Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 week Transformation challenge for vets

Ok I really need to kick my a** and Start tomorrow however can we drink premium Proteins and peanuts. Oh and what about the Quest bars. Can't wait. :)

Also, what are air squats and lunges?

Squat: stand shoulder with the part (in other words, your feet should be aligned with your shoulders, if not slightly wider) with your toes pointed slightly outward. "Squat" down into a standing sitting position. Your back will naturally angle itself forward, just make sure to keep it straight. Most of your weight is transferred to your heels and you should not go into a sitting position that is less than a 90 degree angle. Once you get into your standing sitting position, stand right back up and repeat 10-15 times to complete 1 set. Rest and repeat the set two more times--again, resting in between each set. Make sure to complete each squat slowly, keeping to good form. Do not use momentum so that you can utilize your muscles more. This exercise primarily works your quads (front of your thighs) and your gluteus (your arse!); secondary, your hamstrings (back of your thighs). To tighten your arse muscles a little bit more, give them a good squeeze when you rise back up into your original standing position (this might be a horrible analogy, but what the heck: pretend that you have a $1 million dollars bill between your cheeks and you have to squeeze them real tight so that you won't lose it!).

If you google "how to do a squat" you will find plenty of images and videos to help you.

Lunge: start in a standing position with both feet together. Then step forward and drop your knee (the one that did not step forward) towards the ground (without your knee touching the ground). The knee that steped forward should be bent at a 90 degree angle (do NOT allow your knee to surpass your toes! Bad for knee/joint health). Stand back into your original standing position and repeat movement with the other leg. This works out the same muscles as the squat. To target you abductors and adductors (inner and outer thighs), then step out in an outward angle.

Google "how to do a lounge" for a better visual.

Hope this helps!

Swizzley, sounds like you are ready to do this! Excellent to have another challenger. coffee should be ok, just do not overdo it. Cheers!

THIS IS AWESOME....weighed in at 193 this morning!!! Lost 1.5 last week. :) This weekend I managed to eat well despite a big family get together and make time for exercise. Still doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution - Still on Phase 1: Monday workout 1, Tuesday workout 2, Wednesday cardio, Thursday workout 1, Friday workout 2, Saturday - cardio, Sunday rest day from Jillian but went for a walk with my family. ALSO, I purchased a fitness monitor (a Polar FT7) that calculates calories burned based on your heart rate and weight. It's wonderful to know what you are actually burning through exercise to be able to track it. The worst part about this whole thing is just getting started, after that, easy easy (and pretty fun!)

Oh man. I can't do a push-up yet. I"ll keep trying!

Congratulations Hoosier! I gained 3 pounds but that's ok, I'm not going to give up! And I'm not going to step on that scale for a while, just measure. I haven't really worked out since I was sleeved 6 months ago and I've got major flab going on!

Nicole- great first week and keep at it! Results may take some time (see my description of the phases above), but are going to be worth it many times over.

The key to success on this 12 week program is always to be hitting peaks in your weight sets or your HIIT cardio with laser like focus. Never settle for repetition or boredom. Push yourself with each rep. Challenge yourself. Make the mind body connection at the peak of each rep. It will be hard, but rewarding. This requires each week to be a step up from the previous week as you get stronger both physically and mentally. Workouts will generally be much shorter then what you are used to or have seen others do, but much more effective.

Just a repeat of what you probably already know: gaining weight when first working out with weights is quite natural as muscle weighs more then fat and muscles need an ample supply of Water to support growth. Your size will be smaller though as your stored fat is converted to glycogen for those muscles. Be sure to drink enough Water to support muscle growth and removal of waste.

Oh man. I can't do a push-up yet. I"ll keep trying!

YET! You keep trying and you will be able to! A few weeks ago, I could barely finish the workout....now I am able to do the whole thing! You don't have to be perfect, just a little better than yesterday (new mantra...smile)!

Congratulations Hoosier! I gained 3 pounds but that's ok, I'm not going to give up! And I'm not going to step on that scale for a while, just measure. I haven't really worked out since I was sleeved 6 months ago and I've got major flab going on!

