Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Biblical Case for Pro-Choice & Stem Cell Research

Gadgetlady: Interesting article. Thanks.

No problem. There are all sorts of developments in this field, and many scientists are coming to the conclusion that embryonic stem cells are very volitile and they're having better luck with adult stem cells and stem cells derived from the umbilical cord, baby teeth, and now, of course, this. So maybe this is an issue that won't need to be tackled in the future!

No other comments on how wonderful stem cell research is when it's from amniotic Fluid, not an embryo? Is there only interest in this potentially life-saving issue when it's being used to bash Christians?

No other comments on how wonderful stem cell research is when it's from amniotic Fluid, not an embryo? Is there only interest in this potentially life-saving issue when it's being used to bash Christians?

Uh... I just read the article about it today. Can you give us a chance?

My first thought about it was "thank goodness!!!" because now, maybe, people with chronic and debilitating illnesses will have a chance to increase their quality of life without being blocked at every turn by people who would, it seems, rather see them suffer.

My concern is completely focused on the issue of the patients suffering with crippling diseases, and I have zero interest in "bashing" Christians just for the sake of it.

Speaking for myself I put my money where my mouth is by participating in letter-writing campaigns, and charitable giving to the issues that concern me, including this one.

I can't speak for others, but my guess is that those who support stem-cell research care deeply about sick patient's quality of life and have little concern for getting on a soap box without standing behind their opinions by taking direct action.

I'm definitely extremely excited and bolstered by this new research into stem cells and I pray that more funding will be allocated to this new avenue, especially if there is no way people can attempt to block it on "moral" grounds.

My bet is that instead of stem-cell supporters wanting to bash Christians, it's the anti-stem cell Christians who secretly feel schadenfreude at seeing people with horrible illnesses. I can't imagine any other reason why someone would deny a living person a chance for a cure in order to save tissue that would never be a viable baby.

Guess what??? Did you guys know there are other things that have been proven to cause you to multiply the number of stem cells your body produces and that your body can actually correct itself when this occurs? For example, I know of some folks that have had some brain injuries due to strokes, accidents etc..........was told their condition would never improve due to the brain injury. However, after taking some natural non-toxic food components, their own body began to produce stem cells and gradually corrected itself. Now, that is a GREAT thing.

Wild...........about life.

Sunta, as a Christian, It isnt that I dont want the research to happen at all, I just dont want an unborn baby used to support this. I believe there are many exciting research lines available to further the research, and now with the amnio, It would be wonderful if this could end the need to supply stem cells from fetuses. I do however draw the line at accepting the justification for abortion, in any form, stem cell research or not.

The embryos used in stem cell research may have originally had the potential to become an unborn baby, but that potential would never have been realized, whether or not they were used in research. The embryos being used were being discarded. I don't know about you, but if I had the choice of either dying without possibly helping someone or dying in the act of possibly helping someone, I know which option I would choose.

T O M, In Psalm 139: 13-16, The words inspired by the Holy Spirit confirm to me that the unborn are indeed valuable to God. I dare not contradict them.

Another thing, Genisis 25:22, The twin babies in Rebekah are no only referred to babies, but two different nations and peoples. If God referres to these children as future nations and peoples, I dare say that just because they didnt take a breath yet that they were not valued by God and "not alive yet".

I know that anyone can pull any scripture out of context and create just about any "case" that they want. Its your choice. I would just be carefull to not atribute any case or cause to God because you are clever in plagiarism.

"No other comments on how wonderful stem cell research is when it's from amniotic Fluid, not an embryo? Is there only interest in this potentially life-saving issue when it's being used to bash Christians?"

I'm a Christian and I support stem cell research.

It isnt that I dont want the research to happen at all, I just dont want an unborn baby used to support this.

Do the people here who do not support stem cell research (not from amniotic fluid) think that the embryos being used would ever have grown into a baby?

If you think the fact that they would never have been viable babies is not important, do you think it's better to discard them in the trash than utilize them for life-saving procedures on real human beings?

I just don't understand the opposition.

Last week, I was watching Montell Williams & had a show about these women that used unconvential science to get pregnant. He was saying how many eggs are thrown out every year b/c people don't pay they fees to keep them refrigerated. Some people may decide they don't want more kids and they just leave the eggs there.

I don't understand why these people don't donate these eggs instead of letting them be garbage. It could help a lot of people.

A lady that worked @ one of the places that houses the eggs said they explain to the donotors & many still don't sign the necessary paperwork. I just don't see what the point is.

