Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 week Transformation challenge for vets

I had to take the day off from exercise. I hurt my hip and if I move my thigh up it hurts. Any suggestions on fast healing? I hope it's better by tomorrow. I should be getting my yoga dvd in the mail tomorrow' date=' so hopefully I can at least do that![/quote']

I used to hurt my left hip / butt muscles all the time from running. Still do sometimes.

Yoga stretching helped a lot:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hip+stretches+yoga&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VUacUfj5IKGFyQGB3YHQAw&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=768&bih=929

Specifically try the seated hip stretch:

http://yoga.about.com/od/yogasequences/ss/seatedhips.htm

I found pushing down on the inside of the legs while holding this pose really gives the how inner thigh and hip flexors a good stretch. Releases some endorphins too! Mmmmmm. :)

You might also try the yoga stretches where the models are on their back, grabbing their opposite knee and pulling it to stretch the hip flexor that is injured or tight. I have found a few of these to be quite helpful to perform before and after a run, even if the running is only part of a warm up.

Spending some time on a roller will help open up the hip flexors and give you some relief. This really helps me whoever I get tight in my hip flexors from running. There are several really good rollers on the market. Both the rumble roller and PTTherapy roller stand out as good contenders. I own the PTTherapy roller and absolutely love it for helping me stay nimble all over, but especially in IT bands, hip and back. It is helping to straighten my back posture which is so much more comfortable then the curvature I used to have from 25 years of desk work (including schooling and career).

Finally think about application of heat and cold. Start with a Hot bath with epson salt to help loosen up the muscles. Therms are heat pads always help my back feel better when it starts acting up. Not sure if you can get a thermacare for around your hip, but maybe you can reposition a back one at mid level. I am always putting the lower back ones around my shoulder blade area where it really helps with achiness.

Also consider RICE technique as it is usually good for recovering from injuries over a few days. Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate.

One or more of these suggestions should help you. I am no expert so just take it as a set of suggestions from one VST member to another. They work for me.

Hope you feel better soon!

It's better today! I will use these suggestions for the future! Thanks! Tuesday will be my rest day instead of Sunday. Tonight I'm going to try jillians No Trouble Zones. It's 50 minutes long! Hope I make it. Will report back!

Just got an email that my DVDs won't be in until tomorrow :( I was so excited! I guess I'll do Ripped in 30 and my goal is to NOT STOP! Not even for one second!

Good attitude on the ripped! Better then me. Bob Harpers "Inside out" is an hour and I am current only 30 minutes through before running out of steam. It is hard!! My goal is to be able to get through an hour of it with 15 lb weights. Currently I am using 10 lb weights. Whew!

Ok well, I did have to stop but didn't miss a single workout. I stopped for about 20 seconds total. I did more than I've ever done and for that, I'm thrilled! Those damn running mans got me!

Great job Nicole. Thanks for posting. It is nice to hear about your success.

You are a winner; I know you are from all your running victory medals. You are a champion!!

if you are getting dizzy' date=' you could trying eating more good carb food that is healthy like bananas / Peanut Butter or those energy squares from nuts.com. Those work REALLY well for giving me sustained energy through both running and strength training. I am not sure what you were eating before your running, before starting this 12 week challenge. Try to ramp up the good carbs and fats. You probably are very well aware of this suggestion being such a long term vet. Slap me with a wet noodle if you feel I am just stating the obvious. Of course, you want to be drinking a ton of Water and only Water, all the time (except while sleeping that is). Flush all the toxic stuff out of your body. Giving up sugar will be hard, but I know you can do it. Just stick with it and know the pains are short lived where the gains are going to be very long lived.

These 12 weeks will be hard! Don't give up, push though it. :) Everyone will have their own version of the program modeled after the guidelines above, but I know if you make it through 12 weeks, you will be strong both mentally and physically. The real mind blowing success will become very apparent in the last phase when you will constantly be "in the zone" and every physical exercise will seem easier and enjoyable. You will love it!

