Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG FAT PEOPLE!

I agree with you on that statement 100% and perhaps my response was not careful enough in semantics. So where does that place us? Are we just ( formerly or presently) obsessed with food or are we (formerly or presently) addicted to food? Does a delineation need to be made?

I'm 3 weeks out and eating (drinking is more apropos) the way I should but my head is planting many a tempting food visions in my mind's eye. And in my dreams. I'm terrified of damaging my sleeve with too much, too soon. But food is often the feature presentation in both my conscious and subconscious thoughts.

I know b4 I would eat until stuffed and when that overfed feeling left, I pack more in. I'd eat privately to hide my intake. I'd do eating "drive-by's" where if leftover food was on the stove I'd sneak a bite on my way through the kitchen. I'd eat mindlessly and feel remorse and disgust afterwards. Not b4 or during. I flipped the switch for the bingeing. Afterwards the flood of emotions. That's what makes me an addict, I think.

I am Ginny. I am most definitely a food addict. If I did not have an active job I would be 300 pounds I have no doubt. I tried every diet and would have temporary success. The weight always came back on and then some. Food occupied so much of my thoughts and at the same time I hated how controlled I felt. The sleeve is certainly helping with the addiction but it is a battle. I do think there are some overweight people that may not truly have an addiction but I feel most of us do. The ones that don't should really attend an OA meeting or talk with a therapist because the reality is.....most of us are fat because we love food and not just love food. I mean we LOVE food! Lol! I am so grateful for my sleeve. It has not been all sunshine and roses but it is the best thing I could have done for myself. I am down 50 pounds and 15 or so from my goal weight. I now feel more in control of my eating and my addiction. My days are not preoccupied with what my next meal will be. I still think about food but in a different way.

(((LAURA)))

Wow....I'm so sorry to hear about your brother Laura. This scares me because I have a brother who is an alcoholic. Actually his drug of choice is robitussin. He's been on that and alcohol for years. Since high school I believe. He's had numerous DUIs and accidents. He's been in rehab many times. I can totally relate when you say how critical your brother was while in recovery as mine becomes the same way. He starts something and becomes obsessed, things like smoking or chewing tobacco etc. I worry for him all the time, were pretty close and he is my only sibling. I'm like you in that this surgery is my last resort and I have to make it work. I let myself get to 427lbs and I never want to be there again! I try to stay positive and realistic also. I don't want to throw in another thing in place of food to be addicted to. I just want to be normal! :)

I don't know what else to say except that what you shared touched me. Addiction scares me because I can see what it does to loved ones. I only hope and pray that this works for me and I can finally find peace within myself.

MrsG - With all due respect: what is normal? Normalcy lies in the eye of the beholder. My pontification of the day. Lol. A simple example is a motorcycle that races past a bystander at a 100 mph will seem incredibly fast. If that same bystander were on a platform also moving 100 mph, the motorcycle would appear to not be moving. It all depends on your perception of things. Physics 101 stuff, but abstractly applies to my discussion about perception and point of view.

And Laura, I know it is hard for you to keep coming back to that painful memory about your brother. It is very hard. I understand. Know that your story is helping someone. Maybe even a lot of someones. We are put through individual tribulation and to go through certain circumstances to heal those around us as difficult as that seems. Each one of us probably has a similar story to tell. Not of the same circumstances, but of the same depth of despair. Talking about it is part of the healing process.

Cross over Addiction is a very real and sometimes extremely private thing. I took too many pain killers after surgery because I enjoyed the effects ( at the time). It was my little secret until I shared with my wife. That was a very difficult thing to admit to. Sometimes I still think about them, but have gotten over that, for now. Everyone likes the physical process that occurs when the dopamine receptors receive the chemical dopamine from various external stimuli. Is addiction as I described here genetic? Not sure. However I do know I like the release of endorphins in my system so will stick to exercise related activities for now instead of substances, even if it is a little over the top. It is helping me achieve fitness goals, almost daily, which translate into other areas of my life. I am finally getting out there and living. Might I add that squats have been shown to release a lot of endorphins. Go low and get the warm and fuzzies.

Hmmm this is a good question. I think I may be a 'food addict'. I have noticed I eat when I'm bored and I crave everything... From savory to sweet :-(

Boy I'm a mess!! Haha

But seriously I have a VERY VERY hard time with Portion Control. It takes a large meal for me to actually FEEL full. I think that's why so many 'diets' have failed. I did okay on WW, but even eating too much 'good for you food' adds up calorie wise.

So yes I'm a food addict. It's tough because you need food to live... And it's not like you can stay away from it like cigarettes because you need it to survive. Sometimes I wish I didn't have this addiction because its been a battle since I was young, and I'm getting tired of fighting it sometimes. But since I looked in to WLS and found this site I'm very hopeful that I will finally conquer this and live my life!

