Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any locals?

All set for tomorrow... don't forget to bring your Water...

HAPPY BIRTHYDAY!!! tax day baby..... look ahead to tomorrow and next year. All of us will be so much smaller, healthier and celebrating.

See everyone that can make it to the walking path tomorrow night.

:biggrin: Lynn

Thanks everyone! I Celebrate my birthday for about a week or so, so even if the wishes are a smidge late, I take them! :crying:

I'm looking forward to walking with you all tonight. It goes so much quicker when there are people to talk to. I have tried to take a radio or something, but the reception is always not that great. Sometimes when I walk by myself I am distracted, but some times I am counting every .1 mile!

See ya all tonight!

Happy Birthday!!! :rolleyes2::thumbup::biggrin:

Consider getting yourself an Ipod for your birthday. DH got me one shortly after I started at the gym. I didn't think it would, but It helps a LOT. And I'm not even into music all that much. You get something with a good beat, and it makes all the difference.

When I don't have my music, I watch every second on the treadmill timer. It's torture. :tongue:

I hope everyone enjoyed their walk! I wish I could go, but I have childcare issues. *sigh*

Hello everyone, my name is Jessica and I live in Dover, DE. I am planning on calling the doctor tomorrow and get a consult, I am self pay and I "only" have $10,000 saved up and I am almost positive that isn't enough! So I am depressed about that but I'm hoping he offers payment plans or something can work out! My question is this, I have a 21 month old little boy, hyper as anything. How long should I ask my mom to come stay and help after the surgery? Will I be able to lift him, he weighs about 28 lbs.

Thanks, so glad I found this forum.

Jessica:)

No way! Fairysaddle, you are so right about the music. I had an iPod for a year before I started using it then my son (who gave it to me of Christmas) was coming up for a visit so I thought I had better get it out of the box at least. Man, I don't know how I EVER got through a workout without it! Now I use the MP3 player in my phone and my husband is hooked on the iPod. He was adamant about not wanting to use the ear buds, until he used them for one workout, now he hates working out without the music. Time flies whether you are having fun or not, so you might as well enjoy it!

Jessicak1979: What doctor are you calling. I went with my aunt last night to the seminar at Christiana (Dr. Wynn) and after speaking with them about her insurance I learned that they get most insurances to pay for the hospital part, it is the surgeons fee that you have to pay and that is $6,000 for the band, so you might not be as far off as you think if you are going there.

If you are going to the practice in Salisbury, MD :) (not sure where in DE you live), well, they will charge you full fare for everything and you will pay the whole $20-25k yourself. Besides, I would definitely opt for Dr. Wynn's practice anyway.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

Laura

I have Coventry Insurance and I called them and they pay for NO weight loss measures of any kind. I called a while back about the lapband and they said no...bummer! Yes, the practice I am calling is Dr. Wynn, do I have to go to the seminar and all that kind of stuff if I am paying out of pocket?

I had my surgery 3/19 with Dr. Wynn. I am not sure about self pay, but there are ceryin preop clesrances that they do require and most insurances will cover them, cardio, pulmonology, endo. Talkw with HopeInApril, she was self pay for surgery.

The seminar is very informative. And if you have insurance, payment questions they will have you talk with Misty, she is the insurance wizz of the office.

I was told no lifting over 10# for 4 weeks, and have just hit that mark.

Good luck, and let us know how things are going ..

Lynn

Jessica,

I have no idea about the self-pay thing. My DH is self-employed, so our insurance stinks. We pay quite a bit more for insurance than for our mortgage, and have incredibly high copays and no dental. :thumbup: But, at least they paid a big chunk of it. We're just about $6,000 in the hole. So I feel for you. Good luck!

(Sorry for the insurance rant - you can expect to hear it every time insurance comes up in any conversation. Insurance *&$%s in this country!!! It is single-handedly destroying small businesses. I'll apologize for this and all future rants now. LOL!)

As for your son... Personally, I went for my first consultation when DD was about your son's age. I elected to put it off a year for that reason. But, in retrospect, it really isn't that tough of a surgery. I probably could have done it. I had a lot of help for, I think, 3 days before I flew solo with her after surgery. We did fine. But she was over a year older than your son, and that makes a big difference. If you have your surgery over the summer, perhaps you could hire a young teen to be a mother's helper for a week or two?

If your Mom will stay, I would try for at least 6 days. You will be pretty sore at first. The pain actually gets worse for about 4-5 days, then it starts to get better pretty rapidly. Start working with your son now, train him to wait until you sit down, then work together so that you are helping him climb into your lap, rather than lifting his whole weight. Also, work on picking him up in ways that don't stress your abdominal muscles. Bend at the knees or pick him up from the side.

Good luck! And welcome. :biggrin2:

Hi Everyone!

Hi Jessica: I just sent you an email. Let me know if you have any other questions. As far as the seminar, it is not required, but you may want to attend one. I actually saw Dr. Peters and then later that night went to the seminar. It was a little redundant, but I did get some new information and a head start on getting my surgery.

Fairy: Good idea. I have toyed with the idea of getting a ipod or MP3 player. I have music on my phone, but never really thought about using it. I may now!

Oh and don't worry about the insurance rant. I HATE my company. It drives me absolutely nuts I had to pay for this surgery. I will use what influence I can to get my company to change carriers.

Laura: Congrats on being in the under 25 club. I am pea-green with envy. :tt2:

Delaware: Last night you mentioned being weak and light headed and such. I had one experience about that before and then again today. Today was a little different. I went to the store and bought some Protein stuff. I finally ate 2 lo fat cheese sticks because I wasn't getting any better. That seem to help. According to Sam, (Dietician), we have more Protein needs the larger we are. The numbers they give us are minimums. Even though I always hit the minimum, I think I need close to 90-100 grams a day. If I were you, I'd call the doctor's office. They may move you up to mushies! :tt1:

Walking - OK, I have to admit that you guys kicked my butt last night. When I routinely walked 3 times a week, I got up to 3 miles an hour. Last night we started at about 3 miles an hour. It motivates me to walk more this week so next week I am not huffing and puffing and sweating like I was.

Good note - some cute guy said hi. I didn't even see him until he said "hi". It made me smile. ;)

I am sad. I cannot go walking this Wednesday, I have a meeting to go to. However, is anyone is interested in going walking on Sunday(tomorrow)? Let me know.

Hi Delaware:

I can walk tomorrow. Do you want to walk at 896/40 or in Newark? The only time that is bad for me is 1-2 in the afternoon. I have to admit I would prefer to do it in the morning.