Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea... when can I get rid of my cpap?

How much weight should I expect to lose before I can come off my cpap machine, or need to have it adjusted? I've been using it every night for about 2 years now, and cant sleep without it. But every since the surgery (I'm only 2 weeks postop), I am having a hard time tolerating it. I don't sleep as well, and the machine seems to bother me, almost like its blowing too much air. I have lost 35 pounds since before the surgery, but I wouldn't think that would be enough to warrant changing the pressure of the machine.

How much weight should I expect to lose before I can come off my cpap machine' date=' or need to have it adjusted? I've been using it every night for about 2 years now, and cant sleep without it. But every since the surgery (I'm only 2 weeks postop), I am having a hard time tolerating it. I don't sleep as well, and the machine seems to bother me, almost like its blowing too much air. I have lost 35 pounds since before the surgery, but I wouldn't think that would be enough to warrant changing the pressure of the machine.[/quote']

May I ask how bad is your sleep apnea and wow two years is a long time But its depends on your weight height and how many time your oxygen drop when u r sleep I had mines for ova a year and haven't used it most after I lost about 40 plds i didn't used it.

I'm 5'6, highest weight was 366, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea around weight 350. I am 2 weeks post op and weigh 331. I don't remember how many times my oxygen dropped when I was sleeping, I just remember the Dr being concerned not with how many times it dropped, but how low it was dropping. I know my level is set at 10 or 12.

I'm 5'6' date=' highest weight was 366, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea around weight 350. I am 2 weeks post op and weigh 331. I don't remember how many times my oxygen dropped when I was sleeping, I just remember the Dr being concerned not with how many times it dropped, but how low it was dropping. I know my level is set at 10 or 12.[/quote']

Oh wow u have a severe case 10 2 12 is extremely high wow yeah that y I he was concerned I was 315 when I got oxygen drop 17 times a night to 45% and I'm 5'3 so give a take another 30 more pounds u should be just find and good luck nd congrats on da weight loss

I've been using a CPAP machine since 1989 and have been through a few big weight losses (down 120 lbs once). After the big weight loss, my pulmonologist chose to have me continue using the machine but on a very low setting.

Regarding your current situation, my experience has been that if it feels like there's too much pressure, there definitely is too much. You should contact your cpap supply company and ask them to lower your setting a little bit.

Although it is not recommended, I've always adjusted my own machine. Found the clinician's manual on the internet. :D

Ive had mine for about 2month & my pulmonary doctor says 3 months after surgery I have to go back in so he can check me & then I have to go have another sleep study to see if my sleep apnea is gone !!! My surgery is July 11

Ive had mine for about 2month & my pulmonary doctor says 3 months after surgery I have to go back in so he can check me & then I have to go have another sleep study to see if my sleep apnea is gone !!! My surgery is July 11

That is exactly what my pulmonologist told me. I've had one sleep study since surgery and my setting was lowered, but I do still need it, unfortunately. Not everyone can come off the cpap, even though I know I wasn't symptomatic when I was this weight on the way up in size. I'm still hopeful, though!

My newest machine is self-titrating, which means that the machine automatically adjusts the pressure to what is required. After I'm sleeved and start losing weight (fingers crossed), I'm going to set my bottom end of the range lower but leave the upper end of the range as is.

I own a respiratory company and we specialize in cpaps and i am a respiratory therapist. My advise is to call your sleep dr and let them know you have had this surgery and how much weight you have lost. Weight absolutely affects your pressure needs and your settings will need to be adjusted more than once as you continue to lose weight. Ask them about you doing an overnight oximetry ( this measures your heart rate and oxygen level) and if your cpap has a download card take it in to your cpap provider and ask them to download it and fax it to the dr.

To much pressure will affect your sleep because it can cause your brain to constantly awake even if you dont know it, there for it can keep you from getting into REM sleep which is the restful sleep. Do Not go without your cpap until the dr says its ok. I have seen way to many patients die of heart attacks in the night