Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

keep having feelings of regrets

:(

Look at the unicorn.... It is a soothing unicorn..

Breath...in........ And.......out.

You know I LOVE the new avatar!

For Laura-ven:

ae445d9a83f40d8c363c9e75cf4eb701.jpg

toocool.gifUnicorns are cool.

For Laura-ven:

Unicorns are cool.

I must say my inbox is filling up with people telling me to get rid of the creepy unicorn!

But then I've had a few people tell me it make me look nicer :P

I've researched for over a year & I never came across that info! I am scheduled to have surgery this Friday & if my surgeon tells me that WLS will or can shorten my life....... I will cancel in a heartbeat!!! I am a ball of nerves & have been so stressed out today...... This just might be the fricken' icing!

Molly, you will be fine. No ball of nerves for you! You're the freaking happy face!

I can't imagine it taking 18 years off our lives. I have my monthly checkup on Friday and plan on asking my doctor. I know his response is going to tell me to stop reading these types of posts and forums.

Yep most likely cause mine already told me that but sometimes u need some 1. 2 talk 2

I really can't imagine that if it took that many years off people's lives or any at all, that docs would be sleeving people in their 70's...that doesn't make any sense

For those who are researching this (and I will too when I get a free minute), try looking at long-term prognosis for those who've had their stomaches removed because of stomach cancer. There may be a link between loosing a stomach, long-term nutrition, and life expectancy. Although I highly doubt that it shaves off 8 to 10+ years off.

I rather believe that when pushed and prodded for a definitive guarantee, a doctor will give the "Well, there is a lack of research and therefore it is possible that there could be a decrease on years although not probable" kind of vague non-comittial response. I mean, no one can absolutely say with 100% certainty that there is a link between WLS and decreased life span....just like they cannot say with the same degree of certainty that you will live longer.

I will probably forego the research and err on the side of common sense in this case.

Molly' date=' you will be fine. No ball of nerves for you! You're the freaking happy face![/quote']

LMAO! Thank you for that!

I'm sorry and totally not picking on the original poster but that statement is a load of bunk. Please don't anyone believe that 18 years bs. Those doctors that told her that without any real data are terrible. If this procedure cut that kind of time off lives most of us would not have chosen to have it. Not to mention that it would have to be disclosed to patients before surgery. Most of us would have a hell of a lawsuit if the was the case. It is simply not true. I am in the medical community and I can assure you the doctors that told her that are mistaken. It is a bit laughable.

I look at it this way. Even if it does shorten your life span, so does being obese! But if WLS will increase the quality of the life I have left, then bring on the WLS! Nobody can guarantee how long you will live, with or without the surgery.

LMAO! Thank you for that!

:)

It gets easier. sleep rhythms, like body temperature control, are thought to be impacted by the change in ghrelin production in the body. We have to remember that there is still so much about ghrelin that isn't known and some of the unusual changes we experience post VSG are ghrelin related rather than weight loss related.

It is a waste of energy to regret anything. There is no going back so my advice is to chose not to regret as this will only make you miserable. Instead choose to do the right thing by your body, take the Vitamins, eat well, live well and ride out the unsettled few months as you adjust to the new you. It does get easier but it will always be different to how you were before.

As for this 18 years nonsense, it is nonsense. I would like to know the names of the three doctors who supposedly said this.

I was always a little over weight then I became anorexic in high school and got really sick my bones in my spine started deteriorating I was not taking Vitamins either. Doctors told me I needed to start eating so I did but not much the. I got pregnant and gained 90lbs I ate 3 meals a day but blew up I tried every diet and exercise I would loose 20-30 lbs then gain it back then I had another kid next thing I know I am 5'4 and weighed 325lbs!!! After 7 years I decided I could not live like that any longer my doctor recommended me for weight loss surgery and I chose the sleeve. Anyways I'm 4 weeks post op and I've lost 33lbs :) :) the sleeve has been around for years it's part of the duel Dina switch. They use to use a bigger sleeve but now it's smaller docs realized people could loose weight with just the sleeve! My doc and the pulmonary doc both told me this would add years to my life as heart problems and diabetes run in my family. So I don't believe that it cuts off 18 years of your life.

I can relate. I am nearly 13 weeks out...woke up regretting it & still do. I had trouble with sleep at first, but then, as I began exercising more I am back to sleeping like always. So, you may want to exercise more. I do have more energy now, so I don't sleep as hard or as long as I did before surgery. I don't mind the vitamins; I've taken Vitamins & supplements for years now since I first saw Dr. Oz on Oprah years ago. It may help to get one of those days of the week tray things & do them as soon as you get up in the morning. I haven't had the hair loss yet, but I know (and dread) it coming. I don't have a boyfriend, but I think my sex drive would be fine if I had a man! lol I haven't experienced in change in breakouts - maybe check with your nut or even a dermatologist to see what it is your body is needing to clear it up.

I don't get in the fluids or Protein, either. Eating and drinking are still uncomfortable for me. It has gotten better, but it is still a struggle. I worry about the getting older, too. It freaks me out that I willingly cut 18 years off my life with this surgery, but I did it. I have to be accountable. And maybe the 18 yrs I have read about & been told about is wrong! At least, that is my hope!

I truly get it. Don't let the sleeve cheerleaders who love their sleeve get you down with their comments or questions - because they don't get you & your situation....just take it day by day. It is getting easier for me to deal with this decision, maybe it will get easier for you, too.

Best of luck to you.

The gastric sleeve does NOT shorten life expectancy. This is ABSOLUTELY wrong, and in fact morbid obesity and the results from morbit obesity is the real killer!

The Bottom Line

These findings emphasis the health benefits of losing weight. Obesity is linked to dramatic increases in the risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Losing weight can dramatically reduce those risks, as seen in this study.

Gastric bypass surgery is an option for people who have not been able to lose weight through lifestyle modifications. Once weight is reduced, controlling blood sugar, high blood pressure and other health conditions becomes much easier.

Another outcome of these studies may be the lowering of the BMI threshold for gastric bypass surgery. Until these studies came out, there was no solid evidence that gastric bypass surgery increased life expectancy. Now that that evidence exists, we may see gastric bypass surgery recommendations being made for more and more people.