Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I haven't been accessing my OA dailys because as some of you know, a relative compromised my confidentiality on that site, as a result I simply do not trust it anymore so I don't participate in that website..BUT the web is a big place and my therapist guided me to another site that is very supportive and much quieter. The members, like myself, are recovering from addiction issues and emotional garbage. The drug I was newly placed on was to help the addiction craving. I felt no different but the thoughts of eating something I shouldn't have (what I call the creepy crawleys) faded quickly.

sunrise032.jpg

It's with joy I can share this next news. I have stayed away from the toxicity in my extended family and find myself in a healthier mindset. Working the 12 Steps of OA I came to a place of forgiveness that made me realize that it is not easy to forgive someone who does not want forgiveness. Through reading and counseling I came to the RAW discovery that much of my life was a creation of what I HOPED would some day be the support and strength gained from loved ones. I wept long and hard for several days when the train left the station and I realized, this never was nor never would be, a reality in my life.

Who would you pick if you could CHOOSE your family?

A new process for me was "Family of Choice". I found two women who have agreed with giggles and amusement, to become my new sisters. I have one older sister who is loving and kind and knows my walk. She calls me and sends me cards and emails and we went out together a few days ago and she brougth me a gift, a limoge box that is tiny and delicately painted. She shared she has secretly wanted a sister because she never had one, only had brothers.

My other sister is closer to my age but still older. She too is very supportive, loving, non-judgemental and calls me with a quick voice of support.

I have a brother/cousin who is Cuban and lives near Miami!!! My dear friend agreed to be my cousin/brother and I am smiling just thinking about all that he is and brings to my life.

I have a MOM figure as well. This woman is a southern delight (like my biological mother). I have a history with this woman so the trust is there. She talks to me like a daughter and her care and love come through. She has daughters of her own so her experience with girls is a pattern she is familiar with.

I have gained wonderful advice from her which comes in the form of directness and not a complaint on how horrible my father was.

My friends this experience has been positively liberating.

If any of you suffer from a toxic relationship in your family I would encourage you to consider distancing yourself from that which you cannot trust and that which hurts you. We would hope that all people experience unconditional love from their family but realistically this isn't so and it can have horrible consequences on us.

sunrise040.jpg

Still walking this walk, still doing headwork and still on my way to a better life in a better place.

((Patty))

Random photos I've taken.

sunrise164.jpg

Atticus-Sparticus, my daughter's cat

sunrise058.jpg

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS...what are some of yours????

HALLOWEEN is my favorite Holiday!!!

love01.jpg

VINTAGE ART/PHOTOGRAPHY

Halloween3.jpg

For Mal and Michelle...........

ART-has-the-ability2b.gif

My BOO

WeddingCelebration020-13.jpg

WeddingCelebration020-12.jpg

WeddingCelebration020-11.jpg

WeddingCelebration020-10.jpg

My son-in-law the soldier: Called "Red, White and Shawn"

Shawn_edited-1.jpg

Lap - You have journeyed far. Beautiful photos. The leaves are turning in the mountains this weekend, and should be good for two - three weeks. When are you going to be here? Is Red Robin on your calendar?

I seem to be in a much better emotional place these days. Good activity level, good eating, man , I am doing it.

Hugs,

Michelle

Hi Gals!

BEAUTIFUL pics Lap!! I am heading to Eagle this weekend...going Yurtin' and caving...very cool and lots of fun. I hope to get some great pics of the leaves...now if I could post them!!

I agree what stunning pictures! I take a lot of pictures but I am far from the artist that a lot of you are. I think in Colorado I was around 1000. I play the law of numbers - when you take that many, a few of them are bound to turn out good! LOL

Keep in mind that I was on "vacation" in Colorado... but here's my pictures if anyone is interested. We did Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park before my surgery, Air Force Academby, Pikes Peak, and zoo after my surgery. I squeezed in as much vacation as I could!!!

Lap Dancer and Littleroo1 - I loved your pictures, they were so relaxing to flip through. Didn't God make an incredible world.

