Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. I had my gastric sleeve surgery on April 15. My starting weight was 246, and I lost 6 pounds the week prior to surgery on the liquid diet and today I am 14 pounds down and in day 2 of my second week. I have to say that I was in the hospital for 5 days. I was a rock star up and walking, no pain, no nausea. Then day 2 post op I had shortness of breath and severe abdominal pain. I had a major hematoma at one of the surgical sites, but not a leak of the stomach. I had to have 3 units of blood over the course of 2 days. I left the hospital up three pounds due to fluids. I am tired, tearful, and struggling with keeping up with Protein and Water. I had my surgery in Dallas TX. I feel like my expectations set forth be my team did not have me ready for the post op experience. Before my bleed on day two, the rounding person from the team was telling me that I would be released and he just signed off on a person who had this done 2 weeks ago, for that person to run in a marathon. So after I had complications, I felt like a failure and really regretted the decision I made to have the surgery. I feel like everything I was told, has been the opposite. My doctor has been great though. Why, am I so emotional...why am I so sick of chicken broth, why do all the Protein Drinks upset my stomach??? Don't get me wrong, I knew this would be work, but I thought I would feel better. Can only get better from here...anyone else fell like me?

You went thru a lot. I had no complications and felt awful and in terrible pain for the first week. It slowly got better over time and I am almost 5 months out now. Major surgery, takes time to recover.

So sorry about what you are going through! The first few weeks are the most difficult, and any complication makes it a little rougher. I had an abscess, so I think I was really fatigued for a long time, and I was pretty miserable with the incision draining, healing, having to reopen it, and on and on for about 7 weeks. However, even with that, it did get better every day. I'm 4 months out, and things are pretty normal. I never got a sudden burst of energy, but every day I got a little stronger, my endurance improved, and things generally improved. I do have a lot of energy now, can go all day and not be tired, but it took a while. I think I had reasonable expectations, but really, nothing can fully prepare you for the unknown. Just suck it up :) , do the miserable Protein Shakes, force the sips of Water, and it will pass before you know it - really! Also - in NO WAY did you fail! You had no control over the complications. Good luck, you'll get there!

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time :( I'm still pre-op, but I believe what everyone says, it will get better. Everyone has a different experience as far as recovery. It's a shame they led you to believe that you would, without question, be close to 100% right away. It's major surgery and it should be expected that you wouldn't be 100% right away.

I just want to check for understanding though: "the rounding person from the team was telling me that I would be released and he just signed off on a person who had this done 2 weeks ago, for that person to run in a marathon."

You mean someone had a verticle sleeve gastrectomy and ran a marathon 2 weeks later?!?!?!??! wth?!?

yes that is what I was told...my second day in the hospital....but I have to say I walked 20 minutes today and although I was very tired...I was pleased I made it!

I was tired up to now 7 weeks out. So Major Surgery does take some time to recover from. Blessings

That's right! We did have our surgeries around the same time!

As for the original post, you will start feeling better. Continue to be patient with yourself & take one day at a time. You will eventually feel strong & be able to help others with your story that may also go through the same or similar situation. I wish you the best!

I'm sad you had such a scary, crummy experience and it colored your perspective on the hopeful, life changing second chance you've chosen for yourself. Everyone's emotions are squirrelly following the surgery. Your endocrine system is secreting all kinds of wacky hormones, you don't have your old med (food) to comfort you and you feel physically uncomfortable. Be easy on yourself! I am coming up on my one year anniversary (4/30), I began at 254 (like you!), I've lost 90 pounds and I am so happy with my new self. It gets better! Feel the love! Relax...take care and good luck. Also...I don't know you, but I feel led to say, "Namaste."

Oops, sorry, I thought you said you started at 254. You're that much closer to goal, starting at 246!

I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I haven't been sleeved yet myself, but I do see where it's not all roses for everyone and I want to thank you for sharing your story!

Over and over, I see people saying "the first month is a major trial." I hope that by the time I'm approved, you are on the up-bounce and can reassure others in turn!

Take care of yourself, please...

God bless you honey. So sorry you had a rough time if it. It sounds like you are very normal in feeling "bummed out". You have been through a lot. The beautiful thing is now you are on the mend and have a whole new and healthy life ahead of you with lots of new and exciting things to experience. Half the battle if getting better is a good positive attitude. You will get there. I promise!! And you have all of us to vent to. Your body has been through some major trauma and its going to take a little time to figure out what just the hell happened. Hang in there....hold your head high.....smile.....and love life!!!

Hello all. I had my gastric sleeve surgery on April 15. My starting weight was 246' date=' and I lost 6 pounds the week prior to surgery on the liquid diet and today I am 14 pounds down and in day 2 of my second week. I have to say that I was in the hospital for 5 days. I was a rock star up and walking, no pain, no nausea. Then day 2 post op I had shortness of breath and severe abdominal pain. I had a major hematoma at one of the surgical sites, but not a leak of the stomach. I had to have 3 units of blood over the course of 2 days. I left the hospital up three pounds due to fluids. I am tired, tearful, and struggling with keeping up with Protein and Water. I had my surgery in Dallas TX. I feel like my expectations set forth be my team did not have me ready for the post op experience. Before my bleed on day two, the rounding person from the team was telling me that I would be released and he just signed off on a person who had this done 2 weeks ago, for that person to run in a marathon. So after I had complications, I felt like a failure and really regretted the decision I made to have the surgery. I feel like everything I was told, has been the opposite. My doctor has been great though. Why, am I so emotional...why am I so sick of chicken broth, why do all the Protein drinks upset my stomach??? Don't get me wrong, I knew this would be work, but I thought I would feel better. Can only get better from here...anyone else fell like me?[/quote']

I'm getting the sleeve done on May 15th in Dallas , Tx . I was wonder who your doctor is?