Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm home! I got here yesterday and so far I'm trying to figure out my new normal. How do you do it?? How can you get all you fluids in without being uncomfortable or hurting? How much do you try to keep Dow. An hour? What were the first things after just watery things you tried? Thanks!!

My 1st week, it was not a priority to get in all the Protein and Water. It just wasn't possible. I sipped and sipped Crystal Light lemonade all day and ate sugar free popsicles. I just did the best that I could and if it felt uncomfortable, I stopped. It was 5 or 6 days before I could get any fluids down in large quantities.

My 2nd week I started eating Cream of Mushroom Soup, and even then, I was only eating about 3/4 of a can per day. My main priority was fluids. I knew I had enough "stored energy" - read: fat cells :-P - that I wasn't in any danger of being malnourished!

post-46516-13813666916426_thumb.jpg

Same here. The first few days there was no way I was getting in all that was recommended. Fluids were the priority. It wasn't until about a week out that I was able to get to the low end of the target ranges.

I came home yesterday. I've been sipping on a bottle of Simply Balanced flavored Water from Target since I got up 3.5 hours ago!! Had lots of pills to take also, one at a time, so not even done with it yet but getting close.

The hospital NUT and nurses stressed getting in the Water WAY before trying to get in the Protein. Just do what you can, keep sipping, and don't worry about Protein at this very early stage.

So nice to be in my own bed last night... You will enjoy that tonight!

I'm 3 weeks post op and I'm still not quite hitting my Water and Protein goals but I'm moving closer. In the first week, it was all about hydration (sip, sip, sip), walking and resting for me. Those three things were a full time job. :blink:

I'm home! I got here yesterday and so far I'm trying to figure out my new normal. How do you do it?? How can you get all you fluids in without being uncomfortable or hurting? How much do you try to keep Dow. An hour? What were the first things after just watery things you tried? Thanks!!

I'd start the day with a Protein drink. I would sip (not drink not gulp) on it until it was finished. I was able to get more in faster as the days went by. Then I got my bottle of Water, my 1oz shot glass, and the log they gave me to fill out. The log has the time on it in 15 minute increments so I would do half a shot and check it off on the log. I also did my incentive spirometer 5 times on the hour and half hour. It took effort and time. I'd also get up and walk as often as I could remember.

My doc gave me a goal of 1-3 oz an hour (while awake) for the first few days. I was on Clear liquids the first week. My first day drinking I only tolerated about 5 oz. but each day I was able to get in more and more. :)

You'll be figuring out your 'new normal' a year and two years from now until you finally 'settle' into it and it becomes as natural as breathing!!! It's a wild ride, enjoy it!!!! I could only eat an eighth of a cup at a time, I like chicken broth the best and we even ventured out to a Mexican food restaurant and I ordered tortilla Soup and told the waiter, "plenty of broth". It was fabulous, I'm serious, I could only sip a little, but it was great!! Just make sure you don't get any solids!! Good luck!

My 1st week, it was not a priority to get in all the Protein and Water. It just wasn't possible. I sipped and sipped Crystal Light lemonade all day and ate sugar free popsicles. I just did the best that I could and if it felt uncomfortable, I stopped. It was 5 or 6 days before I could get any fluids down in large quantities.

My 2nd week I started eating Cream of Mushroom Soup, and even then, I was only eating about 3/4 of a can per day. My main priority was fluids. I knew I had enough "stored energy" - read: fat cells :-P - that I wasn't in any danger of being malnourished!

post-303680-13813141441168_thumb.jpg

Your post made me laugh, I use to always say I could live off the fat of the land for quite a while....and did!! LOL

I'd start the day with a Protein drink. I would sip (not drink not gulp) on it until it was finished. I was able to get more in faster as the days went by. Then I got my bottle of Water, my 1oz shot glass, and the log they gave me to fill out. The log has the time on it in 15 minute increments so I would do half a shot and check it off on the log. I also did my incentive spirometer 5 times on the hour and half hour. It took effort and time. I'd also get up and walk as often as I could remember.

If I may ask, what's a spirometer?

If I may ask, what's a spirometer?

An incentive spirometer is a medical device used to help patients improve the functioning of their lungs. It is provided to patients who have had any surgery that might jeopardize respiratory function, particularly surgery to the lungs themselves,[1] but also commonly to patients recovering from cardiac or other surgery involving extended time under anesthesia and prolonged in-bed recovery. The incentive spirometer is also issued to patients recovering from rib damage to help minimize the chance of Fluid build-up in the lungs. It can be used as well by wind instrument players, who want to improve their air flow.

The patient breathes in from the device as slowly and as deeply as possible, then holds his/her breath for 2-6 seconds. This provides back pressure which pops open alveoli. It is the same maneuver in a yawn. An indicator provides a gauge of how well the patient's lung or lungs are functioning, by indicating sustained inhalation vacuum. The patient is generally asked to do many repetitions a day while measuring his or her progress by way of the gauge.

incentive-spirometer-i9.jpeg

On the right-hand side there is a tube with a mouthpiece that flips down. You have to inhale through the tube until that blue disk at the bottom reaches a preset determined at the hospital. You're supposed to inhale at a rate that keeps the little blue bead between the two arrows. It's quite the task. :lol:

Ah the lovely spirometer. I had to use that for about a week after and I could tell when it all cleared.

As for liquids/protein, it was an all day thing and I felt like I sat around watching the clock. My goal was Water first and foremost. The Protein slowly added on. It took over 2 weeks to really get the Protein I needed. Just be patient and it will come. Sip, take your time. It's a full time job!

An incentive spirometer is a medical device used to help patients improve the functioning of their lungs. It is provided to patients who have had any surgery that might jeopardize respiratory function, particularly surgery to the lungs themselves,[1] but also commonly to patients recovering from cardiac or other surgery involving extended time under anesthesia and prolonged in-bed recovery. The incentive spirometer is also issued to patients recovering from rib damage to help minimize the chance of Fluid build-up in the lungs. It can be used as well by wind instrument players, who want to improve their air flow.

The patient breathes in from the device as slowly and as deeply as possible, then holds his/her breath for 2-6 seconds. This provides back pressure which pops open alveoli. It is the same maneuver in a yawn. An indicator provides a gauge of how well the patient's lung or lungs are functioning, by indicating sustained inhalation vacuum. The patient is generally asked to do many repetitions a day while measuring his or her progress by way of the gauge.

incentive-spirometer-i9.jpeg

On the right-hand side there is a tube with a mouthpiece that flips down. You have to inhale through the tube until that blue disk at the bottom reaches a preset determined at the hospital. You're supposed to inhale at a rate that keeps the little blue bead between the two arrows. It's quite the task. :lol:

Thank you! Okay, didn't know the name of it but the first facility I was at for their WLS program showed that to me. I guess I didn't know the name of it. Then I switched facilities mid-stream & they've neve mentioned it. Sounds important! Thanks, at least I hope to remember to ask about that next visit!