Lap Dancer - One thing you said that it is not easy to forgive someone who does not want forgiveness really strikes a note with me as I struggled with forgiveness forever. It really freed me when I realized that forgiveness is NOT necessarily reconciliation. Forgiveness is for you, so that you don't become bitter. You can forgive and not be friends again. Reconciliation happens when the other person admits their part in the problem and changes their behaviour, not just saying they are sorry. Just my two cents.

I leave for Cailfornia to babysit my GRANDBOYS. They are 3 years and 18 months. So I will be tired and might not get much computer time.

Marilyn

post-221349-13813135511008_thumb.jpg

:help:Hello everyone, first let me say I feel so weird posting here as I have been stalking all of you for several months and now I am exposing myself. I can't begin to explain how all your posts have helped me through this entire process; the wait to expect at the Dr's office, the shopping list for preop, experiencing a PB, I could go on and on. I was banded by Dr K on 9/11, right after the guy from Brooklyn who insisted he be banded on 9/11 in honor of that date, and by the way "escaped" the surgery center without permission from Dr K, it was quite funny.

At any rate, my question is this it's been a week now and I still have diarrhea and although I've gone back to work, I am still very tired. Is this normal????

Grrreat pictures Lap Dancer and littleroo.. We were treated to both ends of the spectrum... One in Florida at sea level and the other in the great Rocky Mountains at 14,000 ft above sea level... Thank you both sooo much for sharing... I just loved the Colorado sunset... (just a tad partial to Colorado and the beauty which lies therein)

want2be...... I go in to see Dr K for my pre-op at 2:00 pm on Oct 15th... That would be great if we could meet then... How are you doing post surgery? Still feeeling much pain or is it subsiding a little bit?

Lap and Littleroo~ awesome shots!! Lap, what kind of camera did you get? Littleroo, how early did you come to colorado before your surgery?? I am beyond impressed at how much sight seeing you got in...gosh, I live here and haven't even seen all of that! Did you come a couple days ahead?

Wrkl8...so you were the one patient I didn't get to meet! I was wondering who it was, because there was Marc (NYC), Dave (KY), me and I knew there was one more paitent, but couldn't sniff her out!;) I am so glad you made yourself known! Were you staying at the Holiday Inn? I just emailed Marilyn before hopping on the board. I have the OPPOSITE problem as you, I wasn't going to post it cuz I was being shy (me???), but I have had NO bowel activity for 8 days..nada,nothing, nein..is THAT normal??? Maybe I'd lose a few pounds if my plumbing was flowing! I don't know which is normal, your or my experience...I'll let you know what I find out. Treat yourself like you just had surgery and go at the pace you can handle. This may have been a "minimally invasive" surgery, but my body sure felt it. Rest every chance you get. Are you drinking Protein?

How are you feeling? Today was my first day I felt "normal"~thank god. I just took off the suture coverings today...several of my scars are keloiding...makes me mad..but, oh well, rather have scars than fat!

goodness...Dr. K was not happy when NYC went AWOL. We got him to the hotel after his surgery. The biggest concern Dr. K had, it seemed, was that he came ALONE, and Dr. K didn't know that till that day...

Nicnak ~ my appt is at 1:30, so we will definately be in the office at the same time. Will be great to meet. I will probably stay in town a few hours to trial the fill, then maybe drive home that night. Not sure, yet.

My excruciating pain has now gone to soreness, and I am not quite so tired. I have been a real good girl doing what I am supposed to do. I still look like I am ready to squat and deliver a bouncing baby:faint:but that has to go down sooner or later...I have that nice stomach shelf I used to set Water glasses on when I was prego...quite pleasant to the eye, I'm tellin ya!

Hope to hear back soon!

Dear Wrkl8nod8, Well now we know who the mystery patient Dr K had done that day. Ha! We were all wondering. We all had met each other but didn"t know who you were. My husband has done great no diarrhea but lots of swelling in his upper abdomen. Goes down at night and reswells during the day. I fell this is normal because many have talked about it here on the boards. Good Luck to you you might want to call Dr K about the diarrhea and see if you can take something OTC like immodium it comes in liquid and also try deinking Gatorade I know it is full of sugar but you are in the healing phase right now and the extra calories and sugar are not going to hurt you unless you are diabetic.

sunrise096.jpg

Goodmorning Friends! It was great to read your updates. I'm glad you all enjoyed the photos. I have more and last night was a blazing glory of fantasy. Only got a few in my photobucket from yesterday so will show the rest of them to you later this evening when I get home.

