Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice on hair loss! Please help

I'm 19 years old and for some reason I already have extremely thin hair. I'm not sure why, it isn't that bad I guess, it's at a point where I deal with it but I'm obviously not happy about. It usually isn't that bad the day I shower but the day after once some grease gets too it you can see my scalp if flipped a certain way or if I wear it up I will have lines of baldness that I usually brush over. It's defiantly already one of my biggest insecurities. I'm getting the sleeve next week on the 14th of may. Now I've done my research but Hair loss never really was talked about. It was mentioned but I just figured a few couple of strands, nothing major. I was reading "Weight Loss Surgeries for Dumbies" and it talked about it and I got really emotional. I went online and read so many stories of people loosing up to 50% of their hair and it scares me so much. My mom just bought me some products, one is a pill with biotine but the fact that I'm only a week away from surgery doesn't quite help since I won't be able to continue it after. I know it grows back after a while but for some reason I can't get over loosing even 30% of my hair because with the amount of hair I already have, that wont leave me with much at all. Maybe I need encouragement or someone who already had thin hair to begin with to tell me their experience or even some positive vibes sent my way because this is the only thing holding me back right now :-) thanks so much

I am sorry I have have not expranced that issue, but as far as the biotine yes you can still take it after the surgery, small pills are ok and I use the biotine my self just a incase issue

You may not be eating enough Protein now and you will definitely need to focus on getting your Protein requirements after surgery. hair loss can be caused by many things, hormonal imbalance, stress, genetics, alopecia, so perhaps you should seek medical advice about it. I haven't experienced any Hair loss and am almost 10 weeks post-op.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4

Hair loss starts about 4 months out.. It will something your surgeon should talk to you about. Even when doing everything right it will happen to some extent. It does come back though I'm almost six months and it has slowed down! I know some girls around here use hair fibers for the short term loss, its called xfusion.

I am 8 months out and I have always had very very thin hair. At 5 months out, I did start losing lots of hair BUT although it was noticable to me, no one else noticed, not even my husband. I used Biotin sublingual tablets that dissolve under my tongue every day, I tried my best to make sure that I ate all my Protein each day and I started using Garnier Fructis Fall fight Biotin Shampoo and conditioner per a suggestion from someone on the board here. It really did help. At 7 months my hair has stopped falling out and I have new hair growing in. My dr said that if I lost a ton of hair that he was going to take a pic because out of everyone of his 500 vertical sleeve patients that I would have been the first. Anyway, your body will be changing so much and you will hopefully happy with the progress that although the Hair loss might concern you at first, you will find that it is sooooo worth it! Hope things go well for you!.

I am 8 months out and I have always had very very thin hair. At 5 months out' date=' I did start losing lots of hair BUT although it was noticable to me, no one else noticed, not even my husband. I used Biotin sublingual tablets that dissolve under my tongue every day, I tried my best to make sure that I ate all my Protein each day and I started using Garnier Fructis Fall fight Biotin Shampoo and conditioner per a suggestion from someone on the board here. It really did help. At 7 months my hair has stopped falling out and I have new hair growing in. My dr said that if I lost a ton of hair that he was going to take a pic because out of everyone of his 500 vertical sleeve patients that I would have been the first. Anyway, your body will be changing so much and you will hopefully happy with the progress that although the Hair loss might concern you at first, you will find that it is sooooo worth it! Hope things go well for you!.[/quote']

You just made me tear up haha thank you that made me feel a lot better. I'm so worried but I know the out come of the surgery will make me so happy. It just sucks because my friends already say "wow you have thin hair" I'm just scared to see it get even worse even if its only for a short amount of time.

I'm 19 years old and for some reason I already have extremely thin hair. I'm not sure why' date=' it isn't that bad I guess, it's at a point where I deal with it but I'm obviously not happy about. It usually isn't that bad the day I shower but the day after once some grease gets too it you can see my scalp if flipped a certain way or if I wear it up I will have lines of baldness that I usually brush over. It's defiantly already one of my biggest insecurities. I'm getting the sleeve next week on the 14th of may. Now I've done my research but Hair loss never really was talked about. It was mentioned but I just figured a few couple of strands, nothing major. I was reading "Weight Loss Surgeries for Dumbies" and it talked about it and I got really emotional. I went online and read so many stories of people loosing up to 50% of their hair and it scares me so much. My mom just bought me some products, one is a pill with biotine but the fact that I'm only a week away from surgery doesn't quite help since I won't be able to continue it after. I know it grows back after a while but for some reason I can't get over loosing even 30% of my hair because with the amount of hair I already have, that wont leave me with much at all. Maybe I need encouragement or someone who already had thin hair to begin with to tell me their experience or even some positive vibes sent my way because this is the only thing holding me back right now :-) thanks so much[/quote']

I have not started losing hair yet since I am only 7 weeks out from surgery, but I am sure it will come. I am 32 and have hereditary alopecia. My hair is so thin you can already see my scalp ( I am about a III on the Woman's Hair Loss Scale) and the normal hair treatments/vitamins have never worked for me. Right now I use a product called "Great Hair Day" by Joan Rivers. It's a powder you brush on to the scalp and it really works well. I have accepted the fact that I will need to buy a wig once the hair shed phase begins. This side effect was my biggest negative when trying to decide if I was going to have this surgery. Although everyone says it is temporary, I am not sure how temporary it really will be on someone with existing alopecia. Since you are so young I am sure you won't have any long term issues. Hair fibers or the scalp powder will probably to trick for you. If you would like to know/see how the loss progresses with someone with already substantially reduced hair goes, I will be happy to give you updates. In the end, I would rather wear a wig or a hairpiece but be thin, off my meds and able to have a baby one day.

Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I have not started losing hair yet since I am only 7 weeks out from surgery' date=' but I am sure it will come. I am 32 and have hereditary alopecia. My hair is so thin you can already see my scalp ( I am about a III on the Woman's Hair loss Scale) and the normal hair treatments/vitamins have never worked for me. Right now I use a product called "Great Hair Day" by Joan Rivers. It's a powder you brush on to the scalp and it really works well. I have accepted the fact that I will need to buy a wig once the hair shed phase begins. This side effect was my biggest negative when trying to decide if I was going to have this surgery. Although everyone says it is temporary, I am not sure how temporary it really will be on someone with existing alopecia. Since you are so young I am sure you won't have any long term issues. Hair fibers or the scalp powder will probably to trick for you. If you would like to know/see how the loss progresses with someone with already substantially reduced hair goes, I will be happy to give you updates. In the end, I would rather wear a wig or a hairpiece but be thin, off my meds and able to have a baby one day.

Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

Thank you that helps so much, seriously. I give you credit for already dealing alopecia and continuing but you are so right, I know I'm going to be happy in the long run its just really freaking me out! But good luck to you as well and thank you so much

I did lose hair from about 3 to 6 months out. I am now almost 2 years out, and my hair is back to normal.

I did a number of things to help minimize the Hair loss.

• I took Biotine (7500 mg) daily
  • I talked to my hair stylist who recommended a number of things
  • I washed my hair every other day since I lost the most hair when washing/drying/combing wet hair
  • I didn't color my hair for a year; although coloring is fine to do, I decided not to do it when my hair was at its weakest
  • I worked with my stylist to minimize the thinning -- when my hair was longer, the thinning was easier to spot, so I shortened my hair more than normal to hide the thinning
  • She recommended a special Shampoo and conditioner, but I never felt I needed it

My hair is naturally thick. My mother-in-law's hair is naturally thin, and she is in the hair loss phase right now. She had surgery in October. She uses hair pieces to help supplement her natural hair. She got this great ponytail with hair attached that she puts in her hair, and it looks great.

I'm just so nervous being only 19, it's seriously making me cry every time I think about it. I don't know what to do, I just can't picture my hair as already thin as it is getting even thinner :-(

I didn't stress over my hair because I was so happy with everything else.

My MIL probably has the thinnest hair of anyone I know. She gets a lot of compliments on her hair when she uses one of those hair pieces. They are pretty easy to find, and it seems everyone is using them. I know that Kelly Ripa removed hers on television a couple of months ago.

I didn't stress over my hair because I was so happy with everything else.

My MIL probably has the thinnest hair of anyone I know. She gets a lot of compliments on her hair when she uses one of those hair pieces. They are pretty easy to find' date=' and it seems everyone is using them. I know that Kelly Ripa removed hers on television a couple of months ago.[/quote']

Yea I am trying to stay positive but for some reason this thought of losing my hair is such a big deal to me. I want this surgery so bad and I have been preparing for a year but of course a week before and this is all I can think about. To the point where it is actually making me doubtful. Thank you for the positivity though I really do appreciate it

My boss has naturally thin hair and uses Ovation hair therapy and swears by it.

I'm almost five months out and knew I'd lose hair so I'm ok with it because I've got very thick hair. What's funny is since I've been losing I've had two different strangers stop and tell me how beautiful my hair is?!! I'm beginning to wonder if my normal hair sucks or something.. Go figure!

I think your obsessing about the hair-loss may be a symptom of anxiety about the surgery. This is a big deal and you are allowed to be scared. Once this surgery is done there's no going back because you body has been changed forever. Please ask yourself if, deep down, you are truly ready to do this. If you realize that maybe you aren't ready then don't do it. If you are ready then, awesome! Your hair will get thinner but so will the rest of you!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4

I'm 19 years old and for some reason I already have extremely thin hair. I'm not sure why' date=' it isn't that bad I guess, it's at a point where I deal with it but I'm obviously not happy about. It usually isn't that bad the day I shower but the day after once some grease gets too it you can see my scalp if flipped a certain way or if I wear it up I will have lines of baldness that I usually brush over. It's defiantly already one of my biggest insecurities. I'm getting the sleeve next week on the 14th of may. Now I've done my research but Hair loss never really was talked about. It was mentioned but I just figured a few couple of strands, nothing major. I was reading "Weight Loss Surgeries for Dumbies" and it talked about it and I got really emotional. I went online and read so many stories of people loosing up to 50% of their hair and it scares me so much. My mom just bought me some products, one is a pill with biotine but the fact that I'm only a week away from surgery doesn't quite help since I won't be able to continue it after. I know it grows back after a while but for some reason I can't get over loosing even 30% of my hair because with the amount of hair I already have, that wont leave me with much at all. Maybe I need encouragement or someone who already had thin hair to begin with to tell me their experience or even some positive vibes sent my way because this is the only thing holding me back right now :-) thanks so much[/quote']

Biotin is very good. I have not had my surgery yet and I'm on it now. It has really help my hair already so try the Biotin pills