Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biggest protein bang for the buck

What have you found to be the most concentrated source of Protein?

I'm having a shake (22 gms protein/110 calories) for Breakfast and lunch and a small normal meal for supper. 3 months later my hair continues to come out at an alarming rate and I'd like to increase my protein intake. My surgeon suggested 60 gms/day and I've stuck pretty close to that.

Should I add some unflavored Protein powder to my shakes? What's the maximum protein intake per meal recommended? Does the body not absorb more than so much protein per sitting, would I be wasting additional protein? What have you found to have the highest amount of protein grams in the least amount of bulk? Sure I can get 40 grams of protein by eating a lot of fish, but I can't physically consume that much fish at one time.

Anyone else having the same issues?

Suggestions?

Every morning I drink one serving of Zero Carb Isopure. I buy it at GNC. You can buy it online too.

DIRECTIONS:

For a rich, thick shake, mix 2 scoopfulls with 12 Fluid ounces of Water in a shaker or blender. If a shaker or a blender is not convenient, Isopure can be stirred into solution with a spoon.

NUTRITION FACTS:

Calories- 210

Carbs-0

Protien-50 g

Potassium 750 mg

cholesterol 5mg

Sodium 320 mg

Total fat 1g

Here is the link to the website you can buy it from.

http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=zero%20carb%20isopure&origkw=zero%20carb%20isopure

I looked up Protein requirements on the net, the average consumption for U.S.A. is 100gm/day

Requirement are: 40gm/day for females

55-70 or 0.8 gm/kg body wt for males

but a study (skov.et.al.1999) showed over weight women consuming 125gm/day lost more wt. than those eating 68gm of protein per day.

This tells me that we need to find as much protein as possible with our tiny tummies to knock off the fat! I bought some Protein Powder, I'm going to start adding it to everything! lol

What have you found to be the most concentrated source of Protein?

I'm having a shake (22 gms protein/110 calories) for breakfast and lunch and a small normal meal for supper. 3 months later my hair continues to come out at an alarming rate and I'd like to increase my Protein intake. My surgeon suggested 60 gms/day and I've stuck pretty close to that.

Should I add some unflavored protein powder to my shakes? What's the maximum protein intake per meal recommended? Does the body not absorb more than so much protein per sitting, would I be wasting additional protein? What have you found to have the highest amount of protein grams in the least amount of bulk? Sure I can get 40 grams of protein by eating a lot of fish, but I can't physically consume that much fish at one time.

Anyone else having the same issues?

Suggestions?

Yes you can add additional protein to the shake. However it is important to consume more animal protein as it has nutrients needed...several which will help with Hair loss. If you are not getting at least 800 cals most of the days and at times about 1000 your body will go inot starvation mode and hair is one of those things which is not that important in the scheme of things. Also make sure you take supplements...vitamins especially the B's B6, B12, Folic Acis and Biotin to help your hait and overall health. Take care and make sure you are eating enough!

If it were me I'd ditch the Protein shakes alltogether and start eating some real food, a few more calories and a much more varied diet.

I know we all follow what we're told to do by our surgeons, but honestly in Australia we dont do this Protein first thing at ALL and the band is very successful here. Its not necessarily a healthy way to eat and you may be getting plenty of protein but you're missing out on a whole host of other nutrients as a result. Even if you want to do a higher protein diet, getting it from animal sources in conjunction with fresh vegetables, fruit and wholegrains is a much better way to go.

My band doesn't like solids in the morning and I have a very high-stress job that makes anything but liquids for lunch impossible. Hence the shakes.

I wonder if one of the posters has hit directly on the problem--not eating enough good nutritional food. My surgeon said for dinner to eat 3 ounces of Protein followed by a cup of vegetables and THEN carbs if I still had the desire/room for them. I admit that over the past few weeks I have foolishly filled my pouch with less Protein, no vegetables (unless in a cheese casserole) and more with tastes of Cookies and Christmas treats.

What, besides getting back into the Good-Lapband-Habits diet schedule, does everyone do to ensure adequate nutrition? I take chewable Centrum Silver and 2 Tums daily for Calcium.

I don't stress too much about my diet. I have had good luck with my loss so far and my hair hasn't fallen out so I'm pretty happy about that. Here's a typical day menu for me:

Breakfast

1 packet of instant oatmeal

Bottle of Water

Starbucks mocha light frapaccino

lunch

3oz packet of tuna with a bit of mayo and sweet relish

Bottle of Water

snack

Goldfish crackers

dinner

Casserole or something like that, about 1/2 cup or so

Bottle of water

Since my last fill I probably only take in 1200 calories or so a day. I very rarely drink a Protein shake, and only if I can't get anything down in the AM.

My doctor told me that once I start eating solids, I should give up the shakes, because they are a liquid, and will not stay in the stomach and slowly digest, which is the whole idea, right? He said that if I feel like I need the Protein, to have a Protein Bar instead of a shake or drink. Just something to consider.

If it were me I'd ditch the Protein shakes alltogether and start eating some real food, a few more calories and a much more varied diet.

I know we all follow what we're told to do by our surgeons, but honestly in Australia we dont do this Protein first thing at ALL and the band is very successful here. Its not necessarily a healthy way to eat and you may be getting plenty of protein but you're missing out on a whole host of other nutrients as a result. Even if you want to do a higher protein diet, getting it from animal sources in conjunction with fresh vegetables, fruit and wholegrains is a much better way to go.

Im not sure engineered sources are the way to go- supplement fine but for total nutrition?

Vary your diet and your hair loss will slow down. I stopped the shakes and resorted to a more varied diet and my Hair loss has almost stopped!

I stir the any whey unflavored into my drinks(hot tea, sugar free hot chocolate etc...) in between meals and dont worry about my diet. This is for the long haul and shakes are not something I plan to do forever.