Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the one board I did Not want to join

But here I am, writing from my hospital bed. Was sleeved 4/11, I had a "revivision" surgery as I had gastric fundoplasty as a teen for GERD. I came to ER almost 2 weeks ago, they found an abscess, so they went in and cleaned it out and put bilateral JP drains. I got discharged after a week in the hospital. Day 2 after being discharged I could barely keep anything down, Started running a low fever again. Called the surgeon told me to wait until am. So that night I had a popcicle and was going to call it a night. 30 mins later I went to empty my left jp drain and that thing was cherry red! Next morning surgeon finally said to go back to ER. Had to wait till yesterday to get my upper GI done but they found the leak and told me that my sleeve looks like a gastric bypass pouch on top a small sleeve. My surgeon (not sleeve surgeon) and upper GI dr came in seperately and told me about the stents and a few other options. I was scheduled for the stents this am but something just didn't feel right and have asked for 2nd opinion. Both drs were not confident that they would be able to properly place the stents, that they wouldn't move elsewhere and that they would even work since my "sleeve" is so mis shapen. My leak is in the upper pouch part and I don't ser how a stent would work. I asked about a resleeving as they call it to get rid of the pouch and they said eveything is too enflammed right now. I would just like others opinions that have had leaks or any other experience with stents. They said I would have it for 3 weeks only

I don't have any answers for you but just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are going through this and I hope they are able to help you and make you better soon!

Omgosh.. Sorry you're experiencing all this. My prayers for a quick resolve and recovery.

What has your original surgeon said about resleeving?

I feel so awful for you and that you are experiencing this. I am afraid I don't have much to offer, either, except support. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

I'm so sorry. I am still pre-op but have seen others here post about a claw closure instead of the stents. They are supposed to be more comfortable at least.

Wow, so sorry that you are going thru this -- I am thinking of you and wishing you a healthy outcome!

OMG : SO SORRY TO HEAR OF WHAT YOU ARE NOW HAVING TO GO THROUGH.... HAVE YOU CONSULTED WITH OTHER BARIATRIC SURGEONS ....?PERHAPS, YOUR DOCTORS COULD CONSULT WITH OTHER BARIATRIC SURGEONS IN THE NEW YORK CITY AREA ?THERE ARE FINE ONES AT NEW YORK UNIVERSITY-LANGONE MEDICAL CENTER AND AT MOUNT SINAI MEDICAL CENTER IN MANHATTEN...THESE SURGEONS HAVE MANY YEARS OF EXPEERIENCE IN MANAGING CERTAIN ISSUES RELATED TO THE VSG PROCEDURE....I AM PRAYING THAT YOU FIND RECOVERY AND GOOD HEALTH EACH AND EVERY DAY.....ALL THE BEST...TO YOU ..ALWAYS...

Hey lady,

I am a leak survivor and I has stents for two months.

I am more than happy to message with you. I in NO way want to scare you from treatment, because we do what we have to when it's life or death. I am only writing my honest experience. Things may be different for you.

I had severe pain with any movement, no swallowing, vomiting, nausea and much more and I am still dealing with the damage of the stents. Sneezing, coughing, breathing and most tasks that require movement of the chest were unbearable.

I had two stents.I had one inserted and it migrated south and then the next day a second one was inserted. Both stents covered my esophagus and entire sleeve.

I have two months of food under my belt. I have an ulcer and these weird masses. These masses have developed from the stents. I also have misplaced bile coming into my sleeve from my intestines, this is from trauma of stents. My stomach is inflamed from the constant friction metal mesh running on it.

I was given no option. Stents and several heavy duty antibiotics to treats the infection.

I am wishing you nothing but the best. Leaks are very scary. I am here for you!!

Best,

Sannah

I'm not sure where NY came in... I'm in houston originally from maine. I am having my stents put in in a few hours.

Sending you tons of love and support!! I know it's very hard!!! You are resilient and even though this feels very hard, you are stronger than you know!!! You are in my thoughts!!

I am in the exact situation you are in I have a abscess and a leak towards the top of my sleeve. My surgeon is just letting my leak heal on its own and it is slowly but surely working. I also have a JP drain placed as well

I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers. Best of luck to you.

So I spent a month in the hospital... got sent home with the stent, picc line, iv meds and tpn... my first follow up with the surgeon was weds... first real discussion on what was going on, that I can recall anyways. He said I have a tare in my esophagus plus the leak and abscesses. I still have the jp drain, and surgeon is discouraged that its still draining a month later even tho its cleared up significantly. So here's where sh*t got real REAL quick... RNY to fix... ok I've accepted that... then said that the tissue of my esophagus and top of my sleeve are so badly compromised that he will most likely have to TAKE MY ENTIRE STOMACH OUT! He said he would attach my small intestine straight to my esophagus. I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around this. I got up the courage to google it yesterday and only cases I could find were people with a rare stomach cancer. This is certainly not what I signed up for!

OMG I am so sorry to read this! I cannot imagine all the emotions you are going through right now! I never even thought about this when I had my sleeve - I don't think any of us do. My prayers are with you!