Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 5:2 diet

I think I'm in my fourth week now? (I wish someone would keep track of stuff for me' date=' cos I SUCK at it.) So today was my first fast day of the fourth week I guess. The eating days have sometimes been OTT, lots of social events and parties going on. I lost down to the point where my weight started with a 6 again...but then bounced right back up to nearly 72. So I can't tell if I've lost anything at all in the overall four weeks... That said, I like the fasting anyhow, and the feeling of having these days where food is my b*tch LOL. I am not finding it too hard to fast, though I do get a bit irritable from time to time. Maybe I should lay off the sugar on the eating days. I don't eat TONS of it, but it's not helping... Same for all the wine. Alas. I am sticking with this cos I like it, whether it 'works' or not -- how's that for a lifestyle change kind of diet??? Wow...

Workouts and walking and all that, per usual. No big whoop to do it on fast day at all.

ETA: I fast all day till at least 2 pm and have a small lunch, cos I like my dinner! So I hoard most of my calories for a proper dinner after a long hard day in the office...[/quote']

I say "whatever floats your boat" and works for your lifestyle.

Can someone please explain this like in a few sentences. I'm reading through and I dont get it. People are eating on fast days? What order does it go in?

FastDiet is 5:2. Five "normal" days. 2 Fast days withal 500 calories. Book says 25% of TTEE bit sleevers generally don't eat the 2000 they base the 500 on. We are all following the 500 women/600 men method. Better to NOT be consecutive for us. 12 hour "rest" preferred for maximum fat burning. For example, the day before your fast you eat at 7pm nothing else till morning. If you ate at Breakfast at 7 you would have a 12 hour window. Eat your small meal, Protein Shake or whatever works for you (I do oats) others do Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese/veggies. If you need to small snack mid day then dinner 7 or so. No more then you would have another 12 hour window Tim the next morning. I eat usually late morning or mid day who h means I have a longer rest to start then small snack and that leaves me around 300-350 calories for dinner. Grilled chicken stirfry, Tina salad, lean cuisine. Whatever works for you. Maybe some fresh fruit. Done. Then next day NORMAL for you. I fast Tues/Thurs. others do Mon/Thurs to spread out days. I have completed 3 weeks. Lost 14 pounds. Been lucky. Average weight loss 1-2 week. I am being very conscious of everything in ALL days. Logging all in MFP and exercising 30 mins ( big for me!) most days. Lifestyle. Don't even really think about it at this stage. Not hard for me at all. Others say otherwise. But THIS will be my maintenance. Once reach goal again (6-7 lbs) want to get down below to have 2-3 lb bounce and then it's just life or 6:1 if I think I can keep it off that way. I have small treats usually once a week during social events. I eat CLEAN and healthier and MUCH less on normal days. Sleeve has really shown up again and true hunger. There you have it. Hope that helps, Friend!

Can someone please explain this like in a few sentences. I'm reading through and I dont get it. People are eating on fast days? What order does it go in?

Nevermind I read one of the links for some reason they werent showing up on my app

FastDiet is 5:2. Five "normal" days. 2 Fast days withal 500 calories. Book says 25% of TTEE bit sleevers generally don't eat the 2000 they base the 500 on. We are all following the 500 women/600 men method. Better to NOT be consecutive for us. 12 hour "rest" preferred for maximum fat burning. For example' date=' the day before your fast you eat at 7pm nothing else till morning. If you ate at breakfast at 7 you would have a 12 hour window. Eat your small meal, Protein Shake or whatever works for you (I do oats) others do Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese/veggies. If you need to small snack mid day then dinner 7 or so. No more then you would have another 12 hour window Tim the next morning. I eat usually late morning or mid day who h means I have a longer rest to start then small snack and that leaves me around 300-350 calories for dinner. Grilled chicken stirfry, Tina salad, lean cuisine. Whatever works for you. Maybe some fresh fruit. Done. Then next day NORMAL for you. I fast Tues/Thurs. others do Mon/Thurs to spread out days. I have completed 3 weeks. Lost 14 pounds. Been lucky. Average weight loss 1-2 week. I am being very conscious of everything in ALL days. Logging all in MFP and exercising 30 mins ( big for me!) most days. Lifestyle. Don't even really think about it at this stage. Not hard for me at all. Others say otherwise. But THIS will be my maintenance. Once reach goal again (6-7 lbs) want to get down below to have 2-3 lb bounce and then it's just life or 6:1 if I think I can keep it off that way. I have small treats usually once a week during social events. I eat CLEAN and healthier and MUCH less on normal days. Sleeve has really shown up again and true hunger. There you have it. Hope that helps, Friend![/quote']

Thank you ..is this something you do way later in post op? I'm a month and a week out..I'm only eating between 200-300 calories a day now

Thank you ..is this something you do way later in post op? I'm a month and a week out..I'm only eating between 200-300 calories a day now

OMG, yes!! You need to strictly adhere to your surgeons plan. We are all vets 2 or more years out trying to get to or keep or get back to goal! Good luck on your journey! Welcome to the club!

Today is my fasting day. I've had a Quest bar for Breakfast and a chobani yogurt with whipped cream for lunch. I will have Soup for dinner......I hope this works to get rid of at least 2 lbs......I just realized I had gained 7 lbs and that's just not acceptable to me. So fasting it is..... :P

These Quest bars are everywhere! I've not tried one but I'm going to have to one day they sound good. Can't wait to get back on track.

Today I've eaten like a fat queen :P

We are in the land of excess today (Vegas)

Quest bars are high calorie, high carb but they are also high in Fiber so it's a toss up.

