Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on Wednesday at about 4pm. I woke up in the recovery room in severe pain and naseau.

Took me a while to shake that off, then eventually they brought me to my room. Although I dont remember getting to the room just being their.

I was not on a morphine pump instead they gave my dilauted. Apparently a very high dose as the nurse kept reminding me as though it bothered her.

My pain level in the hospital for the most part ran about 4-5-6 I did not sleep the one night in the hospital ( I only stayed one night) I was comfortable for the most part, my right upper quadrant incision where they removed my stomach was really the worst of it. That and the itching. I finally took the leq squeezers off they use to prevent blood clots off becuase they made me itch like I was in a torcher chamber. I dosed off for about 45 minutes at a time. They also gave me Zolfran for nauseau.

Which worked well. In the hospital I drank Water mainly from a sponge stick, and the second day I was able to drink most of an Optifast carmel Protein Shake (pretty good but I heard they are expensive)

I read these boards enough to know that I needed to walk as much as I could and thats what I did.

I think I got myself up and walked at least 6 times during the middle of the night, despite how uncomfortable and exhuasting it was. I also made myself drink, sip, suck as much water mainly at first from the sponge stick, but then graduation to drinking it from a one ounce cup. Drinking fluids gave me a full feeling that was uncomfortable, Then I would stop and wait for it to pass and start over. I knew from reading these boards that those were a priority and I knew I wanted the best outcome.

I was released from the hospital yesterday (Thursday) around 4:30 pm. I had taken a shower and had a general sound and good feeling.

I had a 2.5 hour trip home in the car, so I decided not to take any pain medications, afraid they would make me car sick.

By the time I got home I was in immense pain, exhaustion, nauseau. I went down to my bed and felt like I was or wanted to die. I had gotten myself in a postion where I was too ill to take pain pills, I was starting to dry heave and I was beyond exhausted from not sleeping at the hospital. I forced the water just a tiny bit and passed out for 1 hour, when I woke up I knew I was going to throw up. And I also knew that doing so was going to be hell on my incisions. And I was right, I tried to hold my stomach as best as I could and I wished that I could actually throw up and get it over with but it was just the dry heaves. The nurse who discharged me told me that I would have to call in the morning to get a script for anti nauseau. So I had nothing to fend off the nauseau all night last night..GRRR not a good idea. Always go home from the hospital with nausuea medicine in hand.

Throughout the night I would wake up every 2 hours and suck water off my sponge and walk in my room. Getting in and out of bed was excruciating, but again the importance of that was pounded in my head from this forum. Last night was HELL. I will be honest. I am hoping for better days ahead. I always searched these boards for true accounts of the first couple days so I hope accounting mine will prepare you in a positive way.

Brighter days are just around the corner! I had my surgery on Tuesday. I, just lie you, stayed one night at the hospital, had horrible bouts of nausea (except mine had me vomiting and dry heaving the whole time I was in the hospital).

I had the morphine plain pump, I would never have touched that stuff if I would have known how much it would contribute to my nausea. Every time I sat up, or got out of bed, I vomited. They gave me an abdominal binder which helped a TON! I Ha an 1 1/2 hr car ride home, no nausea meds. I just remember closing my eyes and praying that I could make it home without vomiting. I did. Literally. As soon as my daughter opened my car door, I was face first into my vomit bag. Of course nothing but foam was coming out anytime I would vomit. Thy have me Tylonal with codeine for my pain. I downed some of that and chewed up a simethicone tablet (for the gas). I pretty much decided to camp out on the couch for now. I tried laying in my bed and it was just too flat for comfort. I will tell you the first morning that I woke up at home, I felt better. The nausea was gone. Gas pains still linger and my abdomen is sore but nothing too bad.

Hang in there! It DOES get better. ;)

I had nausea the first 6 hours after surgery. It was awful and painful. After that the morphine and anti-nausea meds took care of the last 18 hrs in the hospital. My Dr. sent me home with a liquid pain med. I have a 4 hour ride home but luckily my best friend lives in the Kansas City where I had my surgery so I stayed a week with her and her family. Between my hubby and my best friend (who happens to be a nurse) I was very well cared for. It does get better with each passing day. In a week you'll be saying "it was so worth it!".

Oh, I'm so sorry for your awful experience. Keep on sippin', it really does help.

Sorry your having such a rough time, I'm sure as everyone has said that each day it will get better..My surgery is scheduled for April 2nd so I'm alittle nervous about it. I'm wondering why everyone is so nauseous, is that from the anesthesia? I've had surgery before and wasnt' nauseous from the anesthesia then, so hopefully I won't be? Feel better soon.

Sorry your having such a rough time, I'm sure as everyone has said that each day it will get better..My surgery is scheduled for April 2nd so I'm alittle nervous about it. I'm wondering why everyone is so nauseous, is that from the anesthesia? I've had surgery before and wasnt' nauseous from the anesthesia then, so hopefully I won't be? Feel better soon.

