Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im a wimp! Getting scared of how much pain to expect!

my surgery is either the 14 or the 21st will know tomorrow! And my nerves r starting to kick in big time!

I'm a mother of 5, four of them r under 4 and I'm so scared of the initial pain and recovery time!

Please post with your experience please!

Pain was hardly bad at all! They send you home with great pain meds, but I could have gotten by without them. The biggest hurdle in the recouperation process is that you'll be pretty tired the first week. Also, I had some off-and-on bouts of nausea - I got car sick every time I rode in the car, even if I was driving! But that all passed after the first week. I was pretty fortunate that my husband was around to help out for that first week - he took care of the kids and the cooking, etc. He had also planned to be home the second week in case I needed him, but I was fine. They get you up and moving pretty fast post-op. Just take a nap when the kids do! Don't be shy to take the pain meds if you need them, but really, the pain is nothing to worry about!

I'm 5 days post op! I will be honest the worst day was surgery day. After 3 hrs post op you get up and walk. Walk, walk, walk!!!! That helps with the gas in abdomen! However, day 2 and 3 are better but still very tired and sore. Day 4 yesterday I walked a mile!! No lie! Just keep positive and stay focused on the goal and you will pull through. Ill keep you in my prayers! I too am a mother of 2 and I am 39 years old! Good luck! Can't figure out how to put up my profile pic from my iPhone?

My advice walk and use a pillow up against your stomach when you move...just don't over do it. The pain is bad the first couple of days or so, but then it subsides. The more you walk, the better off you will be. Best of luck to you.

I didn't really have any pain. My stomach was just sore. That's all. :)

I'm going to be honest but don't want to scare you. I didn't have pain the way I thought I would. My actual incisions were what hurt. Not awful but pretty uncomfortable. Plus being in the hospital made me so tired. I was sleeved on a Wednesday, out of the hospital on Friday and was pretty run down on Saturday. By Sunday I was much better and everyday from there was better. I also didn't take any pain med other then Tylenol. I know what your feeling as I have a 17 month old and was worried about recovery time. I am now 5.5 weeks out and feel pretty much like I did preop except quite a bit less weight! Good luck with your surgery!

Hi, I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and am feeling great!!!! It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be at all....of course the first 2 days were uncomfortable but just try and take it easy. I hope you have some help.....I dont have children so it was much easier for me. I wish you good luck and want you to know that I think this is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time.

Hang in there, Ellen

Thanks everybody! I feel better about it, I had my appendix rupture last summer, and my gallbladder at two different times last summer, night awful and just hoping its not any worse.

How many days did u all stay in hosp?

I am 12 wreks post op honestly its painful but not unbarable, I have ha a c section its equivilent to that. Pain meds dont work well with I got hydrocodone i wanna say it essentially did what a tylenol does for me nodda so for me it sucked but I promise as long as your RESTING ( being a mom myself i know how difficult that is) and sipping Water and doing some walking youll be fine the first 4 days are the worst of it.

yeah... Im worried about the pain also, especially since everytime i see a post like this it is never responded to by men... Its always women... so i wonder do men have pain??? Im sure they do, u know women are way stronger when it comes to this... but hey... I wont dwell on the pain because im gonna be so happy to be done so it wont matter.. also.. I have 9 year old triplets and a 5 year old who i take to school and pick up every day.....

There is no wimps on this page. Change your mind set. On this page are men & women of courage, heart, determination, strength. If you feel this is what you need and is necessary then do it. We are here for you. I have no regrets. I hated what I looked like but love the new me. This changed my life because unwanted it as well as needed it. I was nervous as well and that's natural. No Wimps in here. This is nothing but something else in life that u gotta handle. NOTHING BUT WINNERS IN THIS FORUM. Good Luck and stay in touch with me. Here's something for you to shoot for, look at my before and after pictures.

post-50019-13813665110724_thumb.jpg

post-50019-13813665111274_thumb.jpg

I was a Type 2 Diabetic taking 5 shots of Insulin through the stomach a day, 13 pills a day for sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. 4 months after surgery I lost 68 pounds and no longer on Insulin at all and 13 pills down to 1. ????

I am also 5 days post op and the pain is not bad at all. The gas pains was the worst of it. I have not taken any pain medications since I left the hospital!!!!