Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the hospital. Pain management issue.

I'm in the hospital after being sleeved on Tuesday. They're having trouble managing my pain because the meds make me nauseous and all that retching and heaving makes me think my new stomach is going to rip apart. I finally got them to put me on a Tylenol drip and after having no pain meds the day after surgery, I finally have some relief. But they keep pushing the Loritab or whatever it's called because that's what I'm going home with. I don't care!! If it makes me throw up I'm not taking it. I'm hoping by Friday I won't need pain meds anymore. Do you think this is possible? When did you stop taking the pain meds?

I stopped taking meds after 1 bag of morphine, so by the second night in the hospital.

It really depends on your pain threshold. I have a high tolerance for pain, and I feel as though that really helped me get through it without taking the lortab aka liquid Vicodin.

The morphine was making me nauseous in the hospital at first and I forget what anti nausea med it was that they gave me in the IV when my mouth would Water up and I would get that bubbly "I'm about to throw up" feeling in my chest.

It really depends on your pain threshold. I had my sleeve surgery Tuesday. I didn't have morphine I had the lortab drip. I only used it at night. I went home yesterday. Doing good at home. I only took Tylenol last night and had a pretty good sleep but I know I have a high pain tolerance.

I didn't have any opiates cuz i liked them too much in a past life. I only had Toradol in hosp and nothing to come home with. Opiates make some people sick, they made me happy lol hope you feel better soon.

I didn't have any opiates cuz i liked them too much in .a past life. I only had Toradol in hosp and nothing to come home with. Opiates make some people sick, they made me happy lol hope you feel better soon.

Sorry

Can you ask your doctor to send you home with something else? If it makes you sick, then he really should give you something different for pain management. I was on the morphine pump after surgery and it made me horribly nauseous too. They were giving me Zofran and Phenergan to stop it. I felt much better once I came off the pump. After that I had a Tylenol and an Ibupofen drip (The NSAID is okay in IV form). I was given a prescription for Dilauded that I used a few times at the hospital and a few times once I got home. The Dilauded never made me sick.

Most narcotic pain medicines will cause nausea in most people, I would hope they are giving you an ant nausea med with it but if they or not or it's not working ask for a different anti nausea med since some are more effective then others for some people. I personally don't like taking medicines so I didn't take any pain meds post op but not everyone can do that. Good Luck.

I had surgery on a wednesday , was discharged on a friday and never needed anything for pain once I left the hospital. I too used toradol in the hospital. Toradol ROCKS!!

Michelle

After I realized that the pain meds were making me vomit, I stopped taking them. About 24 hrs after surgery I stopped all pain meds because I vomited probably about 10 times while taking the morphine. Every time I pushed the morphine button I'd vomit about 5 mins later. I also puked during the leak test. It hurt so bad to vomit and it was brown dried up blood in the vomit. Once I stopped, I didn't vomit after that. Of course the pain was at a level 5-6 when I stopped pain meds but I've given birth without pain meds twice and I knew it would get better once my natural endorphins started working. I refused meds at home also. Morphine made me itch also. I hate pills and rarely medicate because when I do (take meds) they always cause some type of side effect and then you need another pill to help with the side effects of the next pill.

I never used pain meds once I left the hospital, not even tylenol. Every one is different. In the hospital, I don't remember what they gave me for pain, but it was an injection, there was no drip or anything like that.

I'm in the hospital after being sleeved on Tuesday. They're having trouble managing my pain because the meds make me nauseous and all that retching and heaving makes me think my new stomach is going to rip apart. I finally got them to put me on a Tylenol drip and after having no pain meds the day after surgery, I finally have some relief. But they keep pushing the Loritab or whatever it's called because that's what I'm going home with. I don't care!! If it makes me throw up I'm not taking it. I'm hoping by Friday I won't need pain meds anymore. Do you think this is possible? When did you stop taking the pain meds?

I didn't need any pain medications at all and I don't think that is as a result of a high pain threshold....I'm a punk for pain. I think each one of our cases is different, I would suggest that you make it clear that the medication makes you sick and to please prescribe an alternative pain drug.