Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Squating advice needed - Help!

I remember someone posted a link to the proper way to do squats for dead lifts (Mark?) a while back. I was not able to locate it with search.

Here is my problem: my flexibility stinks so when I try and even do air squats my natural inclination is to bend forward instead of going straight down, as is sitting in a chair. My flexibility might stink because of all the running I do. Hoping yoga will make it easier. I know how to do the squats but my body just does not want to do them very well.

Does anyone have advice on how to fix this squat flexibility issue?

I really have to self talk and focus in order to get the form close to right. Even then my butt is still not getting close to the ground. I want to get really good at this fundamental move because so many lifting and cross fit type exercises build on proper execution of the squat.

Thanks for your input!

I'm thinking this is the link that you saw. I saw it too, probably a month or two ago.

http://www.nerdfitne...-do-them-right/

I'll often take off my sneakers when doing squats because years ago I had the same problem. With squats, usually you'll want to lean back on your heals and push through them instead of the balls or front of your feet. This is especially true with deadlifts if you do that lift. Gaining proper muscle balance will help with your form. So taking off my sneakers really helped me lean back into my squats. Also, varying your stances can help, but when I go heavy, I get a little wider stance. You have a good approach though, get that form/technique down, be patient with it and later you can eventually add weight. Good luck!

You might want to watch this. It's a crossfit video on proper squat technique. The music is kinda dumb so I don't advocate watching it with the speakers turned up, but It might give you some tips on what a proper squat looks like. Shrugface is spot on. I did a lot of squats on a smith rack to get the proper technique down. Still not there, but I'll take what I can

http://www.youtube.c...&v=IewlDXTfbjU#!

Here's another

Very helpful guys!

How about doing squats while leaning against the wall? This should help with your form.

Fiddleman,I have the same problem. It helps me to watch myself sideways in the mirror so I can make sure I'm sticking my butt out and not my knees.

I haven't checked any of the articles or videos, but it all really depends on WHY you're squatting. A crossfit squat, in my own professional opinion, is the fast track to knee replacement in the future. They really over exert the reflex of the ligaments because they squat so rapidly, and so frequently. Their joints are constantly under pressure. Watching someone do 100 air squats as fast as they can, makes me cry. BUT...if you're looking for speed and agility, then faster, lighter rep squats are going to be your thing. Form? What form? No need since time under actual stress is so infrequent, but the amount of times under stress is higher. You don't have time to fall on your ass or face because you go down, and literally, bounce, which makes me knees hurt just thinking about it, right back up.

If you're looking for muscle activation, heavier weighted squats, with a slower, controlled movement to the floor and an explosive rise out of the hole provides more twitch muscle Fiber activation.

Things that solved MY squatting issues with my chest wanting to roll over and puts me basically doing a good morning with leg drive were:

• Spreading my hands farther apart on the bar, and wrapping my pinky UNDER the bar instead of over.
  • Pressing your neck in to the bar
  • Making sure you lead with your ass and knees, NOT your hips
  • Keeping balance centered through your core, from the ground going through your groin, belly button, breast plate, chin, and nose
  • Mirror squatting, which has already been suggested and is the BEST way to learn proper technique so long as you've seen proper technique and know what it looks like.
  • Wear flat soled shoes, or no shoes at all. I work up to triples at 315 with shoes, any shoe, then anything higher than that, I wear my Chucks. They provide a better grip and allow me to center my pressure points easier. My last meet I squatting in wrestling shoes and my best meet squat was achieved at 570lbs.

If you're looking for form tips, look for Dave Tate on youtube, and Jim Wendler. Check out elitefts.com as well, GREAT strength related articles and blogs. I've been published a few times on their site for deadlift and squat technique, they're legit, world class lifters and have started branching out more to general overall physical preparedness. Fiddster, I highly recommend watching Date Tate's series on youtube "So you think you can squat" and "So you think you can bench." I've worked with both Dave and Jim personally in the past, and although rough around the edges, they have a very simple zero tolerance for crap, and no bullshit policy.

Link to first SYTYCQ vid.

Enjoy my friend.

Here's another solid article. I'm trying to find the medical studies I used back in college referencing muscle activation as well, if/when I find them, I'll scan them and post them as .img files here for you to read.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../the_virtual_squat_seminar

Sorry for the multiple posts....but alas, I've found some of my old articles I used on pub med.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22373894

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22797000

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20072068

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19002072

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20182386

WARNING: These are boring, but the science is all there behind my ideas and thoughts, I hate seeing information without some sort of resource, and when it comes to squatting, I've heard it all. One client was petrified of "unhinging" their knee if they squatted ass to ground (DEEP) because some Dr. told him his knee would explode out the back of his leg and he'd never walk again (this is also common practice among trainers at 24 hour and planet fitness, it's a liability issue, not a training or kinetic issue). Yes, you CAN tear ligaments by squatting, but you can tear ligaments getting out of bed if done improperly, without warming up, and without care. Squatting is a GREAT strength building and a true complete total body workout, everything is activated.

I hope this helps at least a bit.