"At any rate, my question is this it's been a week now and I still have diarrhea and although I've gone back to work, I am still very tired. Is this normal????" --wrkl8nod8

Welcome WRKL8nod8! Glad to have you coming out to us. To answer your question, "normal" is relevant to the individual. I can tell you that I did have those symptoms and just went with it. For three weeks I was fairly tired. Never hesitate to call Dr. K. He is wonderful to call you back and take his time. ( I sometimes find myself dismayed that he is so very patient and methodical with us all as I rarely see this with medical professionals. They typically seem rushed.) Metimusal powder, orange flavor, in my drinking Water, really helped the diarhea for me. I wish I had known about this tip years ago. Good luck.

LEAVES!! OH MAN WILL I GET THERE SOON ENOUGH?

I cannot wait to take tons of photos. I laughed along with you littleroo1 as my photobucket files max at 1000 and I have nine files with two being full. The odds are there. Can you imagine being Annie Levowitz? ((wow))

sunrise087.jpg

I will be there in Colorado in exactly three weeks from today!!! The only commitment I have is with Dr. K on the 11th at 11 AM. My plans are to take my two cameras and head for the hills or head where the color is.

August251.jpg

can't wait to see you all. Tell me where THE GATHERING is. How many do we expect? Seeing you all soon...THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!!

My cameras are a Kodak Power Shot 5.0 and a Canon 8.0 (model numbers escape me at the moment). I will have them with me when I come west.

FEELING SPUNKY! Catch you all later. ((patty))

Neeener003-1.jpg

want2b~I just love to read your posts...they are great!!! I had the same prob...I started increasing the Fiber. I use BeneFiber, it is great, it has no taste and you can mix in just about anything. I get mine from Sam's but Walmart has it and I get it there sometimes too (since I spend my life at Wal Mart). Anyway, I hope that helps. I usually put mine in my morning coffee or my Crystal light on the go, it works great for me.

Lap~You silly girl!!! Your pic is great, I can REALLY see the weight loss...I am soooo happy for ya'!!!

Little~I absolutly LOVE your pics!!!! I have looked at them three times!!! AWESOME shots!

wrk~WELCOME...we just love having new lurkers come out! I have a hard time keeping up with individuals, but I try my best.

Congrats on your band...sorry to hear about the "D"...I never had that prob...LADIES???

I hope you are feeling better soon and I hope to hear more of you around here!

Thank you all so much for the kind greetings and the information. I combined my surgery trip with a business trip so I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Aurora. That was nice because my husband could work and watch TV in one room while I slept in the other.

The "d" is getting better, not as frequent and less and less as I add more solid foods. I really don't feel like I'm recovering like I should be. want2be-did you think it would be easier than this? I sure did and I'm no stranger to surgery as I am a "momit" (I have kids, but lost my inside girl parts), and I have given up just about every organ you can for the sake of health and still be alive, plus 2 c-sections. I've read about people working out days after surgery on these forums :omg: ...how can that be? I can't even work out a problem without fatigue. Please let me know what Marilyn says...I would be very appreciative!

So, stephaniez and want2be-to give you a hint at who I am :bandit. I believe I was in the dr's office at the same time as a few of you on the 10th. My appointment was at 4:00 and I came in in full business regal, after making sales calls all day. Blonde hair, Black clothes. I was sitting directly across from NY, who, by the way, kept falling asleep and snoring-:notagree he cracks me up! The cutest couple of gals were sitting against the back wall giggling and whispering while waiting.

Hi all -

Sorry about the post op stuff, it is really an individual thing. I think Benefiber is great, however, now several months later I don't need it any more.

Lap - I hate to tell you but the trees in the mountains are peaking this weekend, hence Mal's yurt trip (how fun!).

I am frantically working on my audit. I hate the IRS. yadda....yadda.

Hugs all,

Michelle