Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 week Transformation challenge for vets

Ok fiddleman, I almost died tonight! I'm more out of shape than when I was 280 pounds! How sad! I gotta get back to a routine!

I feel the exact same way. I can't wait to get fit again. You can do it. :) I wish I had the energy and drive Fiddleman does. Hopefully someday.

Thanks Amie!! I'm going to keep at it.

OK - here we go...have taken measurements, weight and the like. My goal is to lose inches and weight during these 12 weeks. I've been focusing a lot on my diet and "clean" eating. So this is just going to give me the motivation to keep at it for 12 complete weeks. Just received my heart rate monitor yesterday, so it will be another tool to help me track my activity. How often are we checking in?

Check in as often as you like whether it is to share some goodness or seek some extra motivation. This transformation challenge of 12 weeks is not going to be easy so feel free to reach out to others at any time if you desire.

There are really 4 phases to the 12 week plan:

Phase 1( day 1-21): this phase is all about momentum. Imagine a rocket taking off. It is going to spend the most amount of fuel and need the largest percentage of boost to break free of the atmosphere. Use this time to find your rhythms and rituals of training. You may not be "feeling it" yet. This is going to feel like a lot of work. Keep at it and realize every day is a new day.

Phase 2 (day 22-42): you may express some concern and / or frustration because you may not be seeing the results yet. Don't worry and hang in there. It is likely during this phase you will hit your first breakthrough. If you have established a good rhythm, it is during this phase that your body will stop resisting change and start working with you. This will be motivational and help you finish the phase strong.

Phase 3 (day 43-63): here you might enter a slight plateau. Results may slow a little. It is at this time you want to double check your practices, your nutrition, make sure you are reaching peaks during each set, focus on really good nutrition for the last phase,

Phase 4 (day 64-84): expect to question if your goals are high enough. When during the first few weeks you were filled with doubt, suddenly it is as if the force is with you. The last 21 days are when you will achieve the most rewarding measurable results.

I plan on posting back at the end of each phase with measurement results.

I feel the exact same way. I can't wait to get fit again. You can do it. :) I wish I had the energy and drive Fiddleman does. Hopefully someday.

Motivation is another muscle you can flex. The more you are engaged, the bigger this muscle will become.

There are a few phases that we will move through to flex this motivation muscle:

1. Obligation based motivation - " I should do this": external motivation is based on an " I should" mentality. With each effort, you feel it is your obligation to push the stone up the mountain. Everyone enters this phase when starting into fitness. It is enough to get you to the gym and perhaps to hire a trainer. However, it is not sustainable and you will fail if you do not move into "desire" based motivation.

2. Desire based motivation - "I want to do this": we want to do this 12 week transformation because we desire the body, the self-image, the strength, the confidence or the fitness that this 12 week training period promises. The motivation is external, but at least we are moving towards it instead of away from it. We are probably all in the desire based motivation phase.

3. Enjoyment based motivation - "I love to do this": here is where we want to get to soon. It is in this phase that we have a deep passion and interest to do the program. This is how I feel about running, but do not yet have this type of motivation for training.

4. Mastery motivation - "I am inspired! Just try and stop me!": this is where training become not just an activity, but a way of life. It may not come at the end of 12 weeks, but it is something to strive towards. Mastery motivation makes training feel effortless and you are a flame of inspiration burning bright for others. It motivates others. Training becomes as natural as breathing. This is how I feel about nutrition as a post op. I am not far away from this type of motivation for running.

Keep these phases of motivation in mind and understand that it takes time to achieve the right state of motivation. We will all struggle with it in the next 12 week, but the results will be completely worth it and lay the foundation for a strength-based life.

Motivation is another muscle you can flex. The more you are engaged' date=' the bigger this muscle will become.

There are a few phases that we will move through to flex this motivation muscle:

1. Obligation based motivation - " I should do this": external motivation is based on an " I should" mentality. With each effort, you feel it is your obligation to push the stone up the mountain. Everyone enters this phase when starting into fitness. It is enough to get you to the gym and perhaps to hire a trainer. However, it is not sustainable and you will fail if you do not move into "desire" based motivation.

2. Desire based motivation - "I want to do this": we want to do this 12 week transformation because we desire the body, the self-image, the strength, the confidence or the fitness that this 12 week training period promises. The motivation is external, but at least we are moving towards it instead of away from it. We are probably all in the desire based motivation phase.

