Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hide your JP Drain?

Is it possible to hide your JP Drain? I'm getting my surgery on Tuesday but I really don't want to miss my class on Thursday because she is giving us a test review for the week after next. I was thinking about takes a clothing pin and pinning it to the inside of my clothing. Has anyone else tried this?

No idea! I'm having my surgery Feb 26 lol!! I bet it tugs (at the least)!

Pinning the bulb to your clothing is actually how you manage it anyway. At least, that's how mine was. At the hospital, the nurses kept mine pinned to the inside of my hospital gown, and that's how I continued at home with my pajamas, except for showers, and then I pinned it to the gauze over the drain site. Here's the thing. You will have a tube coming out of your stomach, which will have a bit of length to it, and at the end of that tube there will be a bulb about the same shape as a Grenade and just a little bigger. You always squeeze the bulb after emptying it and replace the cap, so that it maintains some suction. That does make it flatter, so it's not like a ball under your shirt. It may be hard to hide unless you wear very loose clothing. I don't know if they're all positioned in the same place or not. Mine was just to the right of the center of my stomach, so out front and center and hard to disguise. It's not terribly large. The only thing I can think of is maybe if you wear a scarf and keep it on? Something that would hang down. Or a loose-ish jacket would probably cover it.

No, the drain does not hurt. Not one bit. I will admit, the first time I really looked at mine when I came home, I became queasy and a little lightheaded. That was only due to the idea of it though. It just freaked me out a tad to see something coming out of me like that. The only time I had a true ouch moment was when I sneezed once the day before I got my drain out. I had mine 10 days, and near the end I think the area was just starting to get irritated and my body was tired of it. I felt absolutely nothing when the drain was removed. No pain, no strange feeling. I credit my awesome surgeon with this. :)

Ugggg so glad i didn't have a drain. Sounds dreadful

Oh! And just a bit of advice. Always keep it in the forefront of your mind that that drain is pinned to your shirt! It's very easy to forget and yank it up to pull it over your head. I'm so glad to say I never did this, but I did come close a time or two. I never caught it on anything, and I don't even want to know what it would have felt like if I did. x[ I would not recommend pinning it to your pants, either. My mom suggested this one day, and I decided against it. I realized later when I went to the restroom what a horrible idea this would have been, because I'm certain I would not have thought about it when I went to pull my pants down.

Ugggg so glad i didn't have a drain. Sounds dreadful

It's definitely not fun, but seeing everything that came out made me glad that ick wasn't floating around inside of me.

Mine wasn't but about 4 inches long and was taped to my side with steristrips. Didn't have to pin it to anything. Was a little sore around the area, but I had staples there too so that was more of the where the soreness came from.

When I had mine I would often put the drain in my pants pocket and wear my shirt untucked so you couldn't see the tubing. Mine was also in the same location as described by katikati. The only time it hurt for me was when the skin around the tubing was trying to heal and then when the tubing got bumped it would hurt the fresh skin but I had mine for about 15 days due to Christmas in between my surgery and having it removed. Good Luck.

Is it possible to hide your JP Drain? I'm getting my surgery on Tuesday but I really don't want to miss my class on Thursday because she is giving us a test review for the week after next. I was thinking about takes a clothing pin and pinning it to the inside of my clothing. Has anyone else tried this?

My drain was actually located on my left side and I actually do feel it when I lie down and as another person said you feel it if you bump up against it. It doesn't really hurt to me, but its annoying and uncomfortable at times.

I keep mine pinned on the inside of my shirt and just.roll my shirt up and put a jacket/ shall over to hide it better. Hope that helps!

I had no problem concealing the drain. Wear a large comfortable shirt, pin it to the inside and you're done.

BUT...I can almost 100% guarantee you that you will not be attending class two days after surgery. It's not as simple as having a part of your stomach removed, this is major surgery. Your entire digestive tract will be affected. I informed my instructors before surgery and got a weeks extension. Have someone tape or take notes for you.

Mine wasn't but about 4 inches long and was taped to my side with steristrips. Didn't have to pin it to anything. Was a little sore around the area, but I had staples there too so that was more of the where the soreness came from.

Johnlatte....how long did Dr. Pirrello leave your drain in? I'm having my sleeve done with him as well in March. Just curious. I had actually never even heard of having a "drain" until I learned it from this forum.

The actual drain they took out before I left the hospital. The covered the spot with more steristrips. They took out the staples on my first post op visit at his office.

You will totally love Dr. Pirrello. He's very thorough. He seems very straight forward and stiff , but has a pretty wicked sense of humor once you get him to open up. I was sold the night at the orientation when he talked about why he does what he does (his dad). Which nutritionist are you seeing? I see Cheryl as she went through my preop diets with me. The other nutritionist and I got off on the wrong foot, so I moved on. I think if you follow his plan of attack, you will do really good. Good luck Hang Tough. Let me know how you do!

The actual drain they took out before I left the hospital. The covered the spot with more steristrips. They took out the staples on my first post op visit at his office.

You will totally love Dr. Pirrello. He's very thorough. He seems very straight forward and stiff , but has a pretty wicked sense of humor once you get him to open up. I was sold the night at the orientation when he talked about why he does what he does (his dad). Which nutritionist are you seeing? I see Cheryl as she went through my preop diets with me. The other nutritionist and I got off on the wrong foot, so I moved on. I think if you follow his plan of attack, you will do really good. Good luck Hang Tough. Let me know how you do!

Ok, that makes me feel better. I really like Dr. Pirrello. And I, too, was sold the night of orientation. I felt that he was genuine and very knowledgable. I met with him a few weeks ago for my new patient appointment and it was his last appointment of the day so he spent a lot of time just talking with my husband and I. I was planning on doing the RNY and after that meeting I decided on the sleeve and felt much better about that decision thanks to him. Thanks for the info :)