Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experience with Dr. Garcia and team

I had same day revision surgery from band to sleeve on 5/22 with Dr. Garcia and ready for a change.

Day 1

When I woke up that morning I was ready to go. My husband loaded up the car and headed out. We dropped our daughter off at my parents house and headed to the airport. Once we landed in San Diego within minutes Samuel Jr.was calling to let me know he was waiting for us. r4ac has an older model mini van but it was very clean. Samuel showed us around a bit and we were at the hospital within 25 minutes. When I arrived at Florence Hospital Samuel took all of our luggage in and waited with us until the receptionist was available to give me paper work to fill out. After I filled out the paper work Ana who is the onsite coordinator took us to my room and gave me a gown and explained what was going to happen now. After I disrobed Hector the X-ray tech came and wheeled me into do some X-rays and have blood work and urine test. Then I returned to my room where the nurse gave me some medicine to calm my nerves (though I was not nervous at all, God had already given me peace) and put in my iv. Next, I meet Dr. Velasco who she is very pretty and another female doctor but I can't remember her name, Dr. Cabrera who is the anesthesiologist and Dr. Garcia. All of them were very very nice and answered all of my questions and spoke English very well. Next thing I knew I was being wheeled into the OR, Dr. Cabrera asked was I ready, I said yes and that's all I remember. When I woke up my husband was there telling me about his adventuress in Tijuana while I was out, but I don't remember hardly any if that conversation. I had no nausea, no pain and very little gas. Though I had no issues the nurses were on it with the medication and checking vitals every hour on the hour. As soon as I could I got up and walked. BTW the tv sucks. They are currently changing to digital so there was absolutely nothing to watch. This was the only down fall thus far.

Day 2

When I woke up the nurse told me to get in the shower. I really didn't want to since I felt like I had just been beaten up but she insisted. With the assistance of my wonderful husband I showered. About 15 minutes later she came back to change my dressings. Later I was taken by Hector again for X-rays and a barium test. It wasn't nasty to me but maybe to others. I was just glad to have something in my mouth by that time. Everything was great! Still no pain, no dry heaving or vomiting I could just feel the gas moving which landed in my chest. No true pain just uncomfortable. So I walked and walked some more. Later that evening I was given the blue dye test and that was all good too! Finally I could have Water, apple juice, Gatorade, ice chips OH MY! Life is looking pretty good at this point!

Day 3

This day the gas had moved to my back! Dang it!! But I didn't want any more drugs and they wouldn't take no for an answer. Oh well. Here comes the nurse again insisting on a shower so I did. I still needed some assistance since that stupid drain is always in the way!

Then she once again came to change my dressings but Dr. Velasco came in and she did it and took out my drain. Not painful at just a very weird feeling. She went over the pre op diet with me and answered all of my questions. While I was out walking the halls I ran into Dr. Garcia who was on his way to see me. He is a very sweet man. He told me that my surgery went perfectly, that I had very little scare tissue and issues with my band. He gave me all of his contact info answered all of my questions and even gave my husband my band after surgery! Eww!! Lol the nurse came to take my iv out and I was ready to get out of there. Ana came and gave me my papers and to go bag with water, Gatorade, all my medicine, pre op diet and my little stuffed tummy. Hector came and wheeled me out to the Marriott van and off we went. The hotel is very nice and have English speaking tv! We were ecstatic! However, I started feeling feverish but I thought I was because I fell asleep with the heating pad on. Any who Dr. Luna was coming shortly to take out my staples and boy is he a hottie!!! He took my temperature and it was 100.4 check my vitals and all was good. Then he proceeded to take out my staples, no pain at all. He took my temp again and it was 99.8, so he order me some Tylenol and allergy medicine since I also had some drainage. He is also very nice and sweet. He gave me all his digits and was out. About 30 minutes later my husband went down to the lobby to pick up my meds. Someone rode a bike over to the hotel to deliver it!! Can you believe that? My husband ordered room service. He had some shrimp enchiladas and tortilla Soup and I had chicken broth. It was very tasty!!

Day4

I felt like a new woman! I was up and at it early. We got dressed and was off to walk to Walmart. We got almost there as it is up a large hill from the hotel and I was winded and it was a little chilly out side so we turned around and walked back. BTW it was only like 8am. We got back to the hotel and walked to the pool and sat there awhile, then to the gym. I did the bicycle for about 5 minutes and I was ready for a nap. We had lunch in the restaurant which was nice. After then I went to the store and got v8 splash and Vitamin water. It was a Mexican flavor but were good! That night I took a shower and changed my dressings they don't look as bad as I thought. Watched a ton of CSI Miami, New York, NCIS and criminal minds and off to bed I went.

Day 5

I was feeling great again! At 7:01 Samuel Sr. Called to say he was there to take us to the airport. At 7:07 we were on the road. 7:25 we were at the boarder. Neither my husband or I had a passport but wasn't an issue. At 7:50 we were at San Diego airport.

To sum it up everything exceeded my expectations. Everyone was very nice and treated me like I was the only patient they had. Sorry it was so long. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Great post. I loved every word!

Thank you for sharing, so happy you had a good experience!

Sent from my iPad using VST

LOL

Steph...how on earth did you not have a passport? Do you know how lucky you are the guards did not ask for it? I have been to TJ at least six times in the past two years and 5/6 times I had to show my passport. You best be buying some lotto tickets sweetie. :D

Thanks everyone. It was great.

LOL

Steph...how on earth did you not have a passport? Do you know how lucky you are the guards did not ask for it? I have been to TJ at least six times in the past two years and 5/6 times I had to show my passport. You best be buying some lotto tickets sweetie. :D

Girl I asked Alma if I needed one and she said I would be ok without it. There were others in the van with us and Samuel Sr that spoke Spanish and English but when the guard started asking questions nobody wanted to talk! Lol. So I told her why I was there and she said ok and let us thru. Somebody was praying for me for sure!!!

so do I need a passport

so do I need a passport

so do I need a passport

I did not have or need a passport but if you are unsure and have enough time I would get one.

I would get a passport card in you live in the US. It's cheaper and allows you to go into Canada, Caribbean, Bermuda and Mexico at border crossings. In a few months you won't look like your $135 passport so why spend the extra money. Passport cards are $55

2 ladies with us showed birth certificate and Drivers license no problem

im scheduled for 1/9/2014 with dr Garcia.. im super excited..

Thank you Stefani for sharing your experience. It was great for me to read 6 days before my surgery with Dr. Garcia. Alma also reassured me that all I need is my birth certificate and drivers license. I already have the BC's packed for both me and my husband. You have been so amazing and it has been great getting to know you. I can't believe you were on the "bike" working out 4 days post op. I am looking forward to getting to the "Losers Bench".

Thank you Stefani for sharing your experience. It was great for me to read 6 days before my surgery with Dr. Garcia. Alma also reassured me that all I need is my birth certificate and drivers license. I already have the BC's packed for both me and my husband. You have been so amazing and it has been great getting to know you. I can't believe you were on the "bike" working out 4 days post op. I am looking forward to getting to the "Losers Bench".

I have no doubt that you will have an amazing experience with them as much as I did. You will do great and I've been saving this seat on the losers bench just for you!! Please keep me posted while you are there if you can! I hear they have english cable tv at florence now! That should make it even better!! Lol