Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you have paid without insurance coverage?

If I don't lose 1 more pound every dollar of the 16k would be worth it - there is no price tag for how great I feel.

I've posted my 2 month post-op video on YouTube. Tell me I don't feel like a million bucks :-)

I, too, was denied by insurance. I went to KC Dr. Hoehn of KC Bariatric. It was about $14,000 by the time it was all said and done.

I was self pay. Live in the Dallas area. $12,200. all inclusive. Follow ups for life. Only 12 days out but a deal at twice the price!

So' date=' I have been denied twice and my appeal was just denied by UHC! My BMI is about 38 and I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2011. Insurance is stating that I would have to have the co-morbidity for 5 years in addition to the 5 years of weight history since I am below a BMI of 40. I have struggled with weight my entire life. I am 49 years old and I don't see this changing. I've lost weight several times over the years just to regain it, plus more! My parents both died in their mid 60's. both had high blood pressure and were overweight probably about the same as me as far as BMI. So, my question is..... Looking back at what you achieved, would you have gone through this having to pay yourself? I am not comfortable at this point going to Mexico so I will be checking with my doctor to see what he will charge me with no assistance from insurance. I am guessing around 20k. Thanks in advance for your feedback![/quote']

I self paid. BMI was 35. Was able to get Care Credit 12 months no interest so that at least will enable me to break out payments over time. Was sleeved on 3-14.

I wrote earlier I self paid and didn't go thru my insurance. I ended up at ER day 3 post up due to dehydration from nausea due to pain meds. The bill was $2300. My insurance does not pay for anything related to elective surgery that did not go though them. Lucky for me the ER coded as dehydration so $1700 was paid but I still have additional $500 bill. My Dr also submitted blood work etc in as acid reflux and that was paid.

Mexico seems to be a great option. I just received the "bill" that was supposedly paid by my insurance co. $73,000!!! WTH? Insurance and medical practices, this is why the system is so messed up... I wish you the best!

Yes...my insurance does not cover bariatric surgery so I paid myself. Best money I ever spent!

Mexico seems to be a great option. I just received the "bill" that was supposedly paid by my insurance co. 73' date='000!!! WTH? Insurance and medical practices, this is why the system is so messed up... I wish you the best![/quote']

That is ridiculas that is why insurance is so high.

I also got my total bill about a month ago ready... 65000 and they havent even added in the prostetic part of it. The staples are 12000. I have insurance I only paid 956.00. And to answer your question yes I would pay for it if I had to. But I would have to go to Mexico.

Self pay. Another Mexico sleever here and very very happy with my choice.

Dr. Fernando Garcia

Self pay. Another Mexico sleever here and very very happy with my choice.

Dr. Fernando Garcia

Very happy for you and your joy shows in your picture. Cheers.

I would definitely have to go to Mexico for surgery if my insurance didn't approve me. I already owe over $50k in student loans so have no idea where I would find the extra money. Lotto maybe??

I was denied by my insurance and had to pay for my surgery here in Orlando. It cost me $15,000....I am 5 days post op and I know that this journey and a new lease on life is going to be worth every penny spent and I would do it over in a heartbeat! Good luck to everyone!