Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we develop food intolerances after surgery?

I've read a few posts of people developing food intolerances after surgery. I found a slight intolerance to milk, but nothing outrageous. What's the reason for this?

Thanks

I'm not sure, but I was very lactose intolerant post op and still have a problem if I have too much milk, ice cream, etc. I was able to eat greek yogurt very early out and at first the only whey Protein that didn't make me sick was powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

My theory -and it's just my thought really - is that the smaller stomach size and less food in to mix around really highlights any intolerances that might have been there pre-op.

Lynda

I only have problems if I eat too much. Then it's hello, heartburn. Because the spicey food I love is RIGHT THERE, at my esophagus.

I'm still afraid of my sleeve, I don't want to try anything!

Mine is the opposite that I can't figure out. I have been tested for food allergies and know that I am allergic to dairy products. This is not lactose intolerant but an allergy to the Proteins. Prior to surgery I would get really sick and all things dairy would go right through me if I had anything even baked or cooked with milk as an ingredient. Now, I can eat dairy items without any problem whatsoever. The PA has no idea why this is and neither do I. Now I can eat cheese without getting sick. Yea!!! Who knows why? Weird, huh?

That is a very good question! Along with the intolerance, i also wonder why our tastes tend to change after surgery. I've read many posts where food that people loved before surgery tastes just awful to them after. One thing for me is m&m's I liked them before surgery, and after surgery, i had a couple, and i don't like them, don't like the way they taste. In this case it's a good thing, but it's still curious!

I am not sure why this is but I developed a severe allergy to dairy short term from 3 weeks for about 3 mos post op and I mean severe I was hospitalized for extreme uncontrolled abdominal pain and the only thing they could ever attribute it to was dairy products all of them lactose or no I couldn't do whey Protein bc it comes from milk. I went a week in hospital test after test and they even made me eat a bagel with GI contrast and found nothing.The only thing that seemed to make it go away for me was not eating anything that had milk traces....and then at almost 4 mos it went away??

That is a very good question! Along with the intolerance' date=' i also wonder why our tastes tend to change after surgery. I've read many posts where food that people loved before surgery tastes just awful to them after. One thing for me is m&m's I liked them before surgery, and after surgery, i had a couple, and i don't like them, don't like the way they taste. In this case it's a good thing, but it's still curious![/quote']

This is me with PB I think I want it and I will have a bite of something with it and I am like ugh!?

The sleeve can cause severe heartburn. They put me on a heartburn medicine for a year postop just in case. I suddenly can't stomach certain seafood (lobster or shrimp) or anything with a chocolate taste (chocolate sugar free pudding almost made me throw up, the chocolate EAS Protein was downright awful now). I don't know why