3. Enjoyment based motivation - "I love to do this": here is where we want to get to soon. It is in this phase that we have a deep passion and interest to do the program. This is how I feel about running, but do not yet have this type of motivation for training.

4. Mastery motivation - "I am inspired! Just try and stop me!": this is where training become not just an activity, but a way of life. It may not come at the end of 12 weeks, but it is something to strive towards. Mastery motivation makes training feel effortless and you are a flame of inspiration burning bright for others. It motivates others. Training becomes as natural as breathing. This is how I feel about nutrition as a post op. I am not far away from this type of motivation for running.

Keep these phases of motivation in mind and understand that it takes time to achieve the right state of motivation. We will all struggle with it in the next 12 week, but the results will be completely worth it and lay the foundation for a strength-based life.[/quote']

This is wonderful information. Thanks for sharing it. I definitely have different motivations towards things. I've always been an athlete so when it comes to sports I love and enjoy all of them and could play basketball all day long. But just plain cardio on the other hand, I have to make myself do. I also have a rough time leftwing weights it gets really boring for me. So I think I'm going to look into a cross fit and or something similar. I did start Karate a couple months ago which had be great for muscle build, just wish I could make it here more often. Good luck with the challenge everyone. I'll be popping in to get some motivation from you all. I wish I could commit to this kind of thing but have a hard time sticking to scheduled exercise due to my work.

I am interested in this, but currently I am not able to participate. I just got some bad reports from a couple of MRIs and I am getting ready for a couple courses of treatment and possibly a surgery or two. I will have to have some PT is get things back in order. I wanted to comment so I could mark this so I could find it a little later on. Best wishes to everyone participating. I want to see those before and afters in 12 weeks :0)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Week one is done on the transformation challenge and it has been awesome! In the gym every morning while on vacation in Kauai.

Here is what I did @ about 9 am every morning:

Monday: travel

Tuesday:

2 mile run @ 6 mph

Cross fit warm up of sit-ups, push ups, lunges, pull ups, etc

15 minute AMRAP of 1 minute plank, 10 v-ups, 15 sit-ups, 20 weighted sit-ups ( 15 lb)

2 mile run @ 6 mph

Wednesday:

2 mile run @ 6 mph

Push dumbbell exercises with 12-10-8-8+ sets, really focusing for peak intensity. Started with 20, 25, 30 and 35 lb for each set progression.

2 mile run @ 6 mph

Thursday:

2 mile run @ 6 mph

15 minute AMRAP of 1 minute plank, 10 v-ups, 15 sit-ups, 20 weighted sit-ups ( 15 lb)

2 mile run @ 7.5 mph

Friday:

2 mile run @ 6 mph

leg dumbbell exercises with 12-10-8-8+ sets, really focusing for peak intensity. Started with 30, 35, 40, and 45 lb for each set progression.

2 mile run @ 6 mph

Saturday:

2 mile run @ 6 mph

10 k run @ 7.0 mph ( used a program that statistically simulated actual course - cool!)

Push dumbbell exercises with 12-10-8-8+ sets, really focusing for peak intensity. Started with 20, 25, 30 and 35 lb for each set progression.

Sunday (today - this is my plan):

2 mile run @ 6 mph

52 card exercises of jumping jacks, burpees, push ups and air squats (will take about 20 m). My wife will push me to completion.

2 mile run @ 7.5 mph

Monday: will travel

I followed the clean eating plan for the week (eating a meal every 2-3 hours paying attention to a good balance of the macro nutrients) and drank about 1.5-2 g of Water a day. banana with Peanut Butter is now my favorite pre workout snack! so yummy and good for you.

Stayed away from alcohol for the most part except for last night. It was also my wife's bday dinner. Last night dinner was my cheat meal for the week and I had 2 glasses of nice Frank Chardonnay imported from Italy before eating ( one would have been ok, but hey, vacation??). Appetizer was a yummy beet salad. Main entree was some nut encrusted Ono fish. Dessert ( my cheat) was 1/2 of a gooey chocolate macadamia cookie. OMG - I died and went to heaven with that ( have not eaten a dessert is many many months). However, I do have to say it was not all good. The alcohol and sugar knocked me out on the car ride back to the hotel and my body was giving me hell until I went to bed. Felt fine in the morning, but a little bloated.