Stem cell research like most key issues of the day are not addressed directly in the bible and that includes both the old and new testament. That is because the bible was written over time, at a time based on the knowledge of the time. The bible gives very precise advice on how people should live their lives in the time it was written. Makes sense if the information was provided by an omnipotent god figure that this god figure would have known what the future had in store and as such He/She would have been able to provide us with clearer advice on what to do when we learned enough to provide abortions or do stem cell research. That this God did not tells me that it is likely that this information was not provided by a God. This is why I do not follow the bible nor do I beleive it to be devinly inspired. I do believe the stuff about being good and loving thy neighbour as valuable so I don't discount it outright. As a matter of fact I see it as a morall code of a group of people learned over time. It's content does provide great rules that should be followed however some of them have become outdated. (When they talk about giants or ribs being made into Women or Water into wine) I tend to ignore this based on my understanding of the prevailing ingnorance of the day on such topics as the origins of man and vinification.

I have no problem with anyone who does believe the bible to be true I just think that they are misguided. So when someone uses the bible to support or refute an argument it holds no sway with me.

I do however prefer the Greek and Roman Gods as they seem to have figured out the whole God thing much better and I am relativley certain they would have put the Water into wine thing to better use.

Does anyone have any idea what Zeus thought about stem cell research?

TommyO: I'll bite. What did Zeus think about stem cell research?

By the way, I sure appreciate you sharing your beliefs here. Very interesting approach to Biblical interpretation. I tend to agree with a lot of what you said.

gadgetlady: Don't you think that many passages in the Bible are metaphorical? I mean if you use an exerpt like "the baby leaped in her womb" you can't really believe that the baby actually leaped. Kicked or moved perhaps, but leaping for an unborn baby is impossible.

Victoriana: Do you really think that T_O_M's earlier post means that he doesn't think that God values unborn babies? I didn't read it that way at all. I didn't think that he was plagiarizing either, but perhaps he interpreted a passage differently than you. Since the Bible has been reprinted and changed so many times over the ages, it seems that you could allow a person some slack in how they choose to interpret any passage in the Bible, particularly since this is an open forum.

I think it is so interesting that NOT ONE OF YOU were interested in the idea that there are natural molecules that will multiply your OWN NATURAL STEM CELLS. HELLO........ANYONE READING THIS?????? THERE ARE MOLECULES OUT THERE THAT HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO MULTIPLY YOUR OWN STEM CELLS, SO THEREFORE, IF YOU HAVE PARKINSON'S, STROKE ETC............YOU CAN MULTIPLY YOUR OWN STEM CELLS AND REVERSE YOUR OWN CONDITIONS. BUT YOU ARE ALL SO CONCERNED ABOUT "WINNING" YOUR OWN ARGUMENTS. I SEE HOW MANY ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN A REMEDY IN THE DISEASES THAT ARE OUT THERE..............YOU HAVE A POLITICAL AGENDA.......NOT A STINKING SOLUTION. So, what do we calll that??????????????? You answer that question, I don't think I should. I am going to start a non-profit org to try to help people with this information. I am not trying to convince you, but only detect your selfish ambition and selfish agendas. What pooey you all are full of...............................

May the Lord bless you regardless of your total degradation. We all were there at one time................

Saved but not perfect.

Wild.................about life.

I think it is so interesting that NOT ONE OF YOU were interested in the idea that there are natural molecules that will multiply your OWN NATURAL STEM CELLS. HELLO........ANYONE READING THIS?????? THERE ARE MOLECULES OUT THERE THAT HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO MULTIPLY YOUR OWN STEM CELLS, SO THEREFORE, IF YOU HAVE PARKINSON'S, STROKE ETC............YOU CAN MULTIPLY YOUR OWN STEM CELLS AND REVERSE YOUR OWN CONDITIONS. BUT YOU ARE ALL SO CONCERNED ABOUT "WINNING" YOUR OWN ARGUMENTS. I SEE HOW MANY ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN A REMEDY IN THE DISEASES THAT ARE OUT THERE..............YOU HAVE A POLITICAL AGENDA.......NOT A STINKING SOLUTION. So, what do we calll that??????????????? You answer that question, I don't think I should. I am going to start a non-profit org to try to help people with this information. I am not trying to convince you, but only detect your selfish ambition and selfish agendas. What pooey you all are full of...............................

May the Lord bless you regardless of your total degradation. We all were there at one time................

Saved but not perfect.

Wild.................about life.

Since you know enough about this to start a non-profit organization, can I ask you a few questions?

1. Why do Michael J. Fox, Billy Graham, Muhammad Ali, Estelle Getty, Janet Reno, and Johnny Cash still have Parkinson's.

3. My bestfriend's father had a stroke 2 weeks ago and is in rehab now, can they help him?

4. Why do Montell, Lena Horne, and Tamia still have MS? Richard Pryor just died, never cured....

If it's so simple, why are none of these people cured?