Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

OK, I just talked with Dr. Spivak's nurse and asked her the purpose of the soft foods as opposed to solid foods. She said that it's about giving you time to adjust to the band and preventing discomfort when eating. If you're not accustomed to your band and you overeat solid food, you'll get a sensation in your chest like a heart attack from the pressure on your band. I asked her about the issue of giving the stomach time to form scar tissue around the band, and she said that it was really more about your own discomfort. I asked about asparagus and she said just to be careful of fiberous foods because they can put more pressure on the band.

Ok and that has happened to me 2 times this week. Had I not known what it was I would have died. I popped a piece of chicken in my mouth, forgot about the band, forgot to chew and OH MY GOD, I thought I was going to die! CHEW, CHEW, CHEW. Scary stuff. I got over it and it went down in about 4 minutes but it was the longest 4 minutes of my life

Good morning everyone! I have another question for y'all.

My bowels are going crazy on me! And as it would happen, my doc's office is closed this weekend, and the answering service is no help. Can anyone tell me what instructions (if any) they were were given for diarrhea? I swear there is more liquid coming out that end than I'm putting in. I'm worried about getting dehydrated! Sorry to be a gross-out so early in the morning!

Maria

Pleae add me to Jan. Bandsters

Deb-Texas

banded Jan. 19th

Dr. Spivak

Also, can anyone tell me when the support group in Humble, Texas is meeting, can not find the thread where I had previously read about them.:help:

Thxs,

Deb

So now comes the doubts again. More so, am I prepared at home? I have enough canned Soups to provide for a small country in Africa! Heating pad, Gas X, etc. I actually took the list from here, and checked everything off. The one thing I'll pick up today is the New whey liquid Protein, and Benefiber. I have always been one with loose bowels, can't imagine constipation!!! I'll be up on that!

The other doubts; about my surgical team. Can they be sure to keep me asleep (not waking up during surgery), as I've said - huge fear of mine. And someone mentioned on here to keep my hands moving, so they're sure I'm not yet under anesthesia.

Then i looked at all the scars. Scars don't scare me, stitches, none of that. What I keep wondering, and I'm not even sure I want to know the answer; how do they get the tools 'down in the belly'? Somehow, I imagine getting poked like a turkey with a heat thermometer before it goes in the over. Poke, Poke, Poke! UGHHHHHHHHH, I gross myself out thinking about it.

As for Monday, the day before where I can't eat anything, I've filled my day with tasks;shopping for new slippers, mani/pedi, color my mom's hair, etc.

THREE days to a new beginning.:clap2:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Babygotback - THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS! 15 pounds and counting!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Your going to be so skinny - I bet you'll reach your goal BEFORE 1 year!

My goal is my 12 year anniverary, July 1st. So, I need to get my butt to the gym!!:faint:

I have been dying to know what your loss was. I am so happy for you. I can't believe that I only have 3 days to go and I will be banded the following morning!!!! Excited, anxious, nervous, etc.....:faint:

You will do great! :clap2:

Ok and that has happened to me 2 times this week. Had I not known what it was I would have died. I popped a piece of chicken in my mouth, forgot about the band, forgot to chew and OH MY GOD, I thought I was going to die! CHEW, CHEW, CHEW. Scary stuff. I got over it and it went down in about 4 minutes but it was the longest 4 minutes of my life

Oh man!!! I am so SCARED to PB!!!!!

Good morning everyone! I have another question for y'all.

My bowels are going crazy on me! And as it would happen, my doc's office is closed this weekend, and the answering service is no help. Can anyone tell me what instructions (if any) they were were given for diarrhea? I swear there is more liquid coming out that end than I'm putting in. I'm worried about getting dehydrated! Sorry to be a gross-out so early in the morning!

Maria

I noticed I had diahrea after surgury too. I was told I would get diahrea if I didn't Water down my juice and gatorade,etc. But I didn't Water down the gatorade. She said I might have diahrea.

Also, all the liquids kept me like that for about a week!

So now comes the doubts again. More so, am I prepared at home? I have enough canned Soups to provide for a small country in Africa! Heating pad, Gas X, etc. I actually took the list from here, and checked everything off. The one thing I'll pick up today is the New Whey liquid Protein, and Benefiber. I have always been one with loose bowels, can't imagine constipation!!! I'll be up on that!

The other doubts; about my surgical team. Can they be sure to keep me asleep (not waking up during surgery), as I've said - huge fear of mine. And someone mentioned on here to keep my hands moving, so they're sure I'm not yet under anesthesia.

Then i looked at all the scars. Scars don't scare me, stitches, none of that. What I keep wondering, and I'm not even sure I want to know the answer; how do they get the tools 'down in the belly'? Somehow, I imagine getting poked like a turkey with a heat thermometer before it goes in the over. Poke, Poke, Poke! UGHHHHHHHHH, I gross myself out thinking about it.

