Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok just a vent. I'm really bothered by endless posts of people going against doctor's orders and/or cheating the stages. Then they look for "support" in their decision. When you try to offer actual support and discourage the bad behavior/choice all of a sudden you become the "negative" one. VSG is a tool but not the miracle cure. We need to work with our tool to make it work for us. Ignoring surgeons and nutritionists orders will only lead to some sort of failure along the road. If we knew what was best we wouldn't have needed the surgery to begin with. Why undergo such a major surgery if you're not willing to undergo the life changes associated with it?

Agree 100% in your view. By the way, there is a rave and rant forum for these type of posts.

Ok so I'm not the crazy one. Lmbo. :-)

I think it's fine to have stuff that you may like in moderation, but at least wait until you are cleared by your doctor..

Example, I am not on full solids.. Yesterday as a TREAT I had a little bit of chinese boneless spare ribs, and a 1/2 an egg roll.. I didn't come on here posting about how bad it was for me.. I KNOW it isn't the healthiest choice.. but it stayed down, didn't make me uncomfortable, and I enjoyed it.. It's not an every day meal choice..

On the other hand, if you are still on one of the post op stages, I don't feel too bad telling you it was not a smart thing to eat a bag of rolls while on liquids.. It's stupid and dangerous.. and if someone is to take offense to that, then that's not really my problem..

I'm here to help anyone who wants it.. weather it is acting as a sounding board or telling them about the experience that I went through.. I don't pretend to be a know it all, and I don't try to scold people for choices that might not be the healthiest things but are used as a treat.

Hey I totally get that. We've all had our moments. I just hate it when people start with the whole, "do what you want these doctors don't know everything" "you know your body better than they do" "it won't kill you to drink carbonation or from a straw" "I deserve this because of everything I've been doing for myself" those are all justifications for bad behavior. I don't make it a practice of scolding anyone. I just opt not to comment at all when I read these posts. But it just irritates me bc it's counterproductive and I feel it teaches people how to work around the system.

I hope you're wearing your nomex undies, because you're about to get flamed.

I don't care what people say to me on here. If they can't show enough class to excuse themselves from the conversation like I do all too often, then I guess that's a testament to their character. I don't mind being a "loser" and nerd who follows all the rules. And on the off chance I fail and break a rule I certainly won't be posting on a forum looking for cheerleaders to justify my behavior. I will humbly admit the error of my ways and move forward.

I don't quite understand the logic of pushing the envelope here. I'm too afraid to screw up my new tummy or worse end up in the emergency room, inconveniencing my family, or worse. I did this to win the battle with food, not to try to figure out how to cheat as soon as possible. I'm with you, I don't get it.

Amen sister! Why risk it? Just cause u can doesnt mean u should

Hey I totally get that. We've all had our moments. I just hate it when people start with the whole, "do what you want these doctors don't know everything" "you know your body better than they do" "it won't kill you to drink carbonation or from a straw" "I deserve this because of everything I've been doing for myself" those are all justifications for bad behavior. I don't make it a practice of scolding anyone. I just opt not to comment at all when I read these posts. But it just irritates me bc it's counterproductive and I feel it teaches people how to work around the system.

You do realize that not everyone was told everything YOU were told, I hope! Surgeons are as different as night and day sometimes. You give the example of drinking from a straw...I am allowed to drink from a straw. I asked. That's just one example. Some surgeons do not see a problem with carbonation in moderation. I highly doubt your surgeon and NUT are the messiahs of VSG. No one's are.

Also, maybe you had brain surgery while they were doing your VSG and all of your bad habits that got you to where you were magically disappeared after surgery. We aren't cured. Sometimes people slip into bad habits for a moment. I didn't lose my humanity when I had surgery. I am still a work in progress and always will be. I didn't eat popcorn a week out- I followed the phases religiously. But, *gasp* I have eaten carbs and horror of horrors, drank out of a straw. I have still managed to lose 95 lbs. Go figure.

I really don't like holier-than-thou's...

-Kendra

You do realize that not everyone was told everything YOU were told' date=' I hope! Surgeons are as different as night and day sometimes. You give the example of drinking from a straw...I am allowed to drink from a straw. I asked. That's just one example. Some surgeons do not see a problem with carbonation in moderation. I highly doubt your surgeon and NUT are the messiahs of VSG. No one's are.

Also, maybe you had brain surgery while they were doing your VSG and all of your bad habits that got you to where you were magically disappeared after surgery. We aren't cured. Sometimes people slip into bad habits for a moment. I didn't lose my humanity when I had surgery. I am still a work in progress and always will be. I didn't eat popcorn a week out- I followed the phases religiously. But, *gasp* I have eaten carbs and horror of horrors, drank out of a straw. I have still managed to lose 95 lbs. Go figure.

-Kendra[/quote']

Losing weight is only the first part of the VSG experience. Kudos to you for losing almost 100 lbs. That is amazing and is commendable. The OP is indirectly saying that new habits are needed post op in order for us to maintain that weight loss and live a healthy, fit and vital life for years and years to come. The doctors set up rules in order to help their patients succeed for the rest of their life. It is a shame when rules are not followed and/ or new habits are not formed and the said VSG person has a daily struggle 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years and longer with food. Just because they wanted to not change their relationship with eating or think the doctor does not know what he is taking about. Best case is that said VSG person gains back a small percentage of their previous weight (30%). Worse case is they gain back all lost weight and more. Becoming a rule follower is important until you can freely make good healthy decisions for your self without constantly engaging in warfare with food and the VSG lifestyle. Peace with food and way of living is what most of us are after. Best wishes to you and others.

@Lilbearzmom your attempt at sarcasm really does not speak to the true intent of the OP topic. I am on the board for accountability and sound advice. My surgeon did not tell me everything but i did have the good sense to seek out information on my own. Congrats on the 95 lb loss.

You do realize that not everyone was told everything YOU were told' date=' I hope! Surgeons are as different as night and day sometimes. You give the example of drinking from a straw...I am allowed to drink from a straw. I asked. That's just one example. Some surgeons do not see a problem with carbonation in moderation. I highly doubt your surgeon and NUT are the messiahs of VSG. No one's are.

I really don't like holier-than-thou's...

-Kendra[/quote']

Lmbo. Congrats at your 95 pound weight loss. That is quite the accomplishment indeed. You obviously missed the entire point of the post. Which is a ok with me. I'm not holier than thou. I'm not cured of all bad habits and I'm by no means perfect. I never claimed to be. It is because of my imperfections, bad habits and poor choices that I have fully surrendered myself to the guidance and direction of my nutritionists and surgeons. While meal plans, post/preop instructions can differ, I wouldn't deliberately and knowingly go against my surgeon/nutritionists instructions because I "deserved it" or "knew better". I don't know better and I don't deserve it. That mentality is what got me in this boat to begin with. I'm not saying I will instantly do everything perfectly. I'm saying I'm making a choice to hold myself accountable and be honest with myself if I do fail in some form or fashion. It's not about being perfect. It's about being disciplined, accountable and humble.

It's crazy you guys are having this discussion. I just finished watching a pre-op video by my surgeon where he said that there should be no such thing as following his pre-op and post-op instructions at 98%, only 100% - nothing less. He's a conservative surgeon, of course, but has managed to scare this sh** out of me; therefore, I'm giving this my 110% ... no joke. If it isn't on the list, I'm not going anywhere near it.