Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days since surgery

Another December 18th bandster here!!!

I am sorry to hear about your vomiting. I have not had that yet. I am also confused and trying to learn the body signals of hungry or not. I have to force myself to eat and I have constant grumblies of gas rumbling through my insides. It is like a symphony every time I use the bathroom. haha

We can all learn this together. Sometimes in the day it takes me an hour to drink 4 oz. Then other times I can do it in half. I just had a small Protein drink and drank all 6 or so oz in about 40 minutes. I am now content and don't feel like eating anything else. My back is sore also from laying around and not getting comfy and I get some burning in my back which I assume is from the gas. I long to have a full night sleep some time in the near future since currently, I get up in the middle of the night and come on this board. ho-hum.

Glad we are all in this together. Please keep me posted on how you are doing with the vomiting and I am glad you called the Dr.

Hi all!! Was so glad to find your posts as I too was having the burbing thingy going on..pressure in my chest when I drink or eat...but no vomitting. My Dr. had me on liquids for my first Breakfast then for lunch he had me on pureed..says he wants me on pureed for 2 weeks. I thought I would have to do 2 weeks liquid..so which is right? I do not want to stretch my pouch. Hugzzzzzzz, Cindy

Hi All...be sure you follow you drs. instructions. It really is funny how each dr. is different. Mine has me on liquids a full 7 days, then to "full" liquids like carnation instant Breakfast, the protien shakes, yougurt and such. Hey by the way, mix a cup of peack yougurt into an EAS advant-edge French vanilla, really yummy...Good luck all

Keep reading the post in this form. Lots of different ways of explaining what is going on after banding. Do not get stuck on one comment, move on and read some more. There are lots of challanges ahead and lots of rewards.

Remember to take it slow, chew completely and try to figure out what that New full feeling is. Full in your gut is not the same as full in your head. Your head will tell you to keep eating when you are full, SLOW helps.

You all have a few days on me. I was banded Thursday Dec 21. It isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I have to admit I am not really hungry, though.

I was banded 12/19 so I can relate to a lot in this thread. I was glad to read about the hiccups because I have definitely had them. Had no idea they could be a sign of fullness, though!

I think I ate too much Soup last night because I was in discomfort for quite awhile. I couldn't tell if it was gas or overdoing it. I hope soon I'll know what each feeling is.

Are we able to have the full feeling on liquids even though they go right through?

As for vomiting, I've done it twice. Once when I was taking a pain pill crushed up after I had an antibiotic. The two together just did not go well. Second was Friday night. It was again after the antibiotic. However, I had not had much to "eat" and I was sitting at my desk pressing against it. I'm wondering if the lack of food and the pressure on my stomach did it.

Thankfully, yesterday I was nauseous and vomit free. I feel so much better than the first days after surgery.

As for hunger, I truly think the pre-op clear liquid diet helped me. I went through my withdrawals, emotional breakdowns during those ten days so this is a bit easier. I'm sure I'll still face bad moments, even days, but at least I know I can get through it.

Hello all!

I also got banded this past week. I tell you it's like looking in a mirror when I read this postings. The worst thing that I feel out of everything is the damn pain on my shoulder and the uncomfortableness of laying on my back. I have taken about 3 showers each day since the 20th, hot showers that is!!! then I've applied ben gay and popped some tylenol chewables. It seems to go away for a bit. Good excuse for my honey to massage me. This morning was the first morning I actually sat and cried cause it hurt so much. Its funny cause It hurts when I eat mostly. I can get past the gas so far but the pain is horrible!

The gas used to expand our guts like blowup toy takes time to be desolved back into our bodies. It was needed to make room for the Doctor to work. It causes pain in the back and shoulders. Sitting or laying around is the worst. Walking and streching a little helps a lot. The gas that is traped in the banded gut is a little different. Our gut still makes lots of acid, only now we are not adding a bunch of food. The little bit of food is quickly broken down by the acid. This causes lots of gas. The banded area is swollen after being banded. The restriction is tight and we are not used to moving around to burp the lower gut. It is like pating a baby on the back to help them get the gas out. We just need to learn how to do it, its all new. If you can picture walking and moving around to allow the burp it will help.

Good luck to all of you

Maurdan, I was also banded by wonderful Rumbaut and the Mcdreamy team on the 5th of December. I was very hungry on the liquids, and did a lot of sugar free Jello and popsicles, and made my own Protein Shakes. I am on my first week of mushies and believe me, it gets better. My shoulder and port pain are gone, my scars are healed, and I am actually getting satiated on small amount of mushies. Who would have believed it?

Today is the first day I felt hungry other than at meal times. However, I drank some milk and I'm fine now. If this lasts, I think I'll make it through. I can't wait for mushies though!

I was banded 12/13/06 and have had no problems. Gas was minimal and I was off pain meds after 3 days. The doctor said that they had to use the largest band they have and that my first fill would probably be a larger amount than usual. I can see why. I have minimal restriction and have been able to eat with no problem. While I am eating far less than before the band, I can definately tell I need a fill. My doctor recommended the 2 week full liquid diet post surgery but that I should progress to soft food and solids as soon as I could tolerate it. Well, I can tolerate it just fine so I have been enjoying soldid foods at 10 days post op. For those of you experiencing vomitting or other side effects, I am guessing that it it is because you have a smaller band and greater restriction? Initially, I was 403lbs, 367 pre-op and now am 349. Kind of scared to get the fill but am looking forward to losing more weight. :clap2:

Hi, I'm not banded yet, everything is done but the exact date, probably the 15th of Jan. Kinda glad I found this thread, tells me what to expect! Then scares me to think I have this to face to, but know that it will be worth it.

I was banded on the 18th of Dec and i had the hiccups all the time, never vomited, i felt nauscious (spelling is probably wrong) and my doctor gave me medicine to put on my wrists. The pain in the shoulders is from the gas that they use during the surgury, I have talked to several people who have had gas used during surguries and they all agreed that trying to walk around a little bit and trying to move helps alot.

My first day I only got pain medicine once and that was a small amt. after the operation. that was about 11:30am. they told my to rest a bit. I was up and walking by 12:15pm, the nurses didnt help me though. I had to sit up by my self put my IV on the little carrier and walk and get ice chips.. it kind of sucked at first trying to figure out how to sit up but you get a hang of it eventually.

Good luck to everyone!

Well, I am now 9 days past surgery and still hurting quite a bit. Lots and lots of gas. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what. Taking my ground pills seems to make it worse or maybe it is just the taste adds to the displeasure. I couldn't walk outside yesterday. Too many storms. Yes, the ones that sent the President to shelter. When do the gas pains stop?