Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Yes! Where is Mona?

Has anyone heard from her?

Tarheel, you're 1/3 of your way to goal! That's great! I'm hoping to get a jump start too... I returned to the pre-op diet even tho my surgery isn't going to happen for 6 wks. I am afraid of gaining more weight before my surgery! How are you feeling at 5 days post op?

Brandy! how are you doing? I hope you're feeling well!

Munchkin, how was work on Friday night? I really hope you didn't have to work three shifts in a row!!!

Threedogpeople! Welcome! Wow your hubby has done great on the pre-op diet! He's lucky to have such a supportive wife!

Kirsten, I'm glad to hear you're home safe and sound!

Well, I gotta go now, I'm working in the morning!

Hugs Peeps!

dee~

Hi ladies.. I posted on the other DrK thread but everyone seems to check in here so I will repost here if that is ok. :biggrin1:

First off my name is Lori! ;) I live in AZ with my hubby and 4 cats. Been fat forever and very much so looking forward to the extra tool to keep me on track. :biggrin1: Not so much looking forward to the extra debt, but ah well, gotta do what ya gotta do!

I have a few questions about aftercare that I am concerned about. I have my phone consult with DrK on the 27th... but some of these questions I think are better answered by bandsters.

I checked with a local surgeon here and he WILL NOT do my aftercare for me. *grumble* I still have another one I can check with today so I will be doing that.

I plan on traveling to CO for my first fill/follow-up with DrK, but after that I am not sure if it make sense $$ wise to continue to travel for fills. I would prefer to have a follow-up Dr closer to home.

My main questions and concerns:

(apply to those that have traveled for the surgery)

1) What if I have an emergency?

His staff seems very accessible and friendly on the phone, but I am apprehensive about feeling like I have nowhere to turn locally.

2) Do you regret your decision to travel to your surgeon? If yes, why?

3) Were you able to line up aftercare in your hometown?

OR Do you still travel to CO every time you need a fill?

4) How often have you had to travel back to CO since your surgery? (for fills, complications, etc.)

5) Is there anything you wish you knew before the surgery that no one told you?

Thanks so much for any help/insight! I look forward to getting to know you ladies and participating in this group. :biggrin1:

I posted on the second Dr. K thread, but this one seems to see more action, so I thought I'd do a little post here too.

In brief...I'm 30, been fat my entire life and found out about lapband about two and a half years ago. I did the research and it sounded like the right tool for me (I've been on countless diets & exercise programs). I discovered my insurance wouldn't cover WLS at all, so I am self pay. I had a date scheduled with a surgeon in Mexico, then chickened out. A few months ago I decided, after realizing that I'd reached an all-time high weight of 302 pounds (I'm 5'10") it was time to revisit lapband again. I again scheduled with the same surgeon in Mexico, only to get cold feet about aftercare. But the surgeons in my state are out of reach costwise. If I could at least find a US surgeon with a good reputation that's affordable, then I'd feel comfortable.

Then I found a recommendation for Dr. K. After researching him, as well as finding out that the cost is only a bit higher than the surgeon in Mexico, I knew it was the right decision. Coincidentally I have two friends who live in Colorado and I was just out there visiting them in May. I love it. It seemed like a sign.

So, here I am. I am looking for a surgery date the week of February 11, but I don't have it scheduled yet because my husband needs to make sure he can get the days off. But I've already talked to Natalee and I'm excited!

It seems like you have a nice group going here and I look forward to reading about all of your experiences.

LA~Welcome and Congrats on your descision and date!!! The investment in yourself is worth it...YOU are worth it! I struggled with writing that check, but I don't regret it one bit. I am always doing for everyone else, it was time to do for myself!! I am happy with my descision and I know you will be too! I am local, so I can't answer your q's 1-4 and #5...well, I think by roaming around this site, I found a lot of information that helped me be more informed before the surgery. Hope to see around the threads!

Viri~WELCOME!! I hope it all works out and you get your Feb 11th date. I chickened out a few times myself. I almost did the gastric bypass (thank goodness I didn't), I am happy with the LB and Dr. K. It took me about 4 years to finally get enough nerve to just "do it". Keep us posted on your journey. We have a great group of people here for support!