Overall, I made some incredible changes in my physique just from this one week of transformation program. Wow. It is very doable. I am looking forward to what the rest of the transformation brings. The program, as you can see from my exercise log, is not that hard. I am only spending about 1 hour in the gym, maybe a little less.

Good luck everyone!! Do share your progress so far if you like.

Wednesday I did level one of Jillian Michaels ripped in 30

Thursday I rested my body was in so much pain but did walk the mall.

Friday, level 2 ripped in 30

Saturday Jillian Michaels ab workout

Tonight I'm going to do lower body

Thank you so much for starting this! I already feel stronger!

For sure Nicole. Your Jillian workouts sound like just the right program for you. Great things are going to come out of these 12 weeks. I am positive about that!

Hey! I'm a week late to the party, but after a lot of consideration I decided to do it! I was leery of starting any sort of challenge because it's the last two weeks of the school year. I wanted to make sure that I was ready to make a serious commitment. I'm trying to avoid falling off the wagon. Lol! I'm so busy avoiding falling off that I never really get on. :(

I'm happy with where my weight is, but I am a weakling! I'm also embarrassed about how bad my eating is. I justify a lot of the carbs with the runner excuse. It's easy to do. It MUST stop.

I thought a lot about creating goals. I don't know what it achievable in regards to inches or weight loss, so I decided that I would set a general goal to commit to the 12 weeks. I will be happy with whatever my results are. I took my pics and measurements. I'm hoping that I will see a change with my abdominal area- I'm so flabby with excess skin.

I am going to follow Fiddleman's example more or less with a couple tweaks:

35 years old

5'3"

129 lbs pre transformation (as of today) ;)

Married with 2 children, 4 dogs, 2 horses, 1 sheep

Physical goals:

I plan on continuing with my "training" (preparation for trail halves and a tri). I am also going to start P90X (borrowing it from a friend). I need a video or something to provide guidance with strength/resistance training. I can't afford a PT, nor an additional membership. I'd rather spend my money on running events. :)

food goal:

I will cut Protein bars and other items that are high in sugar. No more sweets, crackers, chips, or other junk food. I will try to avoid processed foods and stick to lean Protein, veggies, and fruit.< /p>

Thanks for the challenge Fiddleman!

LOL I dont have time for all of that.. Im lucky to get to the gym 2-3x a week.. but then again.. im down 93lbs.. so not really worried there.. I do have a trainer at the gym.. he is getting ready to bump up my program.. Im only doing cardio right now per my doc... but I work 2 full time jobs... 80hrs a week.. so not a lot of time for much of anything.. but im doing great I think :)

You are welcome Danyelle! I am honored and humbled you decided to join the challenge. It will not only yield awesome results and help us make desired lifestyle changes, but will also be a lot of fun. I hope this thread can keep everyone motivated and challenged during the 12 weeks.

Transformation is something that may interest some veterans who are done with the weight loss phase of VSG. Losing weight is the beginning of the transformation process to become a beacon of health and radiant energy for yourself and those around you.

The strength-for-life program includes a base camp phase that is 12 days long. It is important to do this base camp phase before starting the 12 week program in order to set your body up for success. During this time' date=' you focus on rebooting your body.

Essentially,

1. Eat lean, clean and green

2. Drink Water in abundance (no alcohol, sugary drinks, energy drinks, etc, just water)

3. sleep at least 7-8 hours of restful sleep a night

4. Have an attitude of gratitude

5. Recharge with the base camp training plan [/quote']

Sounds good so far. The attitude is one I should work on anyhow. I eat clean and green (NOT lean) for the most part anyhow, but I can still clean it up more. I def need to cut sugar and alcohol out for a while.

The base camp training plan is essentially Training 3 days a week with body weight movements. Do 3 sets of 3 different exercises' date=' pausing for 30 seconds between each set.

Monday: 15-20 reps of push-ups. 3 sets.

Wednesday: 15-20 air squats or lunges. 3 sets.

Friday: 12-15 ab crunches. 3 sets.[/quote']

Can I do girl push-ups? I'm not really able (yet?) to do the full leg ones. Also, what are air squats and lunges? Should I not do ANY other things I normally do at the gym?