Ps I'm so excited my consultation is on Thursday.. I've been waiting a loooong time! Please cross your fingers, toes, eyes that I get a date in the next couple months!

Thank you

Sheena :-)

MrsG - With all due respect: what is normal? Normalcy lies in the eye of the beholder. My pontification of the day. Lol. A simple example is a motorcycle that races past a bystander at a 100 mph will seem incredibly fast. If that same bystander were on a platform also moving 100 mph' date=' the motorcycle would appear to not be moving. It all depends on your perception of things. Physics 101 stuff, but abstractly applies to my discussion about perception and point of view.

And Laura, I know it is hard for you to keep coming back to that painful memory about your brother. It is very hard. I understand. Know that your story is helping someone. Maybe even a lot of someones. We are put through individual tribulation and to go through certain circumstances to heal those around us as difficult as that seems. Each one of us probably has a similar story to tell. Not of the same circumstances, but of the same depth of despair. Talking about it is part of the healing process.[/quote']

I guess what I mean is MY idea of normal. I would like to have a healthy relationship with food and use it for fueling my body, not use it as a "friend" or because I'm bored. I want to be in control of what I eat, work out and see results. I don't want my life to revolve around food anymore. That's my idea of "normal" but I do get your point! :) ps...I love motorcycles! I just started riding on the back of my husbands since I lost 60lbs! I love it! Lol!

Wow....I'm so sorry to hear about your brother Laura. This scares me because I have a brother who is an alcoholic. Actually his drug of choice is robitussin. He's been on that and alcohol for years. Since high school I believe. He's had numerous DUIs and accidents. He's been in rehab many times. I can totally relate when you say how critical your brother was while in recovery as mine becomes the same way. He starts something and becomes obsessed' date=' things like smoking or chewing tobacco etc. I worry for him all the time, were pretty close and he is my only sibling. I'm like you in that this surgery is my last resort and I have to make it work. I let myself get to 427lbs and I never want to be there again! I try to stay positive and realistic also. I don't want to throw in another thing in place of food to be addicted to. I just want to be normal! :)

I don't know what else to say except that what you shared touched me. Addiction scares me because I can see what it does to loved ones. I only hope and pray that this works for me and I can finally find peace within myself.[/quote']

Thank you for reading my post I didn't know I was going there when I first started writing it....

I'm sorry that you know these problems and worries with your brother. When I was younger I knew one of us wouldn't make it. But I always thought he was the stronger of the two.

I have no advice on how to help your brother..

I think if my brother had more to anchor him here like kids, maybe he would of had a different outcome.

Wow, who knew being obese came with so many issues?

But I have hope for all of us addicted (or not)

Sleevers :)

Hmm, as I mentioned, I eat out of pleasure, not for comfort, or when I'm happy or depressed. However, I would certainly say I'm addicted at some level. I suppose one could consider pleasure an emotional response.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

addicted smokers smoke out of pleasure, too....

I'm so sorry, Laura--both about your brother and your mom. Good for you for working so hard to break the cycle.

addicted smokers smoke out of pleasure, too....

All addicts do it for the pleasure it gives them. Gambling, smoking, eating, drugs alcohol etc.

All addicts do it for the pleasure it gives them. Gambling, smoking, eating, drugs alcohol etc.

All I can say here.........nope, won't go there.... <_<

Wow! This is such an enlightening convo. I'm reading everyones comments trying to see where I fit in.

I know that I am a boredom eater (which I have read, falls under emotional eating), but I don't consider emotional eating the same as food addiction (although I notice that others here do). Many things fall under the umbrella of "addiction" nowadays it seems; sex addiction, food addiction, for example, and until reading many of these responses I felt that calling an unhealthy obsession an addiction is a cop out. Even the "obesity is a disease" school of thought makes me uncomfortable... like, which of us "caught" or "came down with" obesity??

So here's my stats: I don't binge, not ever, but I HAVE once or twice felt embarrassed enough by something that I was eating that I tried to hide it, because I didn't wish to be judged. I tend to eat for the feeling of fullness (full, not miserable), using that to gauge how satisfied I am, versus listening to my body and saying "enough" before I feel that slight pressure. On the other hand, I have never had "clean the plate" syndrome, much to my mother's dismay, and when I'm done I'm just done, no matter how much there is left on my plate. I do, absolutely, feel powerless to resist certain food at times, but that's only when I have been depriving myself in the first place. Is that food addiction or rebellion?