We are all in this together and will find strength in the success of each other.[/quote']

Aw, thanks Fiddleman. U always contribute so positively to VST. The wet noodle slap cracked me up! ;) yes, I'm eating fruits and veggies. I'm also getting at least one serving of grain (half a whole wheat English muffin, one slice of whole wheat toast, corn tortilla, etc). My Protein is at an all time high. I met my water target 2 of 3 days (today is still in progress). I know something's going on with my body. Yesterday I was burning up and I was STARVING all day long. I'm hoping I feel better during tomorrow mornings run. I am supposed to do 5 miles of intervals. I always eat before running, so that's not an issue. I'm holding out for things to right themselves eventually. And I know that ill feel like a million bucks at the end of 12 weeks. :)

Thanks again!

Ok well' date=' I did have to stop but didn't miss a single workout. I stopped for about 20 seconds total. I did more than I've ever done and for that, I'm thrilled! Those damn running mans got me![/quote']

That's awesome! Ur dedication is infectious. I'm glad to hear that the hip is doing better. :)

Hey team - here is a beginning shot at the start of my transformation program.

Weight: 188 lb

Body fat %: 17

Height 5'11"

For my accountability, I will try and get photos taken at the beginning of each phase as described above.

[removed photos- going to take better photos]

My goals are listed above, but from a vanity perspective I am after an athletic build: triangle upper body, well defined abs, arms, chest and back.

It took me a while to convince myself to do shirtless photos this morning. Hope they are not too scary (should I use he "no no"for men product????). Lol. What the heck - now I am committed. No turning back I am working on getting more toned almost every day even if the photos are not very indicative of it - I swear!! It s slow progress though. That is why I wanted to start this challenge in order to help everyone (including myself) get motivated about getting strong. Need some motivation from others! Some validation that I am not breaking mirrors with these photos!!

How are you guys doing this week so far?

Great job, Fiddleman!!! How much weight have you lost total? You have no loose skin? This morning I am down 4 pounds! I can't believe I have 17 more pounds to be under 200! I bought some new clothes for work yesterday because everything I have is to big!

180 total lost so far from my heaviest. Started at 360 in May 2012 (335 in July 2nd 2012- day of surgery), down to 178 in February ( month 7) and now back at 188 today. No loose skin really which I believe came from running and strength training after month 5. I am thinking about using some fat burner advertised in men's fitness to try and get the muscles to show more definition. Other photos from recent VST posters are motivating me to get muscle definition, maybe I should eat above my TDEE (still eating 400-500 cal under my TDEE of 2150). I just don't want to put on weight that is not lean muscle. It takes ALOT of work to even eat the calories I eat daily now (1400-1700) when focusing on lean meat and veggies with some good carbs and fats.

Yea, I'd be way too scared to eat that many calories! Plus, it'd be near impossible!

I got my DVDs today!!! I was so excited and did Exhale's 30 Day Sculpt. It is 30 different yoga workouts that are 20 minutes long. I expected it to be calm and easy! Wrong! I was sweating like crazy! But I got through the whole thing!

After I put the kids to bed I'm going to do Jillian's No Trouble Zones. Will report back! Hope I'm not annoying y'all with my updates, I'm just too excited! Happy transforming!

Nope - not annoying Nicole. Thanks for posting. That is super exciting to read about your progress.

180 total lost so far from my heaviest. Started at 360 in May 2012 (335 in July 2nd 2012- day of surgery), down to 178 in February ( month 7) and now back at 188 today. No loose skin really which I believe came from running and strength training after month 5. I am thinking about using some fat burner advertised in men's fitness to try and get the muscles to show more definition. Other photos from recent VST posters are motivating me to get muscle definition, maybe I should eat above my TDEE (still eating 400-500 cal under my TDEE of 2150). I just don't want to put on weight that is not lean muscle. It takes ALOT of work to even eat the calories I eat daily now (1400-1700) when focusing on lean meat and veggies with some good carbs and fats.

I would love to join but I need to gain weight. I see you gained 10 lbs, how does one do that in a healthy way? At 6 mos I was on maintenance and I am struggling to get in 1000 calories a day. I've only been doing spot training, arms, stomach and thighs. I can eat 3 oz of fish or chicken and 1/2 cup quinoa. I am also lactose intolerant (after the surgery) so I have a hard time thinking of good high protien food that has lots of calories! Any suggestions? Also is it too late to join?