may be needed prior to flying down to Mexico to have the surgery.

Kim

Hi Judy,

I was banded in Mexico and it was perfect. i have been in medicine for 20 years and have worked in many hospitals in the U.S..... my experience was so wonderful that if I ever need elective surgery I will return to Mexico. The level of care was far superior from any hospital I have seen here in the U.S. and that is more than 20 hospitals! My MD dr. Aceves is extremely good and wow ...what an excellent bedside manner!! He checks on you at lest a couple of times a day...no U.S. doc does that! Testing is thorough and he WILL send you back home if something is not right with your tests. EKG, blood work, X-ray, physical. I highly recommend it.

I agree. I was banded in Mexico by a surgeon who's done more than 7000 of these. He started in Switzerland in 1985, in Mexico in 1995 and is wonderful. I had my testing done and everything was wonderful. I went to 2 seminars here in two huge hospitals, Vanderbilt University and Baptist and they had both done less than 100 surgeries, this was a no brainer for me.

A surgeon who'd done 90 surgeries or one who had done 7000.