Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Co-workers are starting to notice weight loss!

I have kept my surgery a secret from everyone at my job and TODAY people are starting to ask me what I've been doing and how much weight I've lost. (I am 8 days post op) I told them about 10 pounds..which is true since my surgery but I've lost 24 from the day I started pre-op diet until today. I feel like the questions are going to keep coming since I have lost about 1 lb a day so far and I'm not offering any information. I've heard the office talk about others who HAVE had the surgery and it's like they were a failure because they couldn't lose the weight on their own and had to use something so dramatic. Surely nobody would REALLY come out and ask me if I had surgery but I still don't want to tell anyone. I haven't lied, it's just none of their business..Has anyone else experienced this feeling of not wanting to share they had surgery?

I have kept my surgery a secret from everyone at my job and TODAY people are starting to ask me what I've been doing and how much weight I've lost. (I am 8 days post op) I told them about 10 pounds..which is true since my surgery but I've lost 24 from the day I started pre-op diet until today. I feel like the questions are going to keep coming since I have lost about 1 lb a day so far and I'm not offering any information. I've heard the office talk about others who HAVE had the surgery and it's like they were a failure because they couldn't lose the weight on their own and had to use something so dramatic. Surely nobody would REALLY come out and ask me if I had surgery but I still don't want to tell anyone. I haven't lied' date=' it's just none of their business..Has anyone else experienced this feeling of not wanting to share they had surgery?[/quote']

I'm in the same boat except I've lost 20 since surgery and one person said you've lost a ton dang! Well I lost 50 since starting preop diet. He asked how much I've lost since the last time I saw him and I said 20 lbs which is true because I saw him about 2 days before surgery.

I haven't told anyone about my surgery at work, but I'm sure some suspect it. It is none of their business and ultimately I'm not worried about their thoughts as much as my health. I work with 450 of my closest(not) friends and am highly visible so it's bound to be noticed.

I was just open with everyone where I worked bc i knew that it would be so noticeable and that i wouldn't feel right explaining to they later why I didn't tell them. It made things a whole lot easier for me. It was the right decision for me. I didn't care if others thought that I was a failure at weight loss bc I know that i wasn't. I'm just thankful I was able to have this life changing procedure to a healthier life style.... :P

I understand this. I only told my Boss at work because I had to put in the time request for 2 weeks in a row, which they don't like you to do. I didn't tell anyone else at work. I have lost a total of 32 lbs so a few people have mentioned that they notice that I'm losing weight, but because it's apprx 2-4 lbs a week I don't think that it looks that dramatic. I did tell some co-workers before that I was going to a nutritionist, which of course we are, so they just think that is what is helping the weight loss. I too have heard others say that weight loss surgery is the easy way out, but for me this is the only thing that has worked to lose weight, and I tried everything else first, this was truly my last choice.

I have kept my surgery a secret from everyone at my job and TODAY people are starting to ask me what I've been doing and how much weight I've lost. (I am 8 days post op) I told them about 10 pounds..which is true since my surgery but I've lost 24 from the day I started pre-op diet until today. I feel like the questions are going to keep coming since I have lost about 1 lb a day so far and I'm not offering any information. I've heard the office talk about others who HAVE had the surgery and it's like they were a failure because they couldn't lose the weight on their own and had to use something so dramatic. Surely nobody would REALLY come out and ask me if I had surgery but I still don't want to tell anyone. I haven't lied' date=' it's just none of their business..Has anyone else experienced this feeling of not wanting to share they had surgery?[/quote']

Noone (except my family) knows I had the surgery. Not even my inlaws. I personally don't think its Anyones business except mine and my husbands. Some ppl have no clue how hard it is to have a weight problem. Even my dad made comments about me taking the easy way out...he thought I should workout more instead. He doesn't know how hard Memorial Day was for me while they were eating bbq burgers I was still on pureed foods. NOT WHAT I CONSIDER THE EASY WAY OUT!!!

I told a handful of ppl and I suspect the rumors have been flying and that some of y close friends have spilled the Beans. But if ever asked how I am losing the weight I reply honestly..eat less and exercise more. None of their business but I also understand not wanting ppl downplaying your hard work. I know I have worked so hard to lose this weight and don't want that overshadowed bc I had some help.

I was sleeved on 12/27 and I was off work for back issue before unexpectedly. So

I never told work. Now with the more weight I loss each day some one is asking me what did I do to loose weight. Usually the Protein Shakes and exercise works. But the other day some one commented that the weight loss was fast. I on the other hand felt like a slow looser. I love my sleeve. But I never told people at work. For several reasons. So it's your body your decision. You don't have to feel obligated to tell.

I'm in the same boat except I've lost 20 since surgery and one person said you've lost a ton dang! Well I lost 50 since starting preop diet. He asked how much I've lost since the last time I saw him and I said 20 lbs which is true because I saw him about 2 days before surgery.

