Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hello all,

Decided I needed some motivation to get the rest of this weight off, so am doing an 8 week walk/run/walk training program, to build up to running 30 minutes. Here's the link if anybody's interested:

Beginner Runners - How To Get Started With Running

I'm also signed up to do my first 5K on May 1st, the "Cinco De Mayo" run in Highlands Ranch.

Does anybody want to join me in this endeavor? You can run/walk the 5k if you like.

Please let me know! Thanks!

WOW... good for you to commit to this. My ultimate goal is to be able to do a 5K. I know it won't be this year... but you have a date for next year!!! :redface:

I read the article. It looks completely doable (for you...not me :redface:) I need to get some more of this weight off, so my knee doesn't make me completely miserable when trying it.

Ok, we can definitely do one together a year from now! That will be something fun to look forward to.

Wow Theresa.... has it really been almost a year for you?? Time flies...

This year has flown by! Next month will be one year. Hoping to hit an 80 pound loss by then.

Congratulations on the wii fit loss! I've heard that it's fun.

I'm so sad I'm going to miss the Red Robin night! I'm working!

Looking forward to seeing you all tonight! Prty, we'll miss ya, hope you have a good shift.

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I posted on here, maybe a year. Well good news, I've had my surgery date for a month now, and just got off the phone with Dr Kirshenbaum for our phone consult! We are taking our tax return and I'm getting my band, finally! This last year has been so hard, not knowing if we would be able to do it, or when we could afford it. But it's time! I'm kinda excited, but don't want to just yet. Not until I'm in his office and getting everything done.

My question is, I want to get everything I need before my surgery that I need, any advice? I live in a small town, so if I need to order something, I would like to get it now! He was talking about Vitamins, what kind does everyone take? I looked at the website that is attached to his, but how does it taste? Any advice would be welcomed!!!! Thank you ladies so much, can't wait to hear from you.

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I posted on here, maybe a year. Well good news, I've had my surgery date for a month now, and just got off the phone with Dr Kirshenbaum for our phone consult! We are taking our tax return and I'm getting my band, finally! This last year has been so hard, not knowing if we would be able to do it, or when we could afford it. But it's time! I'm kinda excited, but don't want to just yet. Not until I'm in his office and getting everything done.

My question is, I want to get everything I need before my surgery that I need, any advice? I live in a small town, so if I need to order something, I would like to get it now! He was talking about Vitamins, what kind does everyone take? I looked at the website that is attached to his, but how does it taste? Any advice would be welcomed!!!! Thank you ladies so much, can't wait to hear from you.

Congratz on getting your consult! About vitamins, I just buy the Gummy ones from costco. I bought some that are fruit flavored, and I just take 2 a day. I bet you could even take them while you are on your post op liquid diet, because they are the clear kind.

Your life is about to change pigletmik! I have no regrets at all about the surgery. It changed my life and gave me a fighting chance in my life-long struggle with food.< /p>

I also use the gummi-vites. You can get them at Safeway too, but if you have a costco membership they are much cheaper.

It will be at least week or two before you can eat soft/solid food after surgery. This is probably the toughest part of recovery. Have some Protein Drinks (Safeway's are okay too, but Costco's brand is better). Dr. K. will caution you against hot liquids for several days because you will have swelling after surgery that hot foods will not help. So plan on cold drinks, Jello, and Protein drinks. Then you can transition to soft foods like yogurt, smoothies (no seeds), etc. Get by a Walgreens or anther pharmacy and buy a pill-splitter. If you have any other pills you take, it may be awhile (if ever) before you can take one whole. Dr. K. said that large pills can and do get stuck.

After your tummy is healed, you will have a couple of weeks (minimum) before you can eat solids. Be prepared to experience some hunger, and know that your body needs time to heal. Eating solids too soon can cause slippage and an ineffective band. Just know that this phase is temporary.

The very best of luck to you - and keep us posted.

Edited by mem620

Hello all,

Decided I needed some motivation to get the rest of this weight off, so am doing an 8 week walk/run/walk training program, to build up to running 30 minutes. Here's the link if anybody's interested:

Beginner Runners - How To Get Started With Running

I'm also signed up to do my first 5K on May 1st, the "Cinco De Mayo" run in Highlands Ranch.

Does anybody want to join me in this endeavor? You can run/walk the 5k if you like.

Please let me know! Thanks!

Snowgator! Congratulations on your 5k training. 5k's are my thing! Last year my goal was to run 12 of them (my thinking was one for each month...) I didn't make my goal, but I still had a great time trying. I did the couch to 5k program a couple years ago. If you go to Podrunner.com he has a great program. I recently restarted the program in attempt at a better time. You will do fantastic! Enjoy yourself and again congrats.

ALOHA to all my other Banditos! Sorry, i dont get on here much, but you are always in my thoughts on this journey!

I know that not many of you guys get on anymore, at least not very often. I am thinking my pouch may be stretched so I am putting myself on a week of liquids just to check. Won't be too bad. Going to drink a lot of Protein Shakes though. I am still not going ANYWHERE! Except up a little. No more than 2 or 3 lbs back and forth. I am just sick of it though so decided to do something a little drastic. I hope it will be worth it. Liquids for a week. Day 1. ug.

Thanks ladies for you kind words! I'm ready for this to happen, I'm ready to play with my kids more!

I haven't been on in a while. My computer died and it's taken forever to get a new one and find my passwords and id's.

So, how is the pouch test going? I haven't lost weight in a few months. Haven't gained either. They decided right in the middle of winter to remodel the women's restroom. I had to go across the street. I didn't drink hardly at all for nearly four months. It's really, really cold here. Since they finally got it done, I have noticed a big difference. On the other hand all I do is study, so not much moving around.

I am more active now, but my knees are really bothering me making it hard to exercise. I am sure running after the kids will be a good workout. My nieces and nephews keep me going. I couldn't run 100 feet, much less 5k. That'd kill me. I am such a wuss.

Snowgator! Congratulations on your 5k training. 5k's are my thing! Last year my goal was to run 12 of them (my thinking was one for each month...) I didn't make my goal, but I still had a great time trying. I did the couch to 5k program a couple years ago. If you go to Podrunner.com he has a great program. I recently restarted the program in attempt at a better time. You will do fantastic! Enjoy yourself and again congrats.

ALOHA to all my other Banditos! Sorry, i dont get on here much, but you are always in my thoughts on this journey!

Thanks for the tip Mal, i will check out podrunner. I had an achilles tendon issue, so am scaling back the training to no more than 10% increase per week, but still keeping at it. Hope you can join us at red robin one of these days, would love to see you!

To all of you wonderful people out there. Tomorrow 03/16/10 is Dr. K's Birthday...Send your wishes via ncardenas@lapbandrockies.com