Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As we all know, you are not supposed drink fluids while eating your meals. This is a big concern for my wife, who is also having the surgery, because she drinks fluids constantly every day and is afraid of how she will handle not drinking while eating. Did anyone else have this concern and how did you handle or overcome this fear after surgery? Any suggestions for her? Thanks.

I'm really concerned about this as well... I have always consumed a LOT of liquids during meals. I read another post on here that someone has tiny sips during meals to help the food get down...

I'm post up. I too am a big Water drinker. I still have trouble with the 30/30 rule, but do not drink during a meal. Honestly I can't. It hurts sometimes if I try. Also, eating much slower and somehow that makes you les thirsty. Plus, those shakes get so old, you don't want to drink...you want to chew.

It isn't that hard to relearn how to eat without drinking. After a while you won't even notice it. I was a big drinker with meals and now it isn't a big deal. Depending on what I am eating, I may take a sip every now and again, but mostly I follow the rules. If you don't you will feel really crappy.

I was worried about that as well. I honestly have had no problems with it. I choose foods that have liquid in them. When preparing meats I make sure they have some kind of broth or something to keep it from getting dry. It was a adjustment to do all of this. However, at 7 months post op it is natural now. Best Wishes

first of all...geaux tigers!

the only time I really miss drinking during meals is when I am in a restaurant--I guess because everyone else has a drink...at home I have already re-learned just in the six weeks I have been post-op

Start practicing now. If the glass isn't in front of you to grab, it really helps on the relearning how to eat slow/chew thoroughly. And while eating out, just ask the waiter to remove it when the meal arrives.

I'm five weeks out and still struggle with this

Ditto what GypsyQueen said...remove the glass prior to eating. Takes some getting used to, but it'll get easier with time.

Oh yeah...Geaux Tigers! :D

I feel like I'm always drinking, waiting to drink, taking Vitamins, eating, waiting to eat, then starting all over again! This is a full-time job. :)

I think this is the hardest thing for everyone...we learn to live by a clock and it seems crazy. But the reality is if you are gonna succeed you just do it...I always have a drink with me, but drinking and eating will stretch the sleeve and Water down your food and wont be able to consume the nutrients you need to succeed....She will do fine! Good luck.

I think this is the hardest thing for everyone...we learn to live by a clock and it seems crazy. But the reality is if you are gonna succeed you just do it...I always have a drink with me' date=' but drinking and eating will stretch the sleeve and Water down your food and wont be able to consume the nutrients you need to succeed....She will do fine! Good luck.[/quote']

I don't believe it will stretch your stomach, but it does hurt food absorption. Plus if you drive alot ahead of a meal you won't have alot of room in your stomach

I carry a Water bottle EVERY WHERE I go, so I completely understand her concerns! I have not have the surgery yet, but I have already started training myself not to drink 30 before, with, and 30 mins after meals. It's hard! But I've found that chewing gum helps during the 30 mins before and after... Also including some sort of sauce or juicy food (apple sauce, watermelon, juicy meats, etc) is really helpful during meals. Sometimes I need a small drink, but by starting now I figure it will be so much easier after surgery.

Hope this helps :-) Good luck!!!

I feel like I'm always drinking' date=' waiting to drink, taking Vitamins, eating, waiting to eat, then starting all over again! This is a full-time job. :)[/quote']

I agree with you! And it's almost the most annoying part of this whole process. My world revolved around food and beverage before, and it's worse now!

What helped me previously (had the band first) was to set my clock on my cell 45 mins prior to Snacks, lunch and dinner. This gave me at least 15 mins to "wet my whistle" prior to eating until it became my norm.