Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any locals?

Hi everyone!

I guess it is tough for us to get online in the summer! I have been so busy I have barely been checking my email.

366 - Yes, that is one of the terrible things about the band. The hunger does come back after surgery. Then you play the fill game until you hit the sweet spot! I hope Dr. Wynn put you on mushies. I remember that Lynn was able to do mushies at around 2 weeks.

I had my second fill and am still hungry at times. I went back to the diet plan I had from the 1st dietician I saw. It seems to be working. I bounced around the same few pounds, but they are coming off SLOWLY now. I have a grand total of 6 cc in my band, but Dr. Peters doesn't want to see me until the end of July.

Most things are going really great, but I had another medical issue crop up. I guess that is how life is sometimes. I am really hoping it doesn't side track my weight loss. I am really anxious to get on with it.

Well, I hope everyone is having a wonderful June. It sure has been hot!

As for most of us, busy is an understatement.

HopeInApril - sure hope that your medical issues are not serious. it is tough to keep up with a proper diet and routine when thing put you off track.

366- how are you feeling. did you get onto mushies? Did you get an appt set up for yout first fill?

On 6/5 I was hoping to get my 2nd fill, but Dr. Wynn said no!! :lol: Said I was doing well as I was, average 2# per week..Also since I was having issues with some meats: tight feeling and pain.. she did not want me to be too tight and not able to eat anything but mushies.... I have been able to keep on track.. but had my Protein intake boosted to 80-90 gms daily. my 3 month bloodwork showed my Iron was low... and I know i am getting in the 60-65 gm protein a day. trying to get in the extra has been tough..

I am heading out of town next weekend, and have little control on what food I am getting..visiting lots of friends back in Rochester, NY..and getting in my exercixe will be tough.

Keep up the good work everyone :cursing:

Hi Lynn:

I am hoping this medical thing doesn't knock me off track. The mental part did for a day or so, but now I am back on track.

I'm sure you will do OK on your trip. It sure is tough when you don't control the food. Do they know about your surgery? I am guessing that they don't. I have found that for the most part I have been able to eat in the world. It is the carb loaded places that do give me a little grief. I'm sure you will do well!

It kind of sucks that Dr. Wynn wouldn't give you another fill. I haven't been loosing so Dr. Peters had no problem adding 2cc more. He told me it was an aggressive fill. I have to admit that I still don't have much restriction. Occasionally if I eat some meat that is dry or don't chew it well, I get a pain in my shoulder. I really hope Dr. Peters gives me another fill as I don't think I am there yet. Of course, after the "aggressive fill" he didn't want to see me again for 2 months. Too funny!

OK - anyone else on the board these days? Just Lynn and I chatting with each other? :sad::frown:

Edited by hopeinapril

I'm here. But I'm still waiting for my surgery so I'm just trying to read and learn. I'm still trying to decide about which band to get. I don't understand why some people have trouble with restriction. Maybe I'll learn more about that in my August classes.

Caelyn:

Hi! When you say that you don't understand the problems with restriction, what do you mean? I don't have much restriction, so for me that is a problem. Some folks have too much restriction and have trouble eating. Is that what you mean?

I guess I was worried that after having the band placed I wouldn't have enough restriction. That's why I want to make sure I choose the correct band, either REALIZE or the Lap Band.

I have the regular band and I think HopeInApril has the realize. the profi;le of the port is smaller with the realize band and the inner circumference of the actual band is smoother with realize. from all i had read and heard there is not much other difference. I have a large AP band and it holds 14cc, so a fill for me of a few cc is average. if you have the AP-small you may only have a few tenths of a cc per fill.

Your restriction is talking about how much you can eat before feeling full. Right now I can eat up to 2 cups at a meal, but that dpeends on the consisitency of the food. i had a large salad for lunch today and i was fine, but if eating chicken or beef I may only be able to take in a few ounces.

Thanks for the info. What's the differance between the large and small AP band? I don't mean to be asking dumb questions? I quess the doctor decides which one you get.

Hi everyone!

Caelyn: You can choose to have a lapband or realize band, but the doctor will choose which size. They pick the one that will suit your insides the best.

You should know also that how much Fluid they put in the band will vary per person. Two people can have the exact same band with the exact same cc of saline inside and they will have very different feelings as far as restriction goes. There is a man on another thread I frequent who has surgery in early March and has not had any fills at all and is still loosing weight. He is a very large man with a substantial amount of weight to loose and it could be that he has some restriction with only the band in.

I think it is difficult to predict how much you will need in the way of fills before you actually have the surgery. In all honesty there are few differences between the 2 bands. I think Lynn described them very well.

Hope this helps!

Hope,

That helps so much. You and Lynn have both been so great and I do appreciate it. I think when I finally get to attend the classes in August a lot of the questions will be answered....or maybe not!!!

Caelyn,

you will just be more informed and have more questions to ask, being educated on this whole process is the bigest benefit you can give yourself as you go through the process

HopeInApril - I know just who you are speaking about and I am still amazed he is losing so well without a fill. and we all lose at a different rate and need fills of varying amounts and at varying intervals. tnere is no "one size fits all" when it comes with individuals and the band.

Also, hope all goes well with the biopsy..

Hi Lynn:

Thanks for the well wishes. I expect it is nothing. Since I work with lawyers, I am well aware that doctors can't tell you everything will be OK, because they really don't know.

Caelyn - questions are the best way to learn. Educate yourself as much as you can. You can never know too much.

Hey guys. Have not checked in for awhile. I have been busy packing. I close on my new house this weekend. So lots to do in the next week. Looking forward to the day when this is all done and I am settled. Glad to have Lynn to exercise wiht and keep me motivated on a regular basis. I see Dr Wynn this Friday (why did I book that appointment right before the closing?), so I will keep all of you informed. I try to weigh myself regularly at the YMCA, but the scale at CHRIAS is the one I go by. Really glad I did the surgery. Feel better than I have in years. Actually have energy! And starting to feel a little less "fluffy" now. That is a PLUS!!! Paulette you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope all is well with you. Please keep me informed. Also, I have tried to add you as a friend; however, I must be doing something wrong. Because I am not under your list of friends.

Lisa