I haven't checked any of the articles or videos' date=' but it all really depends on WHY you're squatting. A crossfit squat, in my own professional opinion, is the fast track to knee replacement in the future. They really over exert the reflex of the ligaments because they squat so rapidly, and so frequently. Their joints are constantly under pressure. Watching someone do 100 air squats as fast as they can, makes me cry. BUT...if you're looking for speed and agility, then faster, lighter rep squats are going to be your thing. Form? What form? No need since time under actual stress is so infrequent, but the amount of times under stress is higher. You don't have time to fall on your ass or face because you go down, and literally, bounce, which makes me knees hurt just thinking about it, right back up.

If you're looking for muscle activation, heavier weighted squats, with a slower, controlled movement to the floor and an explosive rise out of the hole provides more twitch muscle Fiber activation.

Things that solved MY squatting issues with my chest wanting to roll over and puts me basically doing a good morning with leg drive were:

[*']Spreading my hands farther apart on the bar, and wrapping my pinky UNDER the bar instead of over.

[*]Pressing your neck in to the bar

[*]Making sure you lead with your ass and knees, NOT your hips

[*]Keeping balance centered through your core, from the ground going through your groin, belly button, breast plate, chin, and nose

[*]Mirror squatting, which has already been suggested and is the BEST way to learn proper technique so long as you've seen proper technique and know what it looks like.

[*]Wear flat soled shoes, or no shoes at all. I work up to triples at 315 with shoes, any shoe, then anything higher than that, I wear my Chucks. They provide a better grip and allow me to center my pressure points easier. My last meet I squatting in wrestling shoes and my best meet squat was achieved at 570lbs.

If you're looking for form tips, look for Dave Tate on youtube, and Jim Wendler. Check out elitefts.com as well, GREAT strength related articles and blogs. I've been published a few times on their site for deadlift and squat technique, they're legit, world class lifters and have started branching out more to general overall physical preparedness. Fiddster, I highly recommend watching Date Tate's series on youtube "So you think you can squat" and "So you think you can bench." I've worked with both Dave and Jim personally in the past, and although rough around the edges, they have a very simple zero tolerance for crap, and no bullshit policy.

Enjoy my friend.

Excellent! This is such good wisdom. I will have to soak in this information after work today when I can really focus on it.

You are right, my cross fit PT had me do very rapid squat sets 20 seconds per set, 5 second rest, for 12 sets. I could do 15/16 a set. This was after I completed the WOD. Phew!

Fiddleman' date='I have the same problem. It helps me to watch myself sideways in the mirror so I can make sure I'm sticking my butt out and not my knees.[/quote']

Simple yet very effective wording. I think the key phrase that resonates with me is "with my butt and not my knees". In other words " lead with the butt." I tried this several times today during my stretch breaks and yes, it really helps. I think leading with legs or knees was my fallacy. Now I can even go lower for faster sets. It helps so much 2 just do 50 of these every hour to make sitting less fatiguing. Thanks!

After getting better at squats over last couple days, I almost think there is more of an endorphin rush from properly deep executed squats then runners high.

Great euphoria after squeezing the happy juice by dipping low a couple dozen times. Love it! Puts a smile on my face.

Now I am doing these every hour or so to give my butt a break from the chair and also to free the endorphins for a much less fatiguing rest of the day.

I am now a squat junkie as bad as that sounds. Lol. Yeah, baby, shoot me up with some of that.

Try them out for yourself!

Lmao! And the really funny part is little kids can squat much better then us adults!

I haven't checked any of the articles or videos' date=' but it all really depends on WHY you're squatting. A crossfit squat, in my own professional opinion, is the fast track to knee replacement in the future. They really over exert the reflex of the ligaments because they squat so rapidly, and so frequently. Their joints are constantly under pressure. Watching someone do 100 air squats as fast as they can, makes me cry. BUT...if you're looking for speed and agility, then faster, lighter rep squats are going to be your thing. Form? What form? No need since time under actual stress is so infrequent, but the amount of times under stress is higher. You don't have time to fall on your ass or face because you go down, and literally, bounce, which makes me knees hurt just thinking about it, right back up.

[*']Spreading my hands farther apart on the bar, and wrapping my pinky UNDER the bar instead of over.

[*]Pressing your neck in to the bar

[*]Making sure you lead with your ass and knees, NOT your hips

[*]Keeping balance centered through your core, from the ground going through your groin, belly button, breast plate, chin, and nose

[*]Mirror squatting, which has already been suggested and is the BEST way to learn proper technique so long as you've seen proper technique and know what it looks like.

[*]Wear flat soled shoes, or no shoes at all. I work up to triples at 315 with shoes, any shoe, then anything higher than that, I wear my Chucks. They provide a better grip and allow me to center my pressure points easier. My last meet I squatting in wrestling shoes and my best meet squat was achieved at 570lbs.

Enjoy my friend.

I watched that series. What a great set of videos. I have got to be the worlds worst squatter. I want to do proper squats so badly but I have never been able to do them. I basically do a good morning with the bar, and I don't get anywhere close to parallel, much less below parallel. My knees come way forward and my weight end up on my toes. If I try to keep it on my heels I feel like I'm going to fall backwards. For one, I have zero glute strength and activation. But not sure how to fix it with the equipment I have. I have a squat rack and free weights but I do not have access to a glute/ham machine like they use in the video. Any thoughts?