Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op. Could I take Aleve or Motrin when needed or is it too soon? Will it upset my stomach?

I was surprised in my paperwork from leaving the hospital that they said ok to both, however I think they want it to be really short term. For pain they seem to push Tylenol.

Oh ok. Great.

I know most docs say no to Ibuprofen (motrin)...my doc prescribed it for me at about 2.5 weeks. I was having lots of pain in my left side at the incision where they removed the stomach. She felt that it was inflammatory pain and she decided ibuprofen was appropriate. The problem we had with is was the dosage and obtaining in in a liquid form. I had to get a compounding pharmacy to specially mix it for me because she wanted me to take a full dose and in the liquid that comes as children's motrin that would be like having to drink 1/4 cup of the stuff. Long story short, the compounding pharmacy mixed a liquid for me that I took at a dose of 1 teaspoon every 6 hours...(it cost $79 out of pocket)

It was the best money I ever spent! The stuff tasted horrendous but it did help so much with my pain. I'm off of it now and feeling great.

So, ask your doctor before you take anything... of course...but I took it and it worked! No pills though...my doc says no pills for 6 weeks post surgery!

You might talk to your doctor about topical dicofenac or diclofenac patch (product called Flector Patch).

Both are topical and avoid the stomach issues. I have found Ibuprofen works really well for certain inflammation pain ( not in back) and diclofenac patch for other inflammation pain ( in back). I want to not take any nsaid because I feel like such a WLS sinner and my stomach or GI tract is going to get revenge on me someday. The doctor said I could take after month 6 with a PPI. I do, but therapeutic doses are so high it really concerns me. I take straight ibuprofen, but also take Aleve if I have it.

Another remedy for inflammation is to use those thermaheat pads. Works great and provides 8-12 hour relief. Some have said high doses of fish oil (3000 mg) will help. I have not tried this. Worked with a chiropractor for a couple months and it did not help really.

I am going to ask the doctor tomorrow at my month 9 follow up to see if I can have something stronger then OTC Tylenol because even taking 4 of the extra strength does nothing for me.

I was told by my dr at my 2 month post op appt it was ok to take once in awhile but not on a regular basis. I would give your dr office a call first.

Fiddleman, in Mexico they sell diclofenac (pills and patches) OTC in Wal-Mart. It is my NSAID of choice and I was so envious that the residents of Mexico could buy it with no prescription. Though I haven't really needed an NSAID since surgery--liquid Tyelonol has been ok.

Just take ibuprofen or any ibuprofen-containing medication with some food in your stomach to prevent ulcers and it should be fine. And if you're going the Tylenol route, no more than 4 grams/4,000 mg in a 24 hour period. :)