As for Monday, the day before where I can't eat anything, I've filled my day with tasks;shopping for new slippers, mani/pedi, color my mom's hair, etc.

I suggest you just don't think about how they do it. My curiousity got the best of me and I watched a video on the whole surgery. I wish I hadn't. It will be okay!

Hello everyone,

I was banded on January 25th, two days ago. I ended up having to stay over night in the hospital. I was suppose to be in and out. Since I am self-pay that didn't exactly thrill me. But anyway, I'm home now. I felt really ill yesterday. I was trying to drink an ounce of liquids every 5-10 minutes. I got this terrible pain in my upper chest, like I was having a heart attack!

My doctor told me that he had put in a smaller band because my liver is enlarged and he wants me to get the weight off asap. So I am very restricted. Last night I woke up and took a crushed pepcid with a few sips of Water and vomited. I had that terrible pain in my chest again. Out of desperation, I went on line and saw that the GasX is a life saver. I didn't associate this pain with gas, I normally don't feel gas there. So anyway......it worked. Thank you, my fellow January Bandsters, if it wasn't for you I don't know what I would have done last night.

Since I am very restricted, I was wondering if there are any others out there who can tell me how to get in all this liquid in without vomiting? Did most of you get your liquids in the first couple days after surgery? My doctor made it sound like everyone is up to 62 oz. right away.

Help!

Edie:cry

208/208/120

Sacramento, CA

Banded by Dr. Cirangle, in San Francisco two days ago.

So now comes the doubts again. More so, am I prepared at home? I have enough canned Soups to provide for a small country in Africa! Heating pad, Gas X, etc. I actually took the list from here, and checked everything off. The one thing I'll pick up today is the New whey Liquid Protein, and Benefiber. I have always been one with loose bowels, can't imagine constipation!!! I'll be up on that!

Congratulations on getting banded!

It's normal to have all those fears and questions. All you can do is try to get through it until you are done with the surgery and on the mend. It's probably best to keep yourself busy as you are doing, but other than that you just have to go through it.

After the surgery, even though there may be some pain for a few days, there is also a great feeling of relief that all those bad things you were worried about never happened. I remember a really strong feeling of relief right after surgery.

The truth is, the surgery is very low risk and it is very, very likely that everything will be fine. Whatever they do to you, call it poking around like a turkey or whatever, you'll be totally out and will not know it is happening. And you should not worry at all about waking up on the operating table. The anesthesiologist is there for the operation for the single purpose of making sure that does not happen. They know what they are doing and I would not worry about that particular point at all.

It will all be over soon.

HEllo January Bandsters..Just wanted to let everyone know that it's official..as of yesterday at 2:00pm I AM A A BANDSTER 4 LIFE!!! I'm in pain, groggy, and full of hot airr...literaly...lol..I stayed overnight due to my low oxygen levels...but I'm home now...I'm going back to bed, but I thought I'd update you guys..Thansk fot the prayers!!! I'll post more when I can type and see teh screen better..Thys tylenol with codein is gggoooooood sttuuuffff!!!!! LOVE YA GUYS!! smooches....:kiss2:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hello everyone,

I was banded on January 25th, two days ago. I ended up having to stay over night in the hospital. I was suppose to be in and out. Since I am self-pay that didn't exactly thrill me. But anyway, I'm home now. I felt really ill yesterday. I was trying to drink an ounce of liquids every 5-10 minutes. I got this terrible pain in my upper chest, like I was having a heart attack!

My doctor told me that he had put in a smaller band because my liver is enlarged and he wants me to get the weight off asap. So I am very restricted. Last night I woke up and took a crushed pepcid with a few sips of Water and vomited. I had that terrible pain in my chest again. Out of desperation, I went on line and saw that the GasX is a life saver. I didn't associate this pain with gas, I normally don't feel gas there. So anyway......it worked. Thank you, my fellow January Bandsters, if it wasn't for you I don't know what I would have done last night.

Since I am very restricted, I was wondering if there are any others out there who can tell me how to get in all this liquid in without vomiting? Did most of you get your liquids in the first couple days after surgery? My doctor made it sound like everyone is up to 62 oz. right away.

Help!

Edie:cry

208/208/120

Sacramento, CA

Banded by Dr. Cirangle, in San Francisco two days ago.

I remember having the same pressure feeling and it felt awful. It didn't last past 4 days for me. I kept on taking the Gas X strips. I was super restricted in the beginning. Try little tiny sips of hot tea. I had to sip sip sip all day, tiny sips or I felt like I would cough it up. I start the day with hot coffee and that helped me especially in the beginning.

I didn' realize the smaller band gave restriction right away because I am 3 weeks out and still restricted. i can onlly get 1 cup of cream or puree Soup. Last night we went out for dinner and I ordered pureed spinach with cheese and I could only get about 1/4 a cup in before I hiccuped and knew I had to stop.

Also, I would put my heating pad on my chest and it comforted me!