I tried to fast yesterday and didn't do very well, so I decided to go for it tomorrow. I'm still going to try to have a low carb dinner, but I did have a taco bell taco for lunch because I didn't bring anything to work. I think they are only 200 calories though. I need to look on their website.

I don't think I am going to be able to do Protein Shakes on my fast days. That's what I tried yesterday and I was too hungry.

I really do think this should be moved to the vets forum.

OMG we are in Vegas now and the hotel is outrageous! And guess what there is a scale in the bathroom!!! I saw it and got scared because I've been eating so bad... Today was the worse we had wood fired pizza with prosciutto, gruyere,

Grapes. So good I ate two pieces!!

Oh but the scale I just stepped on it with my clothes on (I usually weigh naked). Up two pounds. If its true? not bad! There is hope!

I'm coming home tomorrow so I will fast on the way home.

Oh yes Oregondaisy I agree.

These Quest bars are everywhere! I've not tried one but I'm going to have to one day they sound good. Can't wait to get back on track.

Today I've eaten like a fat queen :P

We are in the land of excess today (Vegas)

I know that place well. We were just there a month ago, too!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

So Thursday... Are any of you ladies still doing Thursday? It's my normal day to fast and I might just do it because our plans of a 14 mile bike ride (mostly downhill) got cancelled because my poor husband is in bed with a stomach bug :(

I'm so out of my comfort zone. I feel like I'm I. The twilight zone right now. So much of my life has been so structured around my little sleeve world that I'm finding it really hard to let go mentally for this vacation.

Even my husband has been sending mixed messages to me.

He tells me please just forget about the sleeve and eat "normal" while we are here.

Then the next minute he's like "your eating that"

(Cheese crackers) or "how are you going to count those calories"

Food' date=' food everyday it's still about food.< /p>

Anyway it's a beautiful day in Colorado! I went out for a bit this morning.

Yesterday I rode a roller coaster type thing you take the ski lift up to the top and ride on a toboggan type thing that you control. It's funny the whole time waiting for my turn I stressed because I'm still very obese in my mind and I wondered how it would "fit" into the toboggan...

I kept looking for someone big in line so I could see how they fit. But alas everyone was small.

There was a group of obese women sitting to the side waiting for there family members that were in line. I kept starting at them knowing how they felt but also wondering if I should be on the sidelines too...

I fit, and a had a f**king awesome ride! And would of done it again if it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

Life it's weird huh?

[/quote']

Congrats on your NSV! I hope your husband is feeling better and I hope you have many other NSV's to come!!

Hey everyone, I am so excited.....

I lost 3 lbs and feeling great......

It is hard to do the fasting thing, but I did it.

Had a bit more than 500 calories though, more like 600.....

But it still worked unless it was Water weight.....

I did drink a lot of water bc I was totally hungry.....

Today is a day I can eat healthy choices too.... :)

I've recently just undergone the procedure myself and I've experience rapid weight loss in a very short amount of time. While it is true that I can not eat certain foods anymore, I am more than fine with adjusting what I eat to accommodate my new lifestyle.

I have also started eating mostly all organic foods which is supposed to help your body with the healing process. Has anyone tried an all organic diet after surgery? Over-all the best piece of advice I can give is to stick to your gastric sleeve diet and watch the weight just melt off of you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jayme has undergone gastric bypass surgery and is an occasional guest blogger on sites like http://www.bariatricskinny.com/gastric_sleeve_diet, where she likes to share his experiences and give some tips to others on how to recover from surgery.

Anybody want to move this thread???

Skinniness! Great loss!

I'm going to have a tough morning I know because everyone wants to go out to eat..

And I'm doing my fast but I know I will feel better afterwards so it will be worth it.

Oregondaisy how goes the morning so far?

Someone PLEASE move this thread to the vets forum before people hitting a normal plateau less than a year out start screwing with their bodies needlessly! Or before newbs start to think this is the way to eat all the time. I think that combining 5:2 with the sleeve is too much, honestly, and that this is a method that is better suited to maintenance or to shedding weight several years out. Just my opinion, of course, but I can see there being issues from this post being here. :)

So, I'm doing 5:2 and pretty frustrated. I lost ten pounds in five days last week. I got sick. I didn't eat very well for a few days. Just not many calories in general, and when I would eat I'd eat most of my calories in one meal. Between that and the antibiotics and maybe just being sick in general...all ten pounds came back.

Big frowns, all around.

It doesn't matter if I really gained (or lost) anything. I would rather the scale hadn't moved at all than see it dip down into the promised land only to fly back up and put me in weight loss hell again.

Loss phase sucks.

In any case, back on a fast day today. Sipping green tea and doing a decent job of things. I have to space my calories out into four small meals for fast days to be easy on me. Otherwise I have a problem with my sugar going up and down.

How do ya'll make fast day dinners work with your family? Normally I'd just eat whatever sitting at the table with my little ones and my husband but my stepkids are in for the summer and they (the girls in particular) pay attention to every bite I put in my mouth. I hate to rig up my calories to be heavy at the end of the day so I can eat dinner with them but seriously, they're kinda freaking me out. I guess I can just spell it out for them, but sometimes they try to emulate the way I eat anyway, and we're trying to avoid any issues. Their older sister (not here this year) is very troubled and anorexia is a part of that. From time to time the younger gals have tried to eat along with her, too, or with their mom when she does her crazy diets, so I want to avoid any trouble.

I was also working out until getting sick (it's in my lungs now, YUCK!) but I've been on my feet a lot and have been finishing up some move-in things so it's not like I'm being a lazy bones. I feel like I'm losing a part of my soul saying it, but I actually think I miss doing my evening video. It's like I'm losing my mind around here!

Anyway, fast day for me, not too tough to stay to 500 calories when you feel crummy and your meal plan is set.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

~Cheri