Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Step To A Healthier Life

I am new to this page and looking for help and info so first here is my story and a little bit about me.

I have battled my weight for many years with different diet fads that were on the market, diet programs, etc. For several years now I have debated the weightloss surgery and as of March 21, 2013, I have made my decision after going to a seminar. I am gonna do this!! Some may say "oh, so you're gonna take the easy road?". No, this is not the easy road by far!! There is a lot of decisions, determination, life changing matters that MUST be done in order to complete the process that leads up to what will become your "new birthday", most importantly LOTS of PRAYER.

I have a wonderful husband that is supporting me and willing to take each step of the way with me. He went with me to my first consultation appointment on March 27, 2013 and that is the start to my new beginning. My next appointment will be May 14, 2013 where I will then meet with a dietician and the psychiatrist, this is just a process I guess to assure them that I am not crazy or whatever (although my husband says differently lol jk).

I am scared, nervous and excited all rolled in together!! My Lord has it all worked out and He will calm my fears along the way. I pray for my family as I begin that God will watch over them and calm their fears toward anything especially this journey. I want to be healthier for my kids, husband and able to be more active. I want to teach them a new way of life as far as being healthy and eating right.

Any suggestions, inputs and just simply extra info for what I need to be prepared for along the way will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-55260-1381366425939_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome! There's quite a bit of information on this forum. I read just about every day. I had a 6 month process prior to the surgery that I was able to get enough info from here that I did not feel nervous about the surgery at all. Good luck with your journey!

Hi and welcome! There's quite a bit of information on this forum. I read just about every day. I had a 6 month process prior to the surgery that I was able to get enough info from here that I did not feel nervous about the surgery at all. Good luck with your journey!

Thank you!! I just found this app yesterday and I have enjoyed what I have read so far.

Hi, Congrats on your decision, you won't regret it. My story is same as yours, battled with my weight from childhood. I am three months out, and would not change a thing. 1/2/13 (day of surgery) was a new beginning for me, and each day it gets better.. You will do great.. Good Luck!

There are quite a number of indicators in your post that you will be successful. Many here have been through this without support from family and friends but still came out on top. You are blessed to have husband on board. It also appears that you have researched this out and that you are willing to learn and do what it takes emotionally and mentally to conquer the weight. Prayer was a huge factor for me as well.

Many of these forum sub-sections have stickies: threads that are on top. In those threads is a wealth of information. Questions can also be researched using the search box at the top using key words.

Certainly not least is the fact that you can ask any question here whether it has been covered before or not. There are veterans and near veterans who are used to the same questions and are more than willing to answer them. We all had those questions when we started.

Don't be afraid to vent your feelings. This is an emotional journey. I can't say everyone here is empathetic but I can say the vast majority are.

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

Welcome! Come on in and kick your shoes off. I think there's a seat over on the couch, and plenty of Water to drink. We can even scare up some diet-appropriate flavorings for it if you like!

It's pretty much a big family around here. There are sometimes very vocal differences of opinion, but in the end it's a pretty affectionate and caring bunch who are happy to help . I know I'm glad to meet you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

Thank you all for your sweet comments!! I have done a good bit of research on this and feel pretty confident. Thanks again for the warm welcomes!!

gmanbat

I can't say everyone here is empathetic but I can say the vast majority are.

space dust

It's pretty much a big family around here. There are sometimes very vocal differences of opinion, but in the end it's a pretty affectionate and caring bunch who are happy to help .

have to say first i love the tact - LOL - well put!!!! :)

i/we find the good in most people here

we're a terrific gang - secret handshake and all!!!! :lol:

congrats on making the wise decision to have WLS

yes - very glad/important you have support of DH and others to follow

"what should you be prepared for??"

the ride of a lifetime - you'll have some bumps, ups and down - but you'll do great!!!!

get ready to enjoy a healthier, happier, longer life

hope your WLS will be sooner than later

take care

good luck

I love this post! Welcome welcome welcome. It's so honest. You will do awesome. Oh and make friends on here. There are some really inspirational stories to be shared. I personally enjoy the chat room because you can get to know people a lil better.

My husband has a question regarding me having the sleeve and I'm ashamed to even ask :(

He ask if I will lose my sex drive or do u even notice a change?

I've heard you actually GAIN a sex drive. But I haven't been sleeved yet.

I've heard you actually GAIN a sex drive. But I haven't been sleeved yet.

I want have mine until middle of September and that is the one main thing he is concerned about lol

will lose my sex drive or do u even notice a change?

SmileyJo

hmmmm, tell your hubby to relax :) actually he will be post sex ;)

did I really say that :D :D

due to the fact that you will be loosing weight - you and dh will find sex easier and more "comfortable" and fun :wub:

I am new, also. I learned about this site at a support group meeting. I have learned so much from the others. I am four months into my six month process. I read every day. It helps me feel reassured that I have made the right decision and that I can do it. I too found out I'm not crazy, much to my hubby's amazement. lol.

Looking forward to learning more every day.