Your attitude will get you thru...what is it they say 'weight loss is mathematical, not magical'....you keep it up and it will come off. This is super fun to share all this with you guys!

THIS IS AWESOME....weighed in at 193 this morning!!! Lost 1.5 last week. :) This weekend I managed to eat well despite a big family get together and make time for exercise. Still doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution - Still on Phase 1: Monday workout 1' date=' Tuesday workout 2, Wednesday cardio, Thursday workout 1, Friday workout 2, Saturday - cardio, Sunday rest day from Jillian but went for a walk with my family. ALSO, I purchased a fitness monitor (a Polar FT7) that calculates calories burned based on your heart rate and weight. It's wonderful to know what you are actually burning through exercise to be able to track it. The worst part about this whole thing is just getting started, after that, easy easy (and pretty fun!)[/quote']

Wtg! That's inspiring! Congrats.

I'm on day two and I feel like shizat. :( I have the classic diet blues. Detoxing from crap is not my friend. I know it will get better. I'm thankful to everyone that is posting about their experiences. It keeps me motivated! Thank u all.

Congratulations Hoosier! I gained 3 pounds but that's ok' date=' I'm not going to give up! And I'm not going to step on that scale for a while, just measure. I haven't really worked out since I was sleeved 6 months ago and I've got major flab going on![/quote']

Love ur positivity!! Thank u for posting. Ur post is inspiring. I'm not going to give up either!

Wtg! That's inspiring! Congrats.

I'm on day two and I feel like shizat. :( I have the classic diet blues. Detoxing from crap is not my friend. I know it will get better. I'm thankful to everyone that is posting about their experiences. It keeps me motivated! Thank u all.

Oh yeah...the worst part is getting started! Hope you are feeling better tomorrow. Getting off the crap food is no fun. Day 3 is usually better.

Oh yeah...the worst part is getting started! Hope you are feeling better tomorrow. Getting off the crap food is no fun. Day 3 is usually better.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been doing well with staying on my eating plan, but today I STRUGGLED through my morning run. I felt dizzy and slow. I'm sticking with it tho. :) I decided that I'd give myself two weeks. Day 3 out of 14 is done! Woot! Woot! Btw- I noticed that I was actually hot today. This is super weird because I'm always cold. I think my body is trying to adjust.

I hope that u and everyone else is doing well with the 12 week challenge.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been doing well with staying on my eating plan' date=' but today I STRUGGLED through my morning run. I felt dizzy and slow. I'm sticking with it tho. :) I decided that I'd give myself two weeks. Day 3 out of 14 is done! Woot! Woot! Btw- I noticed that I was actually hot today. This is super weird because I'm always cold. I think my body is trying to adjust.

I hope that u and everyone else is doing well with the 12 week challenge.[/quote']

You are a winner; I know you are from all your running victory medals. You are a champion!!

if you are getting dizzy, you could trying eating more good carb food that is healthy like bananas / Peanut Butter or those energy squares from nuts.com. Those work REALLY well for giving me sustained energy through both running and strength training. I am not sure what you were eating before your running, before starting this 12 week challenge. Try to ramp up the good carbs and fats. You probably are very well aware of this suggestion being such a long term vet. Slap me with a wet noodle if you feel I am just stating the obvious. Of course, you want to be drinking a ton of Water and only Water, all the time (except while sleeping that is). Flush all the toxic stuff out of your body. Giving up sugar will be hard, but I know you can do it. Just stick with it and know the pains are short lived where the gains are going to be very long lived.

These 12 weeks will be hard! Don't give up, push though it. :) Everyone will have their own version of the program modeled after the guidelines above, but I know if you make it through 12 weeks, you will be strong both mentally and physically. The real mind blowing success will become very apparent in the last phase when you will constantly be "in the zone" and every physical exercise will seem easier and enjoyable. You will love it!

We are all in this together and will find strength in the success of each other.

I had to take the day off from exercise. I hurt my hip and if I move my thigh up it hurts. Any suggestions on fast healing? I hope it's better by tomorrow. I should be getting my yoga dvd in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully I can at least do that!