I haven't told anyone about my surgery at work, but I'm sure some suspect it. It is none of their business and ultimately I'm not worried about their thoughts as much as my health. I work with 450 of my closest(not) friends and am highly visible so it's bound to be noticed.

WOW! You are doing AWESOME!!!! Yeah, I'm sure they are suspicious. Oh well, we didn't do it for anyone other than ourselves, right!?

Noone (except my family) knows I had the surgery. Not even my inlaws. I personally don't think its Anyones business except mine and my husbands. Some ppl have no clue how hard it is to have a weight problem. Even my dad made comments about me taking the easy way out...he thought I should workout more instead. He doesn't know how hard Memorial Day was for me while they were eating bbq burgers I was still on pureed foods. NOT WHAT I CONSIDER THE EASY WAY OUT!!!

I know exactly how you feel! I didn't tell my mother because she has the same mentality about it. Only my husband and best friend know. You are sooo right! The 4th is coming and I'm still on liquids :-( Not the easy way out by any means.

I was sleeved on 12/27 and I was off work for back issue before unexpectedly. So

I never told work. Now with the more weight I loss each day some one is asking me what did I do to loose weight. Usually the Protein shakes and exercise works. But the other day some one commented that the weight loss was fast. I on the other hand felt like a slow looser. I love my sleeve. But I never told people at work. For several reasons. So it's your body your decision. You don't have to feel obligated to tell.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!! I just have to keep reminding myself it's nobody's business and it really is hard work after surgery. I didn't take the easy way out.

WOW! You are doing AWESOME!!!! Yeah' date=' I'm sure they are suspicious. Oh well, we didn't do it for anyone other than ourselves, right!?[/quote']

Thanks! You're so right this was for us not them, so we must worry about ourselves and families not their thoughts.

I did not share the surgery with anyone at work, either ... at first.

People asked me what I was doing and I honestly told them I was, "Eating less and moving more", which was absolutely true. I explained that I got rid of my dinner plates and bought slightly larger salad plates (true) and have drastically cut my portion sizes. I started running and doing exercise classes at the gym. All true. The surgery merely helped me do these things. As you know, or soon will, it takes a lot of work even with the surgery to do this. The back story is none of their business if you don't wish to share.

Some people are compelled to share everything going on in their life. (See Facebook, Twitter ... if you have never heard of it ;)) After I got to goal, I did begin to share my story with my co-workers because, like you, I didn't want the negative talk going on behind my back. Getting down to goal and IMO, looking great ... it is difficult to criticize.

I did not share the surgery with anyone at work, either ... at first.

People asked me what I was doing and I honestly told them I was, "Eating less and moving more", which was absolutely true. I explained that I got rid of my dinner plates and bought slightly larger salad plates (true) and have drastically cut my portion sizes. I started running and doing exercise classes at the gym. All true. The surgery merely helped me do these things. As you know, or soon will, it takes a lot of work even with the surgery to do this. The back story is none of their business if you don't wish to share.

Some people are compelled to share everything going on in their life. (See Facebook, Twitter ... if you have never heard of it ;)) After I got to goal, I did begin to share my story with my co-workers because, like you, I didn't want the negative talk going on behind my back. Getting down to goal and IMO, looking great ... it is difficult to criticize.

I am so encouraged by your post because the othe other day I had some one tried to dig deep almost in an accusatory way.

And asking me how I lost so fast. I will stick with not telling to at least I get to goal.

Incidentally I am def. going to do a TT later this year. If some ask I will tell. Lol

Thank you

I think people will talk regardless of what you say or what you tell them. Just keep it real. Good luck. And try not to worry what people say or think, it's your life not theirs!!

I am completely on the other side of the ball with this...no side is right or wrong! I am a teacher and I started losing weight in March and by the end of the school year I had lost 20lbs. It was the last day, just staff, as we are a big school and often go for a long time without seeing other teachers as they are a different schedule but people were saying I had lost weight and that it was noticeable. Obviously having 12 weeks away from school for summer, when I go back in late August, 2 months post surgery, its going to be noticeable and people are going to be talking. I wanted to nip it in the bud to avoid all of the gossip as to, "is she sick?" "is she doing drugs?" "is she doing this in an unhealthy way?" During full staff meeting while others were sharing about their summer, I raised my trembling hand and laid it all out there! I just said that in 2 weeks I was have WLS surgery and that I would be coming back different and if you had questions, just as me! After the meeting many people congratulated me, some didnt acknowledge it (totally fine!) and others told me their "friends" horror stories to which I just smiled. If I had an office job and didnt have so much time off in the summer, I dont know if I would have told everyone, but I am completely fine with my decision! I guess I would rather have people talking about my weight loss than speculating, assuming and starting rumors!

Best of luck with your decision!!

-Nikki