Typically though, I feel like my weight issue is more a matter of greed, and I think I knew where it came from. I grew up quite poor, my mother didn't allow us to eat unlimited amounts; portions were small, there were no seconds, and she often groused that I was wasteful and selfish and that she couldn't afford this or that, so as soon as I got out on my own I remember eating as much as I liked, of whatever I wanted, and getting seconds, and wasting some of it...because I could! Because it was a luxury I had never had. Now, when I eat, I take larger portions because I want to make sure I get *enough*, if that makes sense (even though I don't eat it all). I fear that there might not be enough, like when I was a kid, and it makes me want more than my share. So in closing, I do not believe that I have a food addiction. I feel that greed, and later a lack of willpower when I did attempt to diet, and finally just sheer laziness (because God forbid I should exert myself...awful business, that) caused my condition. But now, however, I can say that I honestly see that some people genuinely ARE addicted.

Good Article from Psychology Today…well worth the read......

Portrait of a food Addict - Is addiction to food making us overeat?

Published on August 12, 2012 by Nicole Avena, Ph.D

Look around. Waist lines are expanding at an alarming rate. In fact, with over 60 percent of the country overweight, most of us are overweight. It is the new norm (although that doesn’t mean it is the ideal). Scientists, physicians, fitness experts, cultural analysts, economists and others have identified a wide variety of factors as culprit(s). Surely, you have heard all kinds of explanations about why so many people are overweight: People are less active, junk food is cheap and easier to access, there is no time for exercise, people are more stressed. All are valid possibilities, and on some level, most likely contribute to the problem of obesity.

But there’s one explanation that has been proposed that sometimes elicits a chuckle, or at least a smirk: some people are overweight because food can be addictive.

And at first, the concept of “food addiction” does seem a bit strange. How can food be addictive if everyone needs it to live?

Sure, we need food to live, without a doubt. But, we don’t need empty calories with little to no nutritional value, or excess quantities of high-sugar and high-fat foods that can jeopardize our health.

The concept of food addiction is relatively new. There are limited ways to assess and diagnose it, and there is no official medical or psychological standard. Nonetheless, studies have revealed that there are behavioral and brain changes seen in response to eating food and drug addiction, and these changes are often markedly similar. As a result, scientists have used the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), which is used to diagnose substance dependence (i.e., drug addiction), as a tool with which to study food addiction. According to the DSM-IV, the seven criteria for addiction are:

1. Tolerance as seen when an individual consumes a larger quantity of a substance to reach intoxication or a desired effect; or when a person experiences a markedly diminished effect when consuming the same amount of the substance

2. Withdrawal as demonstrated by a withdrawal syndrome or taking another substance to alleviate or avoid withdrawal symptoms

3. Consuming the substance in larger amounts or for a longer period than the person intended

4. A persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to reduce or control substance use

5. An immense amount of time is spent on efforts to obtain, use, or recover from the effects of the substance

6. Because of use of the substance, participation in social, occupational or recreational activities are given up or reduced

7. Substance use continues despite knowing that a persistent physical or psychological problem is likely to be caused or aggravated by using the substance

An “addict” is someone who exhibits three or more of these criteria any time in the same 12-month time frame.

Let’s take a look at some ways these criteria might be viewed with regard to food. These are just examples, but they highlight the overlaps that might exist between substance dependence and food abuse.

1. People normally experience feelings of pleasure when they eat. However, some people must eat larger amounts of food to experience this feeling. This increased intake of food required to feel satisfaction might be a manifestation of tolerance

2. Headaches, fatigue, and irritability can be experienced when too much time goes between meals, or when people deprive themselves of certain foods. Could this be a manifestation of withdrawal?

3. An individual may sit down with the intention of having a small, healthy meal, but end up eating much more than they intended, and eating foods that perhaps weren’t intended.

4. An individual may make repeated attempts to try dieting or losing weight, but fail. Also, one may try to cut back on eating certain foods that are bad for them, but find it difficult to stop eating them.

5. People spend a large portion of their day (and sometimes even their night) eating.

6. Excessive eating and being overweight impedes participation in recreational physical activities, and can lead some to be embarrassed or uncomfortable at work or with friends when it comes to their weight.

7. One may continue to overeat even though he or she knows it will impede various aspects of daily life and well-being, such as increasing risks for heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Food addiction is a hotly debated topic in science and fitness. As we continue to search for explanations regarding why, despite all of the public health warnings of obesity, many adults and children continue to be overweight, it’s important to keep in mind that eating highly-palatable foods, or merely just the exposure to such foods, can have effects on our brains and behaviors. Many people overeat because food taste good, and it does something else for them beyond just supplying nutrients and calories.

Nicole Avena, Ph.D. is a research neuroscientist and an expert in the fields of nutrition, diet and addiction.