Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

We arrived in Denver safe & sound. Hubby had his pre-op appointment with Dr. K on Tuesday (he lost 14.6 lbs in 14 days on the pre-op diet!).

Surgery was yesterday. He had a complication when he reacted to one of the post-surgical pain medications so they had to give him a big dose of Benadryl. It made him extra sleepy and delayed us at the surgical center for an hour but otherwise no significant issues. He still had lots of drugs in his system from the surgery last night. They wore off at about 5:00 a.m.

Today he is very, very sore. Moving like a very old man. We went back to Dr. K's office because them was some discoloration (normal) and one of the surgical wounds was bleeding under the plastic cover. Dr. K said to leave the wound alone unless it started to leak from the dressing; then I would need to remove the plastic dressing and re-bandage (bought the surgical plastic bandage at the drug store in his building today). He has needed maximum pain meds today and based on info from several people that's not unusual for up to 5 days.

He's still itching (because of the reaction) and we got an OK for adding liquid Benadryl. None of the gas is moving yet, except for a few burps. One of the patients getting a fill today suggested trying some Gas-X (I found the same medication in a baby version and adjusted the dose). Dr. K said it was OK to try but he didn't know if it would really help.

His BEST friends right now are Dryer's Splenda sweetened fruit pops (only the strawberry and raspberry) and cool (1/2 from fridge and 1/2 room temp) organic chicken broth.

We got lucky and ran into MissT on our way out of Dr. K's office today she looked great and said she was feeling wonderful (she's got a couple of extra good things going for her in the healing department - first she's female and second she's at least, my guessing, 15 years younger than Mark). Dr. K said the surgery goes easier with females because where the fat layer is generally located; with men it is within the abdominal cavity around the internal organs, with women it is outside the abdominal cavity under the skin (which is why we got cellulite and men generally don't).

Oh, the name of the powdered mix containing caffeine is "Spark". I got it at Walmart.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Judy

Threedogpeople, thank you for sharing your hubby's journey and I hope that he continues to recover well. Keep us posted !

Threedogpeople, good luck on your husbands recovery.

Hey everyone! In addition to Dr.K having a map in his office, he has one on his website also, with the number of traveling patients designated in each state! It is pretty cool, but he needs to update Illinois and put me on it....:)

Long time, no post! I wanted to pop in and let you know I'm thinking of you all, both the veterans and the newbies. I just sent Dr. K an email requesting that his map on the website be updated -- there are 0 listed from NC! I know of Skyblue, Tarheeluv and myself -- Carolina Girls represent happy.gif

My son's having some school issues right now, but we're working on it. Prayers and/or postive thoughts are appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all of you and thanks again for sharing your journeys with me -- you've helped me more than you'll ever realize and I'm sorry that I haven't been around as much to show my support to you recently. But 2008 will be a much better year for us all!!

Shelbie~sorry to hear about your son, I hope you can get things worked out.

Nice to hear form you.

Happy Holidays!

threedog~sorry, I thought you were having the surgery. Thanks for posting. I hope your husbands recovery is quick and tell him "welcome to bandland" for us!

Hubby got up early; asked for a wake up call so he could take his meds on time. Good news is that he is feeling much better! Best news is that the gas in his belly has started to move (didn't think I'd ever be happy that he's able to pass gas :>)) The pressure from the gas in his belly has been one of the most uncomfortable parts for him.

Surgical wounds look really good today; I did have to rebandage one of them last night so having the clear surgical patch handy turned out to be a good idea. In case you missed it, I got it at the pharmacy at Dr. K's office.

It looks like we might be able to leave tomorrow and make it to my mom's for Christmas afterall.

Judy

Judy~nice to hear things are movign along and your hubby is feeling better today.

and congrats on your upcoming 20th Anniversary, my hubby and I celebrated our 20 year last July. I wonder where the 20 years went so quickly. May you have many more years together!

Judy: So glad your hubby is feeling better. Hope he passes gas soon. :):D

Shelbie: Hope things get better wih your son and he gets back on track with school. Thankfully your school is working with you. That is half the battle!

How is everoyne else. Anyone heard from Mona? Who else just had their surgery. I am still trying to figure everyone out! :P

I have a small Christmas miracle happening at my house. My mom is in town for the holidays and I decided to tell her about the surgery. At first she was less than thrilled. Gave me the whole talk about how I should lose it like she did. Once I explained to her all the research I did and how my genes are half my dad's so my journey is not hers... she seemed to be on board.

I would have been thrilled with just that, but she went one step farther and offered to loan me the money for the surgery. :) :) If you knew my mom you would know why this is such a huge deal.

Then...on top of that... she is giving me a year to pay off the small amount of debt we do have on a card... THEN we can pay her. I am just speechless at her generosity.

I am still stunned but am not questioning it. I guess this is definitely meant to be since things are falling into place for me. I am so glad I decided to talk to my mom.

I had some difficulties booking a flight (we decided to fly) since my work schedule was off by a day (my mistake). I am flying into Denver at 11:35 and my pre op is at 1pm. So that is what I am most concerned about right now. Hopefully the weather and airlines will be co-operating.

So... now I guess it is just a waiting game.

ShelbieCallie,

Yes Carolina Girls are the Best in the World!!! I hope everything clears up for your son. I will pray for him tonight.

Judy, wishing your husband lots of expelled gas. I know how he feels.

LA, I'm so glad your mom is going to help with the money. One less thing to worry about.

I just wanted to stop in to say!!!

Happy Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

The New Year is just around the corner -- a time for new resolutions, new starts and reaching new goals.

You have all been my friends and my support. I love you Guys! Hugs to you this holiday season!

So go -- take those tiny bites, chew well and enjoy yourselves!!!

dee~:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Bookholder,

What I want most for the New Year, I can't talk about here!

Oops!

see ya Dear!

dee~