Here is where I would like to propose a transformation challenge. The challenge will be 12 weeks long and success is defined by achieving a set of clearly defined goals. Make sure the goals are as personal as possible and link them to your feelings.

Create 2 physical goals and one inner strength goal.

For me' date=' I am :

37 years old

5'11"

188 lbs pre transformation (as of yesterday)

Married with no children, a dog, 3 cats and currently provide a place for my brother.

Physical goals:

I will lose 15 pounds of fat, gain 5 pounds of lean muscle and lose 2 inches around my waist by September 1st. I have high energy and soaring confidence.

Mental/emotional goal:

I will have positive energy to share with my wife and brother. We enjoy 1 family activity a week that is not centered around the tv. I will read 2 leadership books and hire a business coach to strengthen my career by September 1st.[/quote']

Okay. I am...

40-something, married, two dogs

Weight is 69-72 kg which is how far I swing up and down, and 168 cm tall - so roughly 5'6 and 150-ish lb. I measure everything in metrics and can't promise I will convert back to imperial throughout tho. ;-)

I will measure weight, heart rate and blood pressure, but likely not body fat % or cholesterol, as I don't have a medical need for those and don't want to pay for them myself.

My physical goal will be to lose 5 kg and gain better upper body strength.

My mental goal is to have a clear idea of where I want to go next in my career. I will also have a biz coach to help with this.

Take weekly photos : front' date=' back and from each profile. Shoot the photos in the same position and location, wearing the same clothes. At the end of the 12 weeks, you will literally be able to see the transformation from week to week.

During the transformation, consider the following eating guidelines:

1. Shoot for macronutrient balance, eating lean Protein first.

2. Eat 5-6 x a day, keeping each meal small.

3. Avoid sugar and alcohol

4. Eat your Omega 3s. These really help with inflammation.

5. Get more Vitamin d either as a supplement or being in the sun

6. Eat organically[/quote']

No probs with most of those, tho I will likely eat only 3-4 times per day and not too lean. I don't eat wheat or other grains, nor legumes. I will cut the sugar and alcohol for sure - after this holiday I've been on, both are definitely in order!!

During the transformation' date=' consider the following strength training guidelines:

1. Monday - Upper body push (chest, shoulders, triceps and biceps)

2. Tuesday- HIIT and abs

3. Wednesday- lower body / legs ( quads, hamstrings and calves)

4. Thursday - upper body pull (back, rear delts, triceps, biceps)

5. Friday - HIIT and abs

6.saturday - circuit (strength, stamina, stretch)

7. Day off - recover and rejuvenate

Train strong and not long.

1. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday should last 33 minutes to 44 minutes

2. Tuesday and Thursday HIIT would be 20 minutes

3. Saturday circuit should be 20 minutes followed by 8-12 minutes of stretching

The strength workouts should be no longer then 4 sets:

Set 1: 12 reps

Set 2: 10 reps

Set 3: 8 reps

Set 4: 8+ reps

For example,

I will be using a pair of dumbbells at home to complete the strength training

Try and be very focused during the strength training. It is the focus that is going to help the most with achieving the transformation. Be progressive and increase the weight from week to week. Make every rep count. Make them super high quality.

HIIT training is far more effective then long cardio training at steady state.

1. Start with 3 minute warm up

2. First interval is 60 seconds at high intensity

3. Second interval is 60 seconds at lower intensity (catch your breath)

4. Repeat 2) and 3) for 18 minutes. No more.

5. Cool down for 2 minutes

For example,

I will be using cross fit training with a PT to complete the HIIT workouts.

On the 7th day, it is a rest day both nutritionally and physically. If you want to eat more calories or have that treat, this is the day to do it before diving into the next week. Each week should be programmatically the same, but should also increase in intensity.

It is important to keep a diary of your training during this 12 week challenge. This will help you with keeping on the program and motivation.

After the 12 week transformation challenge, you will be in a position of strength to set new goals and achieve them.

Good luck everyone![/quote']

I might moderate this a bit to fit my situation, but it sounds good. I can only get to the gym three days a week, plus I'm still on the tail end of rehabbing a back injury. I also don't use a car (or public transport really either), so I walk a lot. I never know how to account for this.

I didn't see anything about coffee on that food list, so I'm going to assume I needn't get wound up about having to give that up... ;-)

I wish I was sleeved already :( . I would totally jump in on this band wagon