Hey gals

Thanks for the support and kind words. The weekend was sad...very sad. The memorial service was on Saturday, it ws beautiful, touching and extremly heart breaking. I was moved by the strength of the family members and very emotional for the friends he left behind, all so hurt and confused and all so young.

I have not met my excercise goals, they came to a sudden stop (along with everything else), haven't been to the gym in a week and my food choices are not the best. I have fallen off the wagon, but I will dust myself off and get back on! A new week, a new start!!

Livingthedream~WELCOME to COLORADO...are you traveling alone?? Surgery tomorrow??? let us know if you need anything and keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks for the welcome Mal. I am so sorry about your sons friend. ;)

So glad to here you don't regret writing that check. Ack! I am still worried about complications arising and not have the $$ to fix it!

How much weight have you lost so far? How many fills have you needed?

Hi Everyone~

I am here and made it through surgery just fine. Although recovery has been alot harder than I thought it would be. I am just trying to get better before Christmas and before the kids are out of school!

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Brandy

Brandy... so glad to hear everything went well for you :) I hope your Christmas goes well. :D

LA, Brandy, verid... - welcome. We are a great support group and site and love having you.

To answer your question LA - I am amazed how much the overeating is part of my being. Even when I am reminded by the band that I've had enough - I try to eat through it. This didn't happen right away, it happened in the third to fourth month post banding. The honeymoon over? No, now I see the work I need to do. Whatever you can start doing now to ready yourself for a lifetime commitment, I implore you - - do it. There are no easy solutions here. I have lots of support systems in place, so if I lose it in one area, another system picks me up. (ie: therapy, acupunture, and a personal trainer) Without which, I am not sure I would be this far along. For me, it is mental and behavioral as well as emotional. No wonder the usual diet stuff would work for two months then didn't work afterward.

Mal - I missed seeing you. I think we decided to go with the second Thursday every month. This way it doesn't conflict with Dr. K's support group on Tuesday. I hope to see you next year. You sound really good. Happy holidays to you and your sweet family.

Michelle

Hugs and best wishes I am off to Seattle for a week

I am finally home and feeling soooo much better. I have very little pain now but I have developed diahrrea and it is making me miserable. Other than that, I feel a lot better.

I want to thank all of you for the great support and encouragement that I received in this thread, I really appreciate it.

I will be returning to work tomorrow night (3rd shift), I just hope the diahrrea is gone by then.

Hi ladies.. I posted on the other DrK thread but everyone seems to check in here so I will repost here if that is ok. :biggrin1:

First off my name is Lori! :) I live in AZ with my hubby and 4 cats. Been fat forever and very much so looking forward to the extra tool to keep me on track. :biggrin1: Not so much looking forward to the extra debt, but ah well, gotta do what ya gotta do!

I have a few questions about aftercare that I am concerned about. I have my phone consult with DrK on the 27th... but some of these questions I think are better answered by bandsters.

I checked with a local surgeon here and he WILL NOT do my aftercare for me. *grumble* I still have another one I can check with today so I will be doing that.

I plan on traveling to CO for my first fill/follow-up with DrK, but after that I am not sure if it make sense $$ wise to continue to travel for fills. I would prefer to have a follow-up Dr closer to home.

My main questions and concerns:

(apply to those that have traveled for the surgery)

His staff seems very accessible and friendly on the phone, but I am apprehensive about feeling like I have nowhere to turn locally.

I do not have an answer for this one. I just pray a lot and hope for the best. If need be, I can go to my local emergency room. I can also follow up with Dr. Berger in Flagstaff who will be doing my fills.

2) Do you regret your decision to travel to your surgeon? If yes, why? No, I don't regret it but I would suggest flying over the 20+ hour drive that I made.

OR Do you still travel to CO every time you need a fill?

Yes, I will be having aftercare with Dr. Berger in Flagstaff, AZ

4) How often have you had to travel back to CO since your surgery? (for fills, complications, etc.) N/A

5) Is there anything you wish you knew before the surgery that no one told you? Dr. K explained everything, he is great. He told me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks so much for any help/insight! I look forward to getting to know you ladies and participating in this group. :biggrin1:

Hi Lori, my name is Mona and I live in Phoenix, AZ and was just banded by Dr. K on December 13, 2007. I will tell you right now that I would recommend him HIGHLY, he is a great surgeon and very gentle.

