Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Made You Choose the Sleeve?

Hi, I'm just wondering what made some of you guys in the community choose the sleeve over the other numerous WLS options. Just trying to learn more about you guys in the community and maybe find out some more benefits of having the procedure. I'm personally choosing this option because it seems to where I want to go with my life and I mentally couldn't get my head around the bypass or having foreign objects left in side me. Also felt I would lose the weight at a much slower rate with the band and I'm trying to get ahead of health complications before they catch up to me so an abundant amount of time isn't something that I have even at the young age of 30. (Sorry if this post twice the site is acting up a little on me today)

Hey JackJ:

I am ALMOST at the 30 year old mark with no health problems; except being over weight. I have tried every diet known to mankind (ok maybe not every one) but I would loose 5lbs and gain 15lbs. Nothing was working, my beginning weight in January was 263. My mom was pushing me to do something to help myself; and I agreed. I researched my insurance and found a doctor. I went to the seminar thinking I was doing the lap band; but after the seminar; I started doing more and more research. Something about a foreign object being in my body. The more I read I learned that A LOT of people are doing the sleeve after the band because it does not work. I wanted a tool to help me and as I have read into this page; I have learned more and more about the sleeve and I am happy with my decision. My pre-op is tomorrow and I will find out my surgery date. GOod luck with everything!

Had the band for 10 years and it sucked. I did not like having a "pouch" and feared the rny would be too similiar.

I had so much weight to lose, I decided that if the sleeve didn't give me good results, I would be open to getting the DS, but not the RNY. The sleeve worked great for me, I have lost 150+ in 14 months and am now maintaining.

for me it was the easiest option. Im a mother and the thought of constant trips into the doctot to get fills if I got the band, would suck. also it has the least success out of all WLS. I looked at gastric bypass but I wasnt that big and the thought of even more major surgery diddnt appeal. so the sleeve it was. I have just 25 pounds to loose now and Im just 4 months out. (I had 75 pounds to loose) so Im happy now with the results. I think teh less you can fool around with your organs the better lol. with bypass they re rout your intestines and stuff as well as cut your stomach out. diddnt sound appealing to me lol. I dont regret the sleeve at all and I recommend it as do allot of others.

for me it was the easiest option. Im a mother and the thought of constant trips into the doctot to get fills if I got the band' date=' would suck. also it has the least success out of all WLS. I looked at gastric bypass but I wasnt that big and the thought of even more major surgery diddnt appeal. so the sleeve it was. I have just 25 pounds to loose now and Im just 4 months out. (I had 75 pounds to loose) so Im happy now with the results. I think teh less you can fool around with your organs the better lol. with bypass they re rout your intestines and stuff as well as cut your stomach out. diddnt sound appealing to me lol. I dont regret the sleeve at all and I recommend it as do allot of others.[/quote']

Not trying to argue but with rny they DON'T cut your stomach out, they staple off part and make a pouch and rerout intestines. It is technically reversible unlike the sleeve. That pouch thing was terrible with the band and i feared issues with it for rny too.

Not trying to argue but with rny they DON'T cut your stomach out' date=' they staple off part and make a pouch and rerout intestines. It is technically reversible unlike the sleeve. That pouch thing was terrible with the band and i feared issues with it for rny too.[/quote']

They do, indeed, remove the extra stomach. I complained about one of my larger incisions and was told that one was where they pulled it out, thus making that one more raw and swollen.

The gastric sleeve, approximately 85% of the stomach is removed - that is what I had. that is not reversible

The RNY, they do not remove any stomach. The staple off part of it and reroute intestines. That is theoretically reversible since the stomach is still "there". I linked to a drawing of the RNY to clarify what i am trying to say.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.surgery4diabetes.info/images/RNY.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.surgery4diabetes.info/procedures2.html&h=325&w=280&sz=25&tbnid=asv5-X0N5UwKcM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=82&zoom=1&usg=__o8YSVOq0k6oe8NXgt5OUrg-P-qw=&docid=KtGeEpF8Tv5qQM&sa=X&ei=AIRcUcXLEon2iQK_0IC4DA&ved=0CEsQ9QEwBw&dur=6686

I think we are saying the same thing - just misunderstanding.

The gastric sleeve, approximately 85% of the stomach is removed - that is what I had. that is not reversible

The RNY, they do not remove any stomach. The staple off part of it and reroute intestines. That is theoretically reversible since the stomach is still "there". I linked to a drawing of the RNY to clarify what i am trying to say.

http://www.google.co...9QEwBw&dur=6686

I think we are saying the same thing - just misunderstanding.

Hi Cowgirl Jane

What did Dr Landerholm charge for your gastric sleeve surgery. Did you go out of pocket route or through insurance?

A friend of mine does not want to go to Mexico again (does not want to pay out of pocket) and is attempting to get insurance to cover the cost this time.

Thank you!