Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have August surgery date...feeling out of control

I am new here and I am scheduled for surgery on august 27th. Since I got approved, I am feeling somewhat out of control as far as food goes. I am trying to figure out what is going on with me. It is almost like I am trying to frantically eat all the foods I know that I shouldn't and won't be able to eat after surgery. But, I am very worried that if I am this out of control now...will I be able to reign it in for pre and post op??!! Is this normal...anyone else?

Well I think a lot of people have this issue and have food funerals. So you are not alone. It is best NOT to do this but I dont believe that it is going to mess up your progress afterwards. If you can begin now to think about what you are eating and try to chose healthier alternatives it can do nothing but help your future eating habits.

After you get sleeved you will not be able to eat like you have in the past. At least for a long time. Not sure if you are a goal maker but if you arent, start by making a goal a week until your surgery, Like this week work on getting in at least 10 glasses of Water each day (you can add in crystal light or whatever), next week make a new goal of cutting back or cutting something out of your diet (along with the 10 glasses of water daily) the next week add another goal maybe an exercise goal. That way you can ease yourself into this new lifestyle. That is what I did and it has helped.

It wont be long! You can do it!

Susie, that is such a simple idea...and so great. I think maybe I am overwhelmed by the thought of it and reading all of the information. I will start small and it will be more manageable.

It is just so strange to me that this is my reaction. I know that I am ready to change, yet I am behaving this way. Your suggestion will help me feel more in control. Thanks for your response!

Hi there, I went through the exact same thing. I tried to eat less and failed at it every day but then all the emotions and I had been an emotional eater all this time anyway. I even tried not drinking and eating at the same time but that was hard as well. I can tell you that your nerves will really go on a roller coaster ride and you just have to do the best you can and not beat yourself up about it. Once you start your pre-op diet you will do great and realize that now it's really happening and your life is going to change. I am doing fine so far and feel relieved that it's finally done. I am 3 1/2 weeks out and have lost 37lbs. You will regain control over your emotions and the surgery will help you not to feel so hungry anymore and therefore in control of your eating. Good luck and God bless.

I am trying to do what Susie in Lima talked about. My surgery date is 7/22 and my pre-op liquid diet starts 7/8. I began thinking...it's going to be like going from 0 - 60 if I don't do anything at all before the liquid diet starts, so I started doing things a little at a time. Three weeks ago, I gave up all soda and carbonated drinks as well as all caffeine except one cup of morning coffee. The week after that I started experimenting with Protein powders and started to eat high protein low carb meals. This week I gave up that last cup of coffee :( and I have a double Protein Shake for my Breakfast (2 scoops powder and 1 bottle water) Next week I plan on starting some treadmill and nautilus activities. I just couldn't imagine doing a liquid diet without doing any of this other stuff, and it really does make a difference. I'm eating the right foods and I'm really feeling much better

You're not alone and I think this is part of the stages of loss and acceptance. I am feeling this way too, I don't even have my surgery date yet, I should get it in Aug 21st when I go to the info session and meet the surgeon. I want to shift my diet towards low carb and increasing my liquids but in all honesty I feel if I make these changes before getting my date I will succeed and lose too much weight then be told I don't need the surgery. Silly thoughts in my head, but it's a stage I have to go through and come to terms with. Do things in steps, methodically and consistently. I'm so glad you shared toot feelings about this because it helped me realize I'm doing out too, lol.

True once you are sleeved you will have that built-in "urge protector" that will definitely put that in check ;-)

You gonna do great!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! This weeks goal is to get in enough Water. So far so good. Trying to figure out a good goal for next week!