As for your questions, I have answered each of them above in red. Hope it helps.

Mona

L.A. Hi. I can't answer you're questions very well since I was just banded but I will try.

If it is a true medical emergency you will need to go to your local hospital. If it is an urgent situation I'm sure Dr. K would see you in Denver the next day. That is probably faster than you could even get in with another doctor.

2) Do you regret your decision to travel to your surgeon? If yes, why? No, I don't regret it yet, but I might later. I must admit that the night after surgery I was regretting it because I was not sure I could make it onto the plane the next day. But I did make it and I'm feeling pretty good now.

OR Do you still travel to CO every time you need a fill? Right now I plan to travel to CO for about the first year or so. I joined the frequent flyer club of a discount airline and got their credit card. I charged the surgery onto the credit card and earned enough credits for a round trip flight just like that. I'm going to charge as much stuff as I can (including my property taxes if they allow it) to earn more miles. You might want to go to Fill Centers USA - Weight Loss Surgery - Bariatric Surgery - Gastric Bypass Surgery - Lap Band Surgery Information and Support to see if they're in your area. That is a reasonable fill option that will take other doctor's patients. I plan to use them when I stop going to CO.

4) How often have you had to travel back to CO since your surgery? I'm just one week out now.

5) Is there anything you wish you knew before the surgery that no one told you? I wish I had a better concept of how much pain I was going to be in so I could've delayed my flight back by a day.

Tied,

Thanks for asking I'm feeling much better now.

Mona,

Glad to see you are feeling better too. Didn't it hurt more than you thought it would?

Viri,

Congrats on your decision. One great thing about going to CO is the great sightseeing you can do in the days before your surgery. I had a super time for a couple of days in the Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs/Pikes Peak area.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to answer my questions! Appreciate it.

I have my phone consult in the morning with Paula! ;) I have already been cutting out all bread, Pasta, and rice in my diet for the past few days. Been practicing chewing slower (so hard!) and have avoided my worst enemy... ice cream (even harder)!

Tomorrow I am going to start subbing a Protein Drink for Breakfast in preparation of the liquid phase. :D

Mona: Glad to see you made it home safely! I live in Tucson and am not looking forward to the drive. ;) I have not had luck finding a fill Dr... so I may look into yours in Flagstaff... not too bad of a drive. Were you not able to find anyone in Phoenix who would do it?

Has anyone here kept their surgery private? I am not going to tell anyone at work for sure, but am undecided about family and friends.

Mal-I'm so sorry to hear about your sons friend. That is such a sad situation. I went to nursing school with a woman whose son had committed suicide when he was 16. They had no idea he was even depressed. He went to his grandparents house when they were out of town and did it. Her and her husband have tried to make something positive out of it and they have a non-profit organization that goes around and teaches schools and such about teen suicide. They made a video about their experience and I was crying like a baby by the end of it. It was really moving.

Mona-I'm glad you made it home ok. Sorry about the diarrhea-I had it too, but only for a few days, so maybe it will be better tomorrow. How's the pain?

Tarheel-I second what you said about the pain. It was more than I expected. My abdomen is still hurting, and I could not really work this weekend. I tried to lift a patient out of bed and into the chair, and that was a huge mistake.

Welcome to all the new people. I personally do not regret having my surgery with Dr.K. The aftercare thing can be a bit of a problem. I initially planned to fly back to Colorado for my aftercare, but I'm having some financial constraints right now, so I found a local surgeon to do my aftercare. I feel lucky because they only charge $150 for a fill, which is not nearly as outrageous as some of the others I have seen. If I did not get this surgeon to do my aftercare, I would be flying back to Colorado. I am a nurse, and I was very impressed with Dr.K and his staff, and very impressed with the surgical center where I had my surgery. The nurses there were top notch. I agree with Tarheel, if you have surgery in Denver, plan to stay an extra day or two afterwards to rest. I did not feel like flying home the next morning either. It was a long morning. Anyhow, if any of you have any questions, please feel free to PM me!

I hope everyone is warm and happy! It's brrrrrr cold and snowy here!