I had my surgery feb 18th and never had one bit of nausea. I feel for those who have because the force of puking right after surgery has got to be horrible :(

Sorry your having such a rough time' date=' I'm sure as everyone has said that each day it will get better..My surgery is scheduled for April 2nd so I'm alittle nervous about it. I'm wondering why everyone is so nauseous, is that from the anesthesia? I've had surgery before and wasnt' nauseous from the anesthesia then, so hopefully I won't be? Feel better soon.[/quote']

I honestly have no idea why my nausea was so bad. Like I said in my previous post, they gave me several doses of zofran for the nausea, and it didn't help at all. My nurse did tell me that nausea can be a side effect of the surgery itself. And that it can last for up to a month! ANYONE hat has to deal with that for a month, I pity! I used my Morohine pain pump a few times, and I think that might have contributed to the nausea, as well as the anesthesia and the gas. It could be a combination of things. The good thing is, what where issues for me, may not even affect you! ;) or the next person. These forums are great for sharing experiences, but please don't ever let anyone's "horror story" let you worry! :)

True I am prone to being nauseaus. in the back of a car, carnival rides, plane rides, pregnancy..maybe that pre disposes you to a better a chance at being nauseaus. Something to consider.

True I am prone to being nauseaus. in the back of a car' date=' carnival rides, plane rides, pregnancy..maybe that pre disposes you to a better a chance at being nauseaus. Something to consider.[/quote']

Could be something to consider. I am usually good about not having nausea issues. I have had general anesthetic once before and had no issues. So.... I'm at a loss as to why mine was so intense this time around.

I had my sleeve this past Monday the 25th. I was only allowed to use the wet sponge for my lips and not allowed to drink anything until my leak test the following day. I wasn't hungry and I wasn't nauseas. The next day I had my leak test and passed with flying colors. Once the results came through it was already almost 2pm so the brought me broth, sorbet and tea. I didn't want any of it. This is when the nausea started kicking in. I couldn't get much down. They brought me another round about 5pm and I tried again. I was able to get more down. I was a little bummed because my blood pressure was acting up and they wouldn't let me do any walking. Finally they let me walk about an hour before going home. As I was getting ready to go home I started vomiting. They gave me my anti nausea prescription and sent me on my way. As my husband was driving me home all I could think is that I've done this to myself and its my fault for feeling the way I did. I kept thinking there's no going back and how scared I was.

Now it's Friday, feeling much better....still trying to get my liquids in and I'm so tired of Jello, broth, Isopure and water! I just want pudding and warm creamed Soups but that's not a go until I see my doc next Thursday and I get the green light! Grrrr

Sorry your having such a rough time' date=' I'm sure as everyone has said that each day it will get better..My surgery is scheduled for April 2nd so I'm alittle nervous about it. I'm wondering why everyone is so nauseous, is that from the anesthesia? I've had surgery before and wasnt' nauseous from the anesthesia then, so hopefully I won't be? Feel better soon.[/quote']

I've never had nausea before. I had my surgery on Tuesday and was released Wednesday. Yesterday when I got up I tried walking and was immediately hit with the feeling I would vomit, but I didn't...it was just watery. Same thing happened today and I was only sitting. They did send me home with anti nausea Patches. My first day home was bad, and my second day was worst than the first. Today only three days after surgery, I feel descent. Don't know if I'm prepared to go to work on Monday though.

How soon after surgery did you all go back to work?

I've never had nausea before. I had my surgery on Tuesday and was released Wednesday. Yesterday when I got up I tried walking and was immediately hit with the feeling I would vomit' date=' but I didn't...it was just watery. Same thing happened today and I was only sitting. They did send me home with anti nausea Patches. My first day home was bad, and my second day was worst than the first. Today only three days after surgery, I feel descent. Don't know if I'm prepared to go to work on Monday though.

How soon after surgery did you all go back to work?[/quote']

I took two weeks off. I figured that would give me a week to heal and then a week to adjust to the "eating"

Oh okay. I only took one week off. I didn't tell anyone I was getting this done. Guess I will be calling in sick for another week.

I've never had nausea before. I had my surgery on Tuesday and was released Wednesday. Yesterday when I got up I tried walking and was immediately hit with the feeling I would vomit' date=' but I didn't...it was just watery. Same thing happened today and I was only sitting. They did send me home with anti nausea Patches. My first day home was bad, and my second day was worst than the first. Today only three days after surgery, I feel descent. Don't know if I'm prepared to go to work on Monday though.

How soon after surgery did you all go back to work?[/quote']

Two weeks for me. Thank goodness. There is no way I could have gone back in a week.

Day 2 was a nightmare but just a dim memory by Day 4. My doctor (Dr Pompa in TJ) told me I would feel much better each day but it was hard to believe at that moment. I actually went walking thru the mall with my mother for 2 hours Day 4 to kill time. Try to remember to take just 1 oz at a time in tiny sips ( I used a baby food spoon), then wait 20 minutes if you are feeling sick still. Good sleep and walking will be key to your recovery and mental health. When in doubt, stay with Clear liquids (Water, chicken broth) until your stomach is stabilized. About once a week, I have felt overly confident (generally late at night) and taken a bite of something I should not have and up it comes a few minutes later.

Hang it there- this is the best thing I could have done and even at my worst